WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: house/dog

Default house/dog

I think I've got a window coming this coming year where I could take a leave of abscence from work - and about the only issue I've got to figure out is what to do with my house. . .I have a mortgage but the payments are pretty low but I've also got an older dog with ACL problems that would not be able to hike the trail.

Options seem to be the following:

A) Have a friend or family member watch the dog - and rent out the house (probably needing to get a PM firm to manage things)
    B) Have a friend or family member house/dog sit either paying them or at least giving them a really good deal on the house
    C) Find a professional dog/house sitter. . .

Any help is appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Slugsworth View Post
    B) Have a friend or family member house/dog sit either paying them or at least giving them a really good deal on the house
    Maybe because I've house and pet sat for both friends and family members and I find that the best solution. Renting out a house for just 6 months can be very difficult.

A lot depends on how much of home owner responsibility you already do yourself, and how many things you are now paying others to do, like yard work, repairs etc. I'm a decent handyman so I usually take care of such things, but you might find a family member more willing if you can give them a list of who to call instead of them doing things themselves.

Also be sure that who ever you get has arrangements to move on when you return.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slugsworth View Post
    I think I've got a window coming this coming year where I could take a leave of abscence from work - and about the only issue I've got to figure out is what to do with my house. . .I have a mortgage but the payments are pretty low but I've also got an older dog with ACL problems that would not be able to hike the trail.

Options seem to be the following:

A) Have a friend or family member watch the dog - and rent out the house (probably needing to get a PM firm to manage things)
    C) Find a professional dog/house sitter. . .

Any help is appreciated!
    Slugsworth, I feel your pain. I had a giant beautiful rottweiler for many years who basically prevented me from taking vacations. The only reason I'm finally able to hike my hike is because she's passed on.

I did find someone to keep an eye on the house and cut the grass, and so on, but I'm paying him several thousand dollars to cover his time. He's a relative, and I feel comfortable trusting him. For me, that's a more comfortable issue than having a stranger in the house, despite the financial hit. I know, for instance, that he's not going to quit in the middle of my hike without my knowing about it.

The dog is a much stickier issue. You might look into long-term boarding options. I used to board Molly at the local vet. It was outrageously expensive, but I knew she was taken care of and played with, and I knew that there weren't any liability issues if she should, in fact, bite someone. (And she was a gentle, loving giant of a dog who never bit a soul. But I didn't want the threat hanging over my head. What would happen to my homeowner's insurance, etc, if a stranger in my house approached her in the wrong way?)

Molly, by the way, loved going to board at the vet. It was a long vacation for her! And she got to see other doggies! And new people!

I think when you live alone, everything comes down to extra money. Unless you have someone you can barter with: "I'll watch your house and your dog for 6 months, if you watch mine."

Yeah, my pup does not like boarding, no matter how nice the folks are, not to get into too much detail, but it upsets his digestive track. Having someone watch him at either my house or if it was a relative (which means shipping him a minimum of 1,000 miles) their house. Would really be the best option. . .

The other issue really is the house - I think getting someone to crash at my place and watch the dog is the answer.

Ug, I'll have to figure this one out!

Images

I would vote for option B. I would suggest being cautious about renting out your house for 6 months. Keep in mind that 80-90% of those who start the AT, don't finish. If you are injured, bored, need to come home and your house is rented, where do you live?
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Quote Originally Posted by Moose2001 View Post
    I would vote for option B. I would suggest being cautious about renting out your house for 6 months. Keep in mind that 80-90% of those who start the AT, don't finish. If you are injured, bored, need to come home and your house is rented, where do you live?
    Yeah, that's the fly in the ointment as it were. You may PLAN to be on the trail for up to 6 months, but it might only last a few days to a week.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have friends and far away family members who I pay $10 a night to take care of Rugby...They turn around to teens and exsplain ...vacume cleaning and feeding for $10 a night.... do your best...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I have a pet sitting business on the side and I bet theres also some good qualified sitters in your area that for a fair price, will care for your dog and home. check out www.psi.com. petsitters international, great site and 99% of the sitters are insured/bonded. Great option for you to at least check out...

++ New Posts ++