WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I completed the JMT in 19 days late Aug - mid Sept / awesome. I used these maps http://johnmuirtrailmap.com/ along with the Tom Harrison map pack. They also have a "poster" size map that I framed and looked at every day leading up to my hike - and after! I also read the book by Elizabeth Wenk http://www.amazon.com/Elizabeth-Wenk/e/B004R0TMBC. Fax in your permit exactly at the first opportunity! Like at 5:01 on the first day you can. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Creek Dancer View Post
    .... I have soooo much to learn!

When backpacking on the AT, I generally do between 14 - 18 mile days, depending on the terrain, weather, etc. I usually hike about 8 - 9 hours with plenty of breaks for views, snacks and pictures.

For those of you familiar with both, would you say 15 miles per day is about right. I am just trying to figure out how many days this will take me.
    Yes! You're right in the average MPD JMT thru-hiker range. Go SOBO because it's easier to acclimatize to the higher elevation too. You might start out slower and gradually work your MPD up to your anticipated average which works out well because you have a fewer near to the trail supplemental resupply points in those northern sections(Tuolomne Meadow, Reds Meadow) if you fail to make your miles. But I wouldn't be overly concerned with the MPD thing especially if going SOBO. You'll do fine hitting that avg MPD given what you said.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    My wife and I just finished the JMT averaging right 16 miles a day, basically right at 1.9 MPH average speed including breaks, etc, meaning 8-9 hours of hiking every day, just like you say you do. This included a couple 20 mile days on the easier terrain and a couple 13 mile days sprinkled in for various reasons (weather, re-supply logistics, etc
    What Colorado Rob says is very typical for most JMT thru-hikers, even for those not from Colorado, some bigger mileage days, some shorter mileage days, with a 13-20 MPD avg over the course of the thru-hike. The last thing I would advise anyone to do on the JMT, particularly if it's your first time in the Sierras or thruing the JMT, is turning it into a race or speed hike!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++