WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Packa

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Drifter, do I recognize that picture of you in the snow?

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

I remember meeting Cedar Tree in the Smokies. He'd already done his thru and like me just out for the weekend getting woods time in. He offered me the chance of checking out the Packa then but I didn't--later when I did check it out I regretted not jumping on it when I had that first chance.
    We're out every other week-almost 4 years non stop being out there and the Packa is always packed.
    I think most know how good it is for backpacking (and I've even mastered how to remove my pack withou
    taking the Packa off!) but over the last year we've gotten in 1600 miles of bikecamping and decided that it
    is an awesome garment for cycling.
    We're headed to the Big South Fork next weekend. The Packa is already packed.
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    I think most know how good it is for backpacking (and I've even mastered how to remove my pack withou
    taking the Packa off!) but over the last year we've gotten in 1600 miles of bikecamping and decided that it
    is an awesome garment for cycling.
    We're headed to the Big South Fork next weekend. The Packa is already packed.
    Please explain. I own a packa, but don't understand how it would be implemented on a bike. Are you doing mountain bike camping with a backpack? I am looking to start touring, but I would use panniers and I can't see how a packa would help there.

Speaking of bikes, I am headed out for a cup of coffee in the next town over.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    One thing that has not been mentioned is that with the Packa on; shoulder straps, hip belt, any hip belt pockets, shoulder strap pockets, etc. stay dry.
    The first and only real advantage I've seen or heard mentioned.

Not ready to buy yet though. I like my plastic bags, rain cover, syl-nylon jacket and rain wrap. Much lighter combo and more versatile.

"The first and only real advantage I've seen or heard mentioned."
    Perhaps opinions on this sort of thing will always vary, but if you think that keeping straps and hip belt dry is the only real advantage, I feel that there's a communication issue. For me, at least, the big advantages are:

(1) being able to quickly don and doff raingear as conditions change --- without stopping to take off the pack
    (2) better ventilation; those straps and hip belt constrain a normal coat, the packa stays loose over everything, so with the big vents open, it can really vent
    (3) the sort of whole-system complete coverage that a poncho offers, but more form fitting, not a problem in high wind
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    Perhaps opinions on this sort of thing will always vary, but if you think that keeping straps and hip belt dry is the only real advantage, I feel that there's a communication issue. For me, at least, the big advantages are:

(1) being able to quickly don and doff raingear as conditions change --- without stopping to take off the pack
    (2) better ventilation; those straps and hip belt constrain a normal coat, the packa stays loose over everything, so with the big vents open, it can really vent
    (3) the sort of whole-system complete coverage that a poncho offers, but more form fitting, not a problem in high wind
    I agree. My post said "one thing not mentioned" not "the only thing". Another thing that I like is the fact that I can carry my tarp in and outside pocket and when raining remove it with the Packa still on through the giant pit vents.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

I just received the newest sample of a 10 Denier Packa from my manufacturer. 7.8 oz right out of the box!! Fully taped and ohhh so sweet. Not available yet but should be in about 6 -8 months. Price estimated to be around $165, or about half the cost of a cuben Packa and only 1 oz more than cuben. For you Aarn bodypack users, I also received the first "bodypacka" sample. It is also very nice and much more technical than the regular Packa as it was designed by Aarn Tate himself.
    CT

Images

make it in 6 months and ill buy one.
    when are you going to make chaps
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Actually, I have a gore tex jacket I use for every day, and my new Packa (not goretex - he tried mightily to talk me out of it) is significantly lighter than that. Likely won't use it for longer than day hikes before I hit the trail in March, but I will have some loaded day hikes for training. I have a cuben rain kilt that I also intend to use as a ground cloth in camp. Will likely carry a trash bag to cover the pack when setting up in the rain.
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

Since I started this thread I have been in contact with Eddie (Packa inventor). We talked about doing a breathable cuben Packa as a prototype but he kinda talked me out of it.....for now. Eddie can use any Packa he wishes and chooses to wear the eVent model and sacrifice the 4-5 oz penalty.

Eddie was kind enough to send me a loaner sil version prior to a week-long trip I just had in Arkansas. I gotta say, I loved the product. I thought I had a nice rain jacket (Montbell Peak) and it is a nice jacket. It breaths OK when I'm not wearing a pack. But when I have a pack on the Montbell soaked me. The sil Packa, by being completely over my pack actually felt less clammy than the breathable Montbell. You just get incredible air flow with the loose fit and not having the pack straps holding your jacket tightly to your body. That said, my arms would get soaked quickly in the sil Packa. You just don't get any air flow around your arms. Other than wet arms the rest of me stayed dry. I loved being able to put on the Packa when the rains came and just slip it off (letting it just hang there) when the rains stopped. On cold, windy days I wore it as a wind-stopper and had lots of control with regards to temperature. With the way the front zipper is designed and the large pit zips, you can really dial in your comfort. The dang thing makes a pretty good pillow too.

Eddie likes the eVent version for its added breathability and more solid feel the the material. He says he just trusts it better and feels the weight penalty is worth it. I have not worn the eVent version but am about to get one. I feel the eVent material will solve the sweaty arms and perform better once temps rise a bit.

Anyone else got an eVent Packa?
    Last edited by ChinMusic; 01-03-2013 at 23:17.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I have the regular silnylon version. I bought it because of this blog. Beyond the product (which I think is superior) is the seller. Eddie is a unique person. He deserves all the business he gets. For those on the fence, if all things are equal in your mind, buy from him. Trust me on this. He is a rare person.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 01-04-2013 at 07:52.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I have an early eVent Packa prototype. As you note, this should address having your arms wet-out unless you're really exerting yourself.

While I'm a big fan of eVent over the various flavors of Gore-Tex, I'd be very interested in cutting out another 5 ounces with a Cuben fiber version. Once you get your base weight down, there aren't very many places left to cut out quarter-pounds.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    I have an early eVent Packa prototype. As you note, this should address having your arms wet-out unless you're really exerting yourself.

While I'm a big fan of eVent over the various flavors of Gore-Tex, I'd be very interested in cutting out another 5 ounces with a Cuben fiber version. Once you get your base weight down, there aren't very many places left to cut out quarter-pounds.
    That is why I liked the idea of the breathable cuben Packa. It would def be under 10 oz. Eddie got a sample of the material and had some reservations regarding it. Right now a breathable cuben Packa would be VERY expensive as well. I think a breathable cuben Packa is in the cards at some point. It just won't be ready for prime time for my thru this season.

That leaves me with the choice of a sil, an eVent, or a regular cuben Packa. I feel, and this is just me, the sil or regular cuben will feel too clammy to me. Maybe I could live with it, I don't know. I only got to use the sil that one week under fairly cool conditions (30-45) and got soaked arms. I didn't think of it then but maybe I could put my arms thru the pit zips. The Packa design impressed the heck out of me. After just a few wearings I knew it would work for me on a thru.

I agree that the eVent version goes against my pattern of dropping pack weight. Eddie is weight conscious too but still chooses the eVent version over the sil or regular cuben for his personal use. This says a lot to me.

edit: I ordered a large breathable cuben jacket from ZPacks. Right now they only make a M and L. The L was just too dang small. There is no way I could have worn much clothing under it. Joe is in New Zealand right now and I am told they may be offering other sizes once he returns. The material seemed fine, maybe a bit "waxy".
    Last edited by ChinMusic; 01-04-2013 at 14:14.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++