WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

:banana Just saved 23 ugly ounces!

Ok, so I finally have all of my backpacking gear bought. Couldn't really think of anything else I needed. So this past weekend I did a cool-weather shakedown trip for the first time with all the stuff I've collected over the past year or so. Summer weight was 30.4 lbs, March on Springer weight was 36 lbs.

Then I spent Sunday hauling it all up and down the hills at the Meriweather Lewis Monument on the Natchez Trace. Found out the semi-hard way that 36 lbs is too much...

Anyhow, just got back from REI, where I traded in my old Therma-Rest Trail Lite Large pad, at a whopping 39 ounces, and got the new NeoAir XLite Large pad, at just 16 ounces. What a huge difference it makes, not only in weight, but in space. That other pad was like carrying another sleeping bag.

Gonna shave more weight by ditching the tent footprint, one of my nesting titanium pots (didn't need it), and consolidating stuff sacks.

I also found out that the only thing I didn't have, but needed, was a bandanna. Picked up a couple at the dollar store on the way home, too.

Now I'm gonna spend the afternoon gear-bombing the den and repacking my pack.
    Double Wide is now BLUEBERRY
    Northbound (2nd Attempt) March 2017

Images

Default Just saved 23 ugly ounces!

Lol! Awesome! There's nothing better than a shakedown hike! Maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Only fifteen or so pounds to go!

Good for you! There's nothing better then saving weight/space! Perhaps you can post a gear list for a little critiquing And yes, bandannas are a great thing to have. I carry three at all times and constantly use them.

GL.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

The gear list won't be for awhile. I'm *considering* coughing up the dough for a Western Mountaineering bag, and that'll take about another pound and a half off. Plus I may change packs too. Was looking at the Osprey today and me likey.

I don't see what the fuss is, you spent money and have lighter gear. It is not that hard to do.

^^ You my friend, are a troll.... and a douche.

Journal Entries
    Images

Every time I go through my pack I think of something else which is "needed" who knows what it weighs now??????????? Thinking about starting the hike with nothing and picking up what is needed along the way...............>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsirocco View Post
    I don't see what the fuss is, you spent money and have lighter gear. It is not that hard to do.
    Apparently a lot of people think differently, since the topic is continuously discussed here
    If you spring for the Western Mountaineering bag you will be very pleased with your choice. I'm not an UL hiker by any means, but I replaced my old North Face with a WM down bag a couple years ago and I still gloat over how small and light it is every time I use it. Much easier to pack and so warm at the end of the day!
    Good luck with your shakedown!

Quote Originally Posted by Double Wide View Post
    The gear list won't be for awhile. I'm *considering* coughing up the dough for a Western Mountaineering bag, and that'll take about another pound and a half off. Plus I may change packs too. Was looking at the Osprey today and me likey.
    Why not post the list first and get some input? If your summer baseweight is 30 pounds, I'd bet the farm that we can knock 10 pounds off that without spending much money at all. I don't think you would regret buying a WM bag, but in terms of dollars spent / weight saved, I guarantee there are more efficient uses for your money.

Thanks TW.

And to the troll, actually, I *didn't* spend any money. It was REI, so I got store credit for my old (still in perfect condition) mattress pad. Also, earlier this summer I bought a Sea to Summit silk bag liner from their website. Took it out for the first time a week ago and realized they sent me a used-damaged-returned liner, so I got full credit for that, too. Plus I had a gift card I got for my birthday earlier in the year. So, technically, lightened up without spending any money.

But thanks for trolling, jerkoff. Thought this was a place to come and not only ask advice but celebrate small victories and new-found knowledge. I guess I forgot that there are few miserable losers with nothing better to do than to harsh everyone else's mellow...

Thanks TW.

And to the troll, actually, I *didn't* spend any money. It was REI, so I got store credit for my old (still in perfect condition) mattress pad. Also, earlier this summer I bought a Sea to Summit silk bag liner from their website. Took it out for the first time a week ago and realized they sent me a used-damaged-returned liner, so I got full credit for that, too. Plus I had a gift card I got for my birthday earlier in the year. So, technically, lightened up without spending any money.

But thanks for trolling, jerkoff. Thought this was a place to come and not only ask advice but celebrate small victories and new-found knowledge. I guess I forgot that there are few miserable losers with nothing better to do than to harsh everyone else's mellow...
    Excellent post!

You won't regret the WM bag. The Osprey pack, on the other hand . . . heavy, made in China.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsirocco View Post

thanks for your completely useless post!!

I always hear people rave about Osprey bags but I just don't get it? They're different with the arch, etc. but I guess they're just not for me. I have never hiked with one but I've tried many of them on in store and never found them to be all that comfortable. Everyone's different though...

Congrats on the new gear acquisition. Glad to see people lightening their loads for a more enjoyable time. Be careful... cutting pack weight can become both obsessively addictive and expensive!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
    I always hear people rave about Osprey bags but I just don't get it? They're different with the arch, etc. but I guess they're just not for me. I have never hiked with one but I've tried many of them on in store and never found them to be all that comfortable. Everyone's different though...

i just tried on the osprey aura 65 and i LOVED it!!!

I have the same pack, gizzy bear, and I love mine too. Fits me like a glove.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by gizzy bear View Post
    i just tried on the osprey aura 65 and i LOVED it!!!
    hmmm, I would definitely consider giving them another try but I'm addicted to my ULA Circuit

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Recommend ULA or Granite Gear AC 60 Packs, about 2 pounds, plenty of room.
    Keep the silk liner, it keeps your bag clean and is easy to wash. Also adds warmth when temps are in the teens.
    Tyvec ground cloth, also used to protect the Neo when you sleep on shelter floors. And you will sleep on shelter floors in the Smokeys. Holes in the Neo suck!
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++