WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Trail conditions between Newfound Gap & Charlies Bunion

I'm hoping to be over that way this weekend and would like to know if there's snow on the trail here. If so, how deep ?
    Thanks...AL
    He leads me beside still waters !!
    Happy Trails..... BrotherAL

Our local radio station this morning reported 3 feet of snow at Newfound Gap.

Check out this thread:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ort-from-GSMNP
    441 over the mountain was closed. Check with the Park Service for when it might reopen.

If you head ou, be careful!

I've been on that section after a recent snowstorm and the trail gets treacherous. Anywhere you have melting snow in the day and then refreeze at night is slow-going. Some parts up near Ice Water springs looked like a bobsled run down the trail. DEFINATELY take some sort of crampon, or at the very least, Yaktrax. Have fun, its a slow go but oh so beautiful and quiet. Take a camera !!

weather service reported 22" snow in Gatlinburg. If they got that much, Newfound Gap has at least 3' snow, and more along the ridgeline.

GSMNP reported this AM that 441 from Gatlinburg TN to Cherokee NC is now open. They are working on the Clingmans Dome Rd now. I had some friends that were in Gatlinburg city last night and there was no snow. Ober Gatlinburg - ski resort - did have some, not sure how much. Probably not 22' as reported by the Weather Service. Im pretty sure Newfound Gap has at least 2 ft. I am heading up tomorrow morning with my son to hit up some of the sledding spots! Wonder if the school will take a note for "snowitis"?

Since it's not suppost to warm up much down there in the near future, I suspect the snow will linger for a while...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Weather forcast for Gatlingburg this weekend- Saturday 69 high/ 45 low Sunday 61 high, 40 low. It will be cooler up at Newfound Gap but there should be some melting over the next few das.

++ New Posts ++