WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sandy + snow

Default Sandy + snow

Hi there,

Anyone here currently SOBOing? I'm in NJ with a few others, and we didn't hear about the storm until pretty late. We are supposed to enter PA tomorrow, but obviously that isn't happening. But now I'm pretty worried that the trail may be impassable completely through Pennsylvania and Virginia with the high amount of snow predicted. What are your plans? Anyone not currently hiking care to chime in with some ideas?

Stay safe,
    Jared

I am not thruing now but I am going to guess. That snow won't last long. I'd sit pat and wait for actual reports of what happened with the storm. I would guess that after few days it will be the blowdowns that could be the issue.

Glad you heard about Sandy in time to pull off trail for a bit. It's gonna be pretty miserable out there, at best, for a few days.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I haven't heard of any forecast of snow here in eastern PA, just wind and rain. The snow is predicated for the mountains in the Somerset area, which is 100 miles west of the AT.

Iceman

Images

I'm southbound (Reese) and I'm currently hunkered down in Waynesboro, PA. There wont be any snow through PA. It's high water you'll have to worry about. In PA though you're mostly on ridgelines so even that wont be a problem. Just a lot of rocks and blow downs ahead of you. There is snow south of me, but I'm guessing that even that will melt fast enough that it wont be a major problem. Good luck out there! If the Doyle is still standing in Duncannon, make a point to stay there...

Great advice about the Doyle, but they tend to flood easily in Duncannon, PA. Play it by ear and don't do anything too dangerous. Living with the weather is the hardest part of a long hike.

Quote Originally Posted by VTATHiker View Post
    I'm southbound (Reese) and I'm currently hunkered down in Waynesboro, PA. There wont be any snow through PA. It's high water you'll have to worry about. In PA though you're mostly on ridgelines so even that wont be a problem. Just a lot of rocks and blow downs ahead of you. There is snow south of me, but I'm guessing that even that will melt fast enough that it wont be a major problem. Good luck out there! If the Doyle is still standing in Duncannon, make a point to stay there...
    Hey Reese... I'll try to post on WB about any weather related problems for you & ic329827 when you hit central VA. Here's my cell # 540-815-1289. I'm a trail angel in Daleville VA . I like to help out the forgotten SOBO's. Be safe. Bobblets Gap,Cornelius Creek, Thunder Hill and Black Horse Gap are great places for trail magic... Give me a "heads up"....

Default SOBOs to Newfoiund Gap?

From The Weather Channel:

"Up to ten inches of snowfall was measured as far south as Newfound Gap, Tenn. at an elevation of 5,000 feet."

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    Hey Reese... I'll try to post on WB about any weather related problems for you & ic329827 when you hit central VA. Here's my cell # 540-815-1289. I'm a trail angel in Daleville VA . I like to help out the forgotten SOBO's. Be safe. Bobblets Gap,Cornelius Creek, Thunder Hill and Black Horse Gap are great places for trail magic... Give me a "heads up"....

Hey there, HikerMom,
    My friend and I are also SOBO, holed up with friends near DC for the storm, but heading back to the trail at Harpers Ferry when we know what the situation is like. Any chance we could give you a call as well?

Thanks!
    Carry-On and Eagle Eye
    "Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I know there is 3 inches of snow, at least, near the AT in the Blackburg area... Mountain Lake.

......Blacksburg VA , that is.......

Sobo, was in Harpers Ferry. Waiting this storm out at home.
    APPALACHIAN ​STATE

Quote Originally Posted by MissMagnolia View Post
    Hey there, HikerMom,
    My friend and I are also SOBO, holed up with friends near DC for the storm, but heading back to the trail at Harpers Ferry when we know what the situation is like. Any chance we could give you a call as well?

Thanks!
    Carry-On and Eagle Eye

No problem .... you have my cell # 540-815-1289.... PM me yours so we can stay in touch...I'll do anything I can to help u out.

Be Careful!!

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc89 View Post
    Sobo, was in Harpers Ferry. Waiting this storm out at home.
    That's great you could get home...

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    From The Weather Channel:

"Up to ten inches of snowfall was measured as far south as Newfound Gap, Tenn. at an elevation of 5,000 feet."
    There was actually over 3 and 4 ft snow drifts on newfound gap, clingmans, and leconte, and earlier today they said there was still around 30inches in some places.

No snow here...My house is just off the AT-1/4 mi. south of Rt. 522 Front Royal, VA. I can see some snow on the mountains just west of us though and have heard reports of some accumulation in the higher elevations of shenandoah nat'l park just south of me. Anyone needing a place to camp/warm up for a few or just a ride into town feel free to give me a call when you get to the Rt.522/AT intersection #703-357-0499. Hike safe & look out for damaged trees when setting up camp, Rich

I just got word that there is a rescue in progress between Pecks and Tricorner, rescuers have been hiking since last night and and still had four miles before they get to him but they said they are hiking through 4ft of snow in some places.

I hiked from Rt.501 to Port Clinton(Nov.1st./2nd.)and the trail was fine.A few blowdowns and soggy spots that are easily avoided.Sandy spared the rocks for your shoes enjoyment.

Images

HikerMomKD - thanks for the heads up! I'll be playing it by ear through Daleville so you just might hear from me...

No prob. VTATHiker ...Just let me know when you are getting close... Carry-on and Eagle Eye are heading this way as well.

HikerMom and Supersapper:

Thanks for the information and numbers! I am in Harpers Ferry now with a few others, and will be heading south whenever we can escape town. Will keep your numbers handy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++