WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: UL Cooking

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I would like a single-walled titanium or aluminum or even stainless cannister with a wide enough sealable lid that you can use it to cook in, eat and drink out of, carry water, and use as hot water bottle also. Why Nalgene didn`t come out with a metal replacement to their ill-fated BPA bottles is beyond me. I suppose they weren`t tooled up for it. Now others have taken over, but still no wide-enough mouthed in a single wall that you can cook with. I would carry two.
    JAK, how about one of these. Both can carry water and cook in them. The energy drink one is a little hard to cook in but not impossible.

The stove I'm using is the Fancee Feest. Works really nice for small diameter pots. Works great for large ones also. It has an integrated pot support.

Images

UL cooking is very simple. First is an alcohol stove, pepsi can, whatever. The lighter, the better. Next get a one pound coffee can and drill holes around the bottom and top for vents, plus for opposite holes about halfway up for 2 aluminum gutter nails. Next cut the top out of a fosters can and smooth the edges. Put the stove in the bottom, push the nails through the middle and place the can with two cups of water on top of the nails. Place the bottom of a cat=food can on top for a lid. You have a 6 ounce kitchen. Make a cozy out of aluminum windshield cover by cutting a piece to fit double the size of a quart freezer bag plus 3 inches and an inch on the sides. stitch together and put velcro at the top to close it. You now have an entire kitchen that weighs about 6.5 ounces. Put your dehydrated food in a one quart bag, add whatever you want and pour boiling water on top, close the cozy and let it sit for ten minutes. If it's too soupy, add mashed potatoes. I use dehydrated veggies from my garden, and dehydrated hambuger, tuna, whole wheat elbows, hamburger helper, tuna helper, etc. So far, it has worked very well and I always have a good meal at the end of the day.
    Gypsy 04

Images

I forgot a strip of aluminum about 4 inches by 12 inches for a wind shield. It all fits together in a cloth bag about 4 by 6 inches.
    Gypsy 04

Journal Entries

How do you deal with he messy freezer bag when you are done eating? How/when do you dispose of them?

Quote Originally Posted by LynnMT View Post
    How do you deal with he messy freezer bag when you are done eating? How/when do you dispose of them?
    Invert the bag and lick it clean. Invert it again and zip it shut or use it as a trash bag. Dump the bag(s) at next resupply or appropriate trash can. I've used this technique on many occasions in the desert SW. With often minimal water for cleaning, it really helps keep things quick and easy.

Images

Default Pot & Stove

I am using a Soto Stove + windscreen and an XLS Oilcamp pot. The pot saves 40% of the fuel, boils .5 L in 2:00 min. These come to about 10.2 oz. A little heavy but quick....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++