WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Hiking Poles 1 pole or 2?

I have seen where some people take only one pole and some take two poles which is best? I have bought one for each of us and want to know if I should go ahead and get two for us?
    Please Help

I think it's hard to answer that question as it varies from person to person and hike to hike. I carry two since I use them for my LightHeart tent, but usually use one and let my hiking buddy use the other. Just depends and I would recommend starting off with just the set and see how it goes. You'll quickly learn if you're a trekking pole guy or not.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I assume from your past posts you are planning a thru. Look at the photos in the gallery of hikers on Katahdin who have thrued.
    How many are carrying one pole?
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by starbright View Post
    I have seen where some people take only one pole and some take two poles which is best? I have bought one for each of us and want to know if I should go ahead and get two for us?
    Please Help
    having 1, 2 or no poles doesn't guarantee a successful walk for the record i've never used any poles on my thru hikes

GA-ME 2011
    Images

If you were to take a poll I believe the majority would use two poles, second would be those that use none, and last would be those that use one.
    Using only one pole because you broke one and are too cheap to buy another set doesn't count
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

Using only one pole throws me off. Using it on a slope with hard spring snow is okay though, but not as good as two poles set to different lengths.

You really have to ask yourself why you want to use poles. Using them just because lots of other hikers use them isn't a good reason.

Images

Starbright, I use two. Occasionally, depending on the job at hand, or to give one arm a break, or to change things up during a flat tedious stretch of walking, I'll switch to one. If I have two I can always just use one of them--but if I only have one, well, that's my only option.

How did you buy single poles? Or did you buy a pair and share them? (In which case, are you and your partner about the same height?) Or did you buy a tall, 'walking stick' type pole? Those are a different animal from trekking poles, which are usually sold in pairs anyway.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

There's lots of articles on using trekking poles and one often sited study by the The Journal of Sports Medicine that concluded that the proper use of poles decreases the stress on knees by 25%.

http://www.thebackpacker.com/articles/tipsandhow/art201.php

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0602121000.htm
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Journal Entries

2 poles improves my balance, coordination, speed, and endurance. without them i feel awkward and clumbsy and slow. cheap poles are fine and expensive poles are not required. i recommend two poles.

Journal Entries
    Images

Personal comfort. For years I did not use them. Now I use only one. It helps alot with balance and knee wear. Seems like most are more comfortable with two.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Karma13 View Post
    Starbright, I use two. Occasionally, depending on the job at hand, or to give one arm a break, or to change things up during a flat tedious stretch of walking, I'll switch to one. If I have two I can always just use one of them--but if I only have one, well, that's my only option.

How did you buy single poles? Or did you buy a pair and share them? (In which case, are you and your partner about the same height?) Or did you buy a tall, 'walking stick' type pole? Those are a different animal from trekking poles, which are usually sold in pairs anyway.
    I purchased them at a flea market, 3 actually two of my children are hiking with me. But they have more so have been trying to figure out if needed two each. They are adjustable for different heights I am 5'7" and my son is 6'3" they seem to adjust for both.

I never used poles until I began my training hikes for my AT journey. I quickly decided that I would never again hike without them. They take a lot of stress off my knees on the descents and I dig in with them on climbs to help me on my way up. They also help with stability when the trail surface is really rough and are indispensable for balance when fording streams. Once in a while during boulder scrambles, they get in the way and I just hold them both in one hand or the other while I use the free hand to grab roots, tree trunks or rocks to pull myself up or ease myself down. On the occasional flat stretch, I carry them horizontal in one hand just for something different. Going through the Mahoosuc Notch and on part of the climb up Katahdin I collapsed both of them and carried them on the outside of my pack...they were useless to me on those 2 portions of the trail. I used the cheapest Leki poles I could find and was never disappointed with them.

In the days before trekking poles (in pairs) became common, I would almost always hike with a walking stick (one) I picked up from the forest. They are great for giving our hand something to do while walking. You can lean on them so you look more like a hiker when someone is taking your picture. You can whittle it with your pocket know while sitting around the camp fire. You can then poke said campfire to get the end of the stick nice and black and rounded. Then you can write things on rocks with the charcoal on the end of the stick. You can use it to fight off animals, or in the absence of animals you can wave it around and pretend your are a Kung Fu master. When you are done with it, you cast it off back to the forest.

These days I use two poles as they help my old knees, but I must say a nice walking stick has a certain aesthetic value that is lacking in aluminum rods.

For me four wheel drive works better than three wheel drive. Two knees, two poles.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Journal Entries
    Images

Thank you for your opinions I think I will try for two hiking poles and see if that works best for us. Balance is a major thing for me so I think I will go with two.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    In the days before trekking poles (in pairs) became common, I would almost always hike with a walking stick (one) I picked up from the forest. They are great for giving our hand something to do while walking. You can lean on them so you look more like a hiker when someone is taking your picture. You can whittle it with your pocket know while sitting around the camp fire. You can then poke said campfire to get the end of the stick nice and black and rounded. Then you can write things on rocks with the charcoal on the end of the stick. You can use it to fight off animals, or in the absence of animals you can wave it around and pretend your are a Kung Fu master. When you are done with it, you cast it off back to the forest.

These days I use two poles as they help my old knees, but I must say a nice walking stick has a certain aesthetic value that is lacking in aluminum rods.
    Whenever I see a walking stick placed against a trail head sign, used by and placed there by a fellow hiker at the end of his hike, I smile.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Images

I carry two poles, and they have saved me from many a nasty fall. For whatever reasons, I stumble a few times every day, more when the trail is rough. Having a stick in both hands it is easy to regain my balance. Don't know if this would work with one pole.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Default Walking in circles...

Count me among those that would end up walking in circles if I only had one pole.

When I started using poles, it took some time to get used to the most efficient technique. Now, I wouldn't hike without poles. I have a whole write-up on my web site. You might find some more good information there:

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/poles.html

Have fun out there.
    Visit my Travels and Trails site: http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor

Images

I started with one Scout hiking staff - I just don't trust the thin Al trekking poles. It worked fairly well, but broke about mile 110. I picked up a hoe handle (yeah, a hoe handle) and started using that. At the start of a long climb, I wondered out loud if I should try 2. Lo and behold, there was a perfectly shaped staff by the side of the trail. Used them the rest of the way. They kept me from several falls, but couldn't help me with the last one.

I put a rubber crutch tip on the natural pole and the hoe handle has a steel sheath that the hoe blade is supposed to go into. It got kinda crushed down over the 300+ miles !
    Last edited by Old Hiker; 10-23-2012 at 18:17.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Which is best? Whatever works for you. I like, and usually use, one pole. I usually carry two poles. I find my balance is better with no poles. Do some experimenting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++