WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns

Default Guns

Is a gun needed? Not for the intent of killing, but for the intent of safety?

Will be hiking SoBo in June with my friend and 2 dogs. I don't think I will need a gun, but my friend thinks that it may help in the 100 mile wilderness section for dog food, or even food for us.

Plus, I am worried about carrying a gun through a number of different states.

What are thru-hikers opinions of this?

Journal Entries

Yes, carry a gun and blast anything that moves and then feed to your dogs. That way you never have to carry food for them. If you are already planning on shooting animals for your dogs then you clearly have not planned enough or thought this out.
    In general the safety on the trail is better than most cities. People are actually friendly on the trail...for the most part. There are many hikers on the trail that dont care for dogs. If the dogs are not well behaved and excellently trained and you are not willing to carry their food or clean up after them, then do everyone a favor and leave them at home. Dont bring them.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

gun_show_gun_show_poster-rba0040b2ca0a4f2290d1558d0340a4c0_wad_400.jpg

Rather take a gun for hunting (which may not be legal in Maine at the time of the year), better to pack the appropriate amount of food.

If your schedule permits, I strongly suggest you get out for a one week backpacking trip to dial-in your system first.

Finally: Two dogs may be logistically difficult. (All the more more reason to get out for a week IMO)
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

if you can hit a tick from 25 yards, bring the gun. ticks are the biggest threat to a thru hike.you dont need a gun. if youre going to carry, make sure you check the lawsand do it legally.

You CAN carry but I'm sure you will make a lot of people uncomfortable. I get grilled for carrying a regular sized knife, couldn't imagine the heat I would catch if I were packing!
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

To the OP -

!

You have lots of time between now and June to visit this forum and learn tons of useful information. Research threads, read, and post questions. Most members are helpful - just ignore the random few who always seem to get up on the wrong side of the bed in the morning

I don't have a gun, and I don't know diddly about guns or gun laws, but I'm sure there is a legal age to carry, which may vary in each state. That alone may settle your question about taking a gun. The overwhelming majority feel that guns are unnecessary. Opinions are divided about taking dogs on the trail.

By the time June rolls around, you will have a lot more information and knowledge to help you on your hike. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Austin_Knott View Post
    Is a gun needed? Not for the intent of killing, but for the intent of safety?

Will be hiking SoBo in June with my friend and 2 dogs. I don't think I will need a gun, but my friend thinks that it may help in the 100 mile wilderness section for dog food, or even food for us.

Plus, I am worried about carrying a gun through a number of different states.

What are thru-hikers opinions of this?
    There is no legal way for you to carry a handgun in some states. In view of your age, probably all of them (possibly excepting Vermont). A rifle is even more dead weight, and probably also illegal in most places (hunting laws and park regulations). If you insist on bringing dogs, have them carry their own food.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I'm just waiting for someone to come on board this thread, not notice the age and inexperience of the OP, and try to start something. Hope not.

Images

You and your friend will be posted on this site as a warning to others this June
    You're not going to live forever
    Find this to be true
    Use your past as a guide
    While you're alive
    Live

You are seventeen now? When I was seventeen I was already teaching NRA Hunters Firearms Safety and Small Arms Safety, long before Florida required them to get a license. When I was twenty-one I was running the rifle range at the local Boy Scout camp.

I would suggest you find the nearest Hunters Firearm Safety course in your county ad sign up. According to the North Carolina Hunting web site;
    instruction includes ethics and responsibility, conservation and wildlife management, wildlife identification, survival and first aid, specialty hunting and tree stand safety.
    While you are there, some old-timers will also tell you that the chance of killing game for dog food with a pistol is remote.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Default Hunting seasons

Irrespective of the practicalities of killing game for dog food, or lack of same, hunting is subject to strict seasons as to what species can be taken and by what methods. I have never heard of any state having an open season on small game in June-July-August. This aside from the myriad of state laws concerning carrying firearms.

The better idea is to leave the dogs, and the weapons, at home.

AO

If you run out of food in 100 mile wilderness, the gun might be handy to shot the dogs so you have something to eat. Your dogs will be the only thing bigger than a chipmonk you'll see out there and will provide a much better meal.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I would recommend a M 249 SAW (shoulder sling is adaptable to any UL pack)... with your parents permission of course.

Serious side : I have been reading WB religously everyday for the past few months gaining valuable information on gear, techniques and experience. It's a weatlh of great information. I too am very excited about my 2013 Thru. However every so often a post like this comes along... and I can't help but to chime in.

Not to shine a mirror on myself, but from the time I was 18, I carried a gun as a police officer. I never once fired it in the line of duty, however would have been justified several times. Over the years I did see way too many civilians with no firearms or tactical training carrying weapons claiming for self defense purposes. This is a recipe for disaster.

At 17 years old, a gun should be the last thing on your mind (unless you're and avid hunter). Situational Awareness is the key to your safety. The best way to defend an attack is to anticipate an attack. This can be applied to all aspects of your hike including paying attention to weather conditions, geography, knowing how to use your equipment to the best of its ability, the ability to remain calm in a stressful situation and lastly identifying a potential two legged threat.

Your focus should be on the Trail, an adventure of your life, and life experience of independancy and responsibility at your age. Do yourself a favor... avoid the guns, enjoy your hike and by all means bring dog food.

Sorry if I sound like your father...

"Ultimate victory is in avoiding the fight."

- Sun Tzu

Keep us up to date on how this works out for ya.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tjkenney67 View Post
    I would recommend a M 249 SAW (shoulder sling is adaptable to any UL pack)... with your parents permission of course.

Serious side : I have been reading WB religously everyday for the past few months gaining valuable information on gear, techniques and experience. It's a weatlh of great information. I too am very excited about my 2013 Thru. However every so often a post like this comes along... and I can't help but to chime in.

Not to shine a mirror on myself, but from the time I was 18, I carried a gun as a police officer. I never once fired it in the line of duty, however would have been justified several times. Over the years I did see way too many civilians with no firearms or tactical training carrying weapons claiming for self defense purposes. This is a recipe for disaster.

At 17 years old, a gun should be the last thing on your mind (unless you're and avid hunter). Situational Awareness is the key to your safety. The best way to defend an attack is to anticipate an attack. This can be applied to all aspects of your hike including paying attention to weather conditions, geography, knowing how to use your equipment to the best of its ability, the ability to remain calm in a stressful situation and lastly identifying a potential two legged threat.

Your focus should be on the Trail, an adventure of your life, and life experience of independancy and responsibility at your age. Do yourself a favor... avoid the guns, enjoy your hike and by all means bring dog food.

- Sun Tzu
    youve said it better than any of us

Journal Entries

Slo-go'en, i wanted to say that but i thought it sounded mean and heartless and i have been trying to watch my manners around here.

Images

You don't need firearm. The dogs will be difficult - yes, there have been dogs who have completed thru-hikes, but countless others did not. Bringing a dog greatly elevates the responsibilities you will have on the trail -- kind of like taking a toddler with you.

If you get a week for spring break this year, go hiking out in the mountains of NC or Georgia. That will help a lot with your planning for June.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

- Sun Tzu
    Great advice. Maybe the reason I think it is great advice is because I am old enough to be the OPs father. I definitely believe in a persons rights to bear arms, especially in self defense. However, you do not need a gun on the AT. Your best weapon against potential harm is your brain and sound judgement.

Images

If you think you need a gun, you're probably not ready to bring dogs on a long hike.

Quote Originally Posted by snifur View Post
    Yes, carry a gun and blast anything that moves and then feed to your dogs. That way you never have to carry food for them.
    These are excellent responses and I'd like to add one more from the foremost backpacking experts in America, Jackie and Jeremy Blowhole. They were asked a similar question on an Expert Roundtable hosted by Kurbin Toment and here's their answer---

"Next question---Should I carry a rifle while hiking the Appalachian Trail?"

BLOWHOLES: "Weapons are important when backpacking and we've carried everything from slingshots and crossbows to mortar tubes and crew serviced 20mm canons. You have to find what's comfortable for you and how much firepower you feel you need when encountering questionable characters on the trail. Sometimes a simple ring of punji pits dug around the tent will suffice, other times you've got to have claymore mines set out for protection. The rule of thumb is 75% of your total pack weight should be in weapons and ammo."

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++