WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default suggestions on checking pack when flying

In preparation for a 2013 nobo thru attempt, I have been trying to determine the best way to check you backpack when flying. I have thought about putting my pack in a duffle bag or suite case (used and cheep from a garage sale or goodwill). My question is, what I would do with the suite case once I got to Atlanta. With all the security at the airport I am uncomfortable with the idea of trying to throw away a bag at the airport.

I have checked my pack many times since 9/11 without problems. I take apart my poles and put the sections in the pack. I make sure that my alcohol bottle is well rinsed and uncapped. No duffel or other protection. That being said, rather than worry the entire flight about whether my pack will be there when I get there or be damaged, I UPS my pack to a friend, shuttler, or whoever will be taking me to the trailhead. If I ship it in time for "brown label" -- ground transit -- it usually costs about $30 - $35 including having the UPS store do the packing. The UPS website has a calculator for rates and how much time to allow. On the flight home from a section, I usually just check the pack and it has always gotten there, unmolested. Why worry?

I don't think that would be a problem, if upon arriving, you went to one of the security people before leaving the gate and explained what you were doing and why. Your bag has already gone through security once at this point, but maybe they would want to watch you unpack before you leave it. The worst thing they would probably do is tell you that you can't use the airport as your garbage dump.

If you're using a shuttle service to get to the trailhead, why not ask them if they would like to keep the duffel bag for the next person who needs one for their flight. Kind of paying it forward. Or if they already have enough freebies in stock, put it in the closest goodwill drop.

Journal Entries

You can throw a duffle away after you leave the airport or mail it back to yourself, or perhaps find a goodwill to drop it off there.

I used to use a duffel bag and never had any trouble - but now I primarily use a ULA Circuit and it qualifies as carryon. The last time I flew I picked up a $2knife at a gas station and fuel for my pocket rocket when I arrived. One of the definate advantages of using a smaller pack.

I perfer the "ship ahead via UPS" method. You know for sure the pack will get there with all it's contents, you can put things in there you can't when flying and not having to deal with luggage at the airport makes things so much easier. I just carry a cheap little waist pack for carry on stuff, which either gets thrown away or sent home once I arrive.

That said, these days I just take the train. Takes longer and might cost more, but fewer hassles.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I bought a cheapo suitcase at a discount store for less than $30 for my pack and collapsed poles. I drained my alcohol fuel bottle and let it dry out completely before packing. My wife traveled with me to Atlanta and we stayed at a B&B in town. I gave the suitcase to the owner of the B&B and she was more than happy to take it.

I put my pack and poles in a duffle bag, then mail the duffle bag home from my destination. Not strictly necessary but using the duffle bag eliminates all the dangling straps which pose a danger of getting caught in a conveyor belt somewhere and being damaged.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Images

Cardboard box.

As a section hiker, I have had to check a pack on an airline a number of times. I simply put the rain cover on the pack to prevent loose straps and discourage pilfering of the pack contents, and check as baggage. Fortunately, the pack has arrived uneventfully at each destination so far.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Razorback View Post
    As a section hiker, I have had to check a pack on an airline a number of times. I simply put the rain cover on the pack to prevent loose straps and discourage pilfering of the pack contents, and check as baggage. Fortunately, the pack has arrived uneventfully at each destination so far.
    I use a trash compactor bag, same concept. Duct tape it closed, cut a small slit to let the pack-hook poke through, throw a name tag around that, good to go for checked baggage. Never had any problems.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

My pack was small enough, I carried it on. You can mail items too to the hiker hostel.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

i have used my pack to backpack around Europe. I flew a couple of times via easyjet or RyanAir and checked my bag over and over. I've checked my bag normally without anything but tucking in some straps about 20 times and have never had a problem. But you could be unlucky just once and I wouldnt want that to ruin a thru.
    Gradual Change You Can Believe in.

Live deliberately.

Best bet is wrapping it in plastic and duct tape it and make sure you have an address label on it with your name and phone number, you would be suprised how much lost luggage has no tags to identify whos bag it is.

Flew to Atlanta from Brisbane Australia, via Sydney, Nadi and L.A - both packs arrived safe and sound. Carried poles on carry-on, wrapped in bubble wrap and tips wrapped/covered in cardboard - no problems, even when going through security. Just wear your hiking boots, so you look like a hiker!! Had all straps tied up to prevent getting caught on anything. Used the computer tie things to "lock" the zip sections of pack. Made sure that there was nothing in top/side pockets that could be easily taken. Tied a HUGE knot using the drawstring at the top of the pack and then covered with the "lid" of the pack. Airports are fine, it's Greyhound you need to be careful of!!!

++ New Posts ++