WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: BPL is dying

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Unless something drastically changed it's $25 a year not month.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    OK that's not unreasonable!

It is sad to see BPL going down the drain, I have gained a lot of valuable information off the forums there (all for free!). Hoping the UL section here starts to pick up a bit.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    I think it does, but it now cost $25 per month to post according to Lyle in post #52
    I am and have been a member of BPL for about 6 years. The $25 a month is news to me. I pay $19.99 a year but that is for access to articles. Posts have always been free to guests. There was recent talk about initiating a $10 per post for guest members only until the *spam* problem has been solved but at present forum postings and starting new threads is limited to present members. This is a TEMPORARY FIX while BPL works out how to handle the problem.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Images

The $25 a month does not pertain to BPL. It is part of Ryan Jordon's personal BLOG. It is the subscription price for a couple of his newsletters. BPL is still just $19.99 a year.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    The $25 a month does not pertain to BPL. It is part of Ryan Jordon's personal BLOG. It is the subscription price for a couple of his newsletters. BPL is still just $19.99 a year.
    My bad, that's $19.99 per year for present members renewal. It is $24.99 per month for new members.

Images

My bad, that's $19.99 per year for present members renewal. It is $24.99 per month for new members.
    I got a free membership last yr and this yr I could get the renewal for the $ 19.99. It took me yrs to decide that I wanted to join it. There is a lot of good information on the site esp if you want to go UL.
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Wow... I'm all about support but $300 a year is too much for me.

Or as a present member does that mean I can continue to renew for $19.99 a year - which is a fair price.

The forum antics isn't high up on my list - I like the articles.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...criptions.html

25/year for new members.. 20/year for renewal. i don't know where they are getting the /per month thing but i'm not seeing it.

basically, if you want to read more than 5 of the non-free articles then it works out. if not then I wouldn't bother. MLife does not seem to have any actual added benefits

If BPL shut down tomorrow, I don't think Whiteblaze would see much of an increase in traffic honestly. Probably 80% of the BPL posters live in the Western half of the US and aren't very interested in the AT or eastern trails. Who knows though. They will get the Spam straightened out at some point, and if they put out strong, technical articles the people will continue to be there.

Ryan

P.S. - The membership there is yearly, not monthly just so everyone is on the same page.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Green View Post
    If BPL shut down tomorrow, I don't think Whiteblaze would see much of an increase in traffic honestly. Probably 80% of the BPL posters live in the Western half of the US and aren't very interested in the AT or eastern trails. Who knows though. They will get the Spam straightened out at some point, and if they put out strong, technical articles the people will continue to be there.

Ryan
    I agree. It's a different bunch with some overlap.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Green View Post
    if they put out strong, technical articles the people will continue to be there.
    I was a member of BPL a few years ago. Good articles and they sold some items that were hard to find elsewhere. Then they stopped selling stuff, the articles went downhill and now I can't post. Too bad, I'd pay if I thought the site was going to survive.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

Wow... I'm all about support but $300 a year is too much for me.

Or as a present member does that mean I can continue to renew for $19.99 a year - which is a fair price.

The forum antics isn't high up on my list - I like the articles.
    Thanks 10K, my double bad. I meant $24.99 a year.

Images

The website has completely changed since I looked at it. The old one offered a couple of different blogs in which Ryan participated. They cost $25/month. The one I remember off hand discussed gear design and had limited membership because of the interaction. I no longer see them offered on the site.

I am and have been a member of BPL for about 6 years. The $25 a month is news to me. I pay $19.99 a year but that is for access to articles. Posts have always been free to guests. There was recent talk about initiating a $10 per post for guest members only until the *spam* problem has been solved but at present forum postings and starting new threads is limited to present members. This is a TEMPORARY FIX while BPL works out how to handle the problem.
    $10 per post? If this happened at Whiteblaze it would have cost me 3,500 post X $10=$35,000.

Images

Facebook and other social media have got to be taking a chunk out of all Forums. Will be interesting to see what forums survive in the next five years as social media swells and eats up more and more of folks online time. Then there are the individual blogs - webpages etc.... Forums will have to find a way to compete or become a place for ...... well Lone Wolf.
    Discover Kentucky's Long Tail. Join The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain, grow and preserve this national resource.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by traildust View Post
    Facebook and other social media have got to be taking a chunk out of all Forums.
    I hate FB and Twitter because it doesn't preserve information and make them easily accessible like forums do. Sadly, forums may decline in favor of mediocre mediums like FB and Twitter, much like texting has replaced a significant portion of instant messaging and email.

It seems an ADD society prefers their social mediums to have a similar handicap.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by traildust View Post
    Facebook and other social media have got to be taking a chunk out of all Forums. Will be interesting to see what forums survive in the next five years as social media swells and eats up more and more of folks online time. Then there are the individual blogs - webpages etc.... Forums will have to find a way to compete or become a place for ...... well Lone Wolf.
    It was only proposed that there be a $10 per post for unregistered guests, not members, until the SPAM problem is solved. As you are a member here Tipi, it would not cost you a dime. Instead it was decided to allow only posts by members until the problem is solved. I really have enjoyed the BPL forums, a lot of good info from some very good members. Their Gear Swap is really good. I have scored a lot of great gear there at super prices.

Images

It was only proposed that there be a $10 per post for unregistered guests, not members, until the SPAM problem is solved. As you are a member here Tipi, it would not cost you a dime. Instead it was decided to allow only posts by members until the problem is solved. I really have enjoyed the BPL forums, a lot of good info from some very good members. Their Gear Swap is really good. I have scored a lot of great gear there at super prices.
    Need to change glasses. Did not mean to quote trail dust. This was in responce to Tipi's post #76.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++