WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Personal saunas

For many of us. the purpose of rain jackets is to keep us warm when wet, not to keep us dry. Avoiding hypothermia is the goal. In short rain storms, I may be able to stay dry as well. Unless I'm not exerting myself, I'm going to sweat under my jacket, no matter how "breathable" it is.

For me on the AT, it boils down to getting wet and sweaty in 45-minutes wearing a waterproof breathable jacket or getting wet and sweaty in 20-minutes wearing a non-breathable jacket. I'm going to be walking for 8-hours a day. If I can get a good lightweight jacket that doesn't breath well for $40 at Dick's or spend hundreds on a Gore-tex jacket, is the extra money for an extra 20-minutes of breathablilty worth it?

I have a page with rain gear options and material options on my web site at: http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/raingear.html

It hasn't yet been updated to include Cuben Fiber. Pros: lgihtweight; Cos: durability may be an issue.

Packa comment: I like the Packa but found that unless I'm someplace with shelter, I needed an extra pack cover anyway. either that, or I got wet if I wanted to keep the pack dry.
    Visit my Travels and Trails site: http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor

I had been hunting for a new rain jacket for quite awhile. I ended up with an OR Helium 2. Extremely lightweight, a bit breathable and it works well as a windshirt as well. I think it is one of the best jackets on the market.

NCmedic.

I LOVE my Packa. Rain Jacket, pack cover AND my pillow!
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Ditto those that said there's no clear "best". To get a hope at a meaningful answer, whoever asks such a question helps a great deal by prioritizing different factors --- cost, weight, breatheability, ventilation, durability, coverage, hood or hoodless. I have multiple pieces of rain gear, including an eVent Packa, poncho, OR Helium (not the II, but similar it sounds like). Each of these is "best" depending on specific conditions and my biases for that particular trip. In hiking the AT I switched what I used as I went along --- as the shelter I carried was also related to my raingear choice.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

When money and wt aren't factored into what's "BEST" that Arcteryx Alpha SL/LT and Beta SL/LT sure are nice. But for those who live in the real world where durability, price, function, hiking style, time of yr hiking, etc need to be considered I like the Marmot Mica(not Super Mica) and GoLite Malpais. They both have excellent features and specs and either can be had for about $80 right now. In my mind definitely better than a Marmot Precip or anything from TNF.

Lowes' 12$ paint protection tyvek suit with the leg bottom cut off and pit holes opened up. size XL. about 4 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by juma View Post
    Lowes' 12$ paint protection tyvek suit with the leg bottom cut off and pit holes opened up. size XL. about 4 oz.
    Would you consider this the very best rain jacket? I'd like to see it after a couple days in the rain on a briar and blowdown filled trail. The whole point of a rain jacket is to get jabbed and stuck and thorned and still never leak or get holed. Tyvek won't cut it.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Would you consider this the very best rain jacket? I'd like to see it after a couple days in the rain on a briar and blowdown filled trail. The whole point of a rain jacket is to get jabbed and stuck and thorned and still never leak or get holed. Tyvek won't cut it.
    It seems the best for him and not you.

His trails sounds more like trails than arduous 'shwacking.

Which again lends itself to the adage there is no such thing as the BEST gear.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    It seems the best for him and not you.
    Am I the only one who wants a jacket that is rugged and can take abuse? If not, than tyvek may be the best for him but not for a host of others, not just me. And the whole point of this thread is the Very Best Rain Jacket. I wouldn't put tyvek in that category.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Am I the only one who wants a jacket that is rugged and can take abuse? If not, than tyvek may be the best for him but not for a host of others, not just me. And the whole point of this thread is the Very Best Rain Jacket. I wouldn't put tyvek in that category.
    For trail hiking? No. I use Dri Ducks which aren't far removed from the Tyvek.

I have a more rugged shell when I go climbing, backcountry skiing and/or off-trail hiking.

Juma obviously likes his Tyvek suit and it is the best for him.

I'm not about to tell him his choice is wrong for him.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    For trail hiking? No. I use Dri Ducks which aren't far removed from the Tyvek.

I have a more rugged shell when I go climbing, backcountry skiing and/or off-trail hiking.
    Mags, years ago you recommended people look into the low priced Campmor rainjacket, which I believe was $30-$40 and coated. Do you still like this?

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Mags, years ago you recommended people look into the low priced Campmor rainjacket, which I believe was $30-$40 and coated. Do you still like this?

If you want more waterproofness, durability and on budget, think it is still a good way to go for an all around shell. You will sweat, though...

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___77687

Even has pit zips and such, too.

If you are really on a budget and want more "in camping" vs hiking rain gear or something to throw on when stopped, this old school shell just might work
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___77699

You'll really sweat when moving.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Images

I have Gore-Tex rain jackets from Arc'teryx, Marmot, GoLite, Duluth Trading, U.S.G.I. mil-spec, etc.,.....
    Also have a Patagonia with their own proprietary version of breathable Gore-like material.

And,.....I have a cuben fiber Packa. (You might say I have a fetish for jackets of all kinds.)
    I use the Arc'teryx on the range, the Marmot on the motorcycle in warm weather, the Duluth on motorcycle in cold weather.
    The U.S. mil-spec has been retired. (too heavy)
    I used to take the GoLite while backpacking UNTIL I got the Packa. Now the GoLite is retired also.

For what YOU want it for, ....backpacking the AT......the cuben Packa is the ticket!

I like my Montbell Torrent Flier gortex jacket. 10 oz

Quote Originally Posted by Cadenza View Post
    For what YOU want it for, ....backpacking the AT......the cuben Packa is the ticket!
    I really appreciate all the plugs for a cuben fiber Packa. However, personally I don't think cuben is the way to go. I can tape the seams, but that adds $50 to and already expensive cuben packa that costs $250. That's $300, $190 more than a regular nylon Packa just to save about 4 maybe 5 oz. That cost increase is just not worth it to me. The nylon Packa weighs about 12.5 oz for a large. However, if you want a cuben fiber Packa, I can do it. Thanks again for everyone's support.
    Cedar Tree

Images

Thanks for the info, Cedar Tree. The honest assessment is much appreciated.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Love my Marmot Precip. Light and keeps it all out.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

As many have stated previously breathable and waterproof do not go hand-in-hand. I have a Marmot Aegis jacket. It has large pit zips and a 2-way front zipper to provide additional air flow. It's not perfect but it does what it is suppose to do.

It's different for everyone, and there's no "one true ultimate rainjacket," because rain protection is always a compromise in one direction or another.

For me? The best rain jacket has been, and remains to be a O2 Hooded Rain Shield jacket. Marketed to cyclists, $25, repairs well with duct tape and it's reasonably waterproof, fairly breathable, acceptably durable. A bit better than driducks in every aspect except that it's a little bit bulkier when compressed down. The only thing I'd consider replacing it with would be the ZPacks DWR cuben hybrid jacket, but I could buy many many O2 jackets for the same cost and little benefit.

Really though, the best rain jacket is the one you have with you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++