WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hot Springs Wins Best Small Mountain Town Contest

http://www.blueridgeoutdoors.com/out...ountain-towns/

Damascus was well down on the close contender list (about 5th).

Kludos to Hot Springs!

What say you?

Hot Springs deserved it GREAT JOB.

Congrats to all Hot Springians.

...Hot Spingites!

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    http://www.blueridgeoutdoors.com/out...ountain-towns/

Damascus was well down on the close contender list (about 5th).

Kludos to Hot Springs!

What say you?
    We sez, "BIG THANKS to alllll those who voted! And, come visit SOON!"

Just today, there were several SBers who'd hunkered down waiting for Sandy to pass and said they had been drawn into the vortex and were having a difficult time leaving our little mountain town. They vowed to return, as many often do.
    Sunny aka Sunrise ga-me 02 aka Cody Zamora
    Have a bright and
    Sunny Day!

Images

Wonderful town. I grew up in a little town about that size, except it wasn't in the mountains, nor on a Class III whitewater river, nor full of cool shops, hotels and restaurants. Hmm, come to think of it, it wasn't much like it at all, except for size. But well done, everyone!

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Cordial, respectful, welcoming. It's beautiful to see as one descends from the south and difficult to leave when the train blocks the street. The hot tubs and massages are exactly what revives tired bodies. The outfitter has what you need. I hope that, when I get there again, the laundromat has all new washers and driers just waiting for my quarters. It is a sweet place for hikers to take the break that they need.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    Cordial, respectful, welcoming. It's beautiful to see as one descends from the south and difficult to leave when the train blocks the street. The hot tubs and massages are exactly what revives tired bodies. The outfitter has what you need. I hope that, when I get there again, the laundromat has all new washers and driers just waiting for my quarters. It is a sweet place for hikers to take the break that they need.
    even better--new LAUNDROMAT!
    Sunny aka Sunrise ga-me 02 aka Cody Zamora
    Have a bright and
    Sunny Day!

Images

Congrats to all Hot Springles! Well deserved.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Images

I live 25 miles north of Hot Springs, it is my home away from home! I'm down there at least once a week, hiking, shopping at Bluff Mtn Outfitters, taking a hot tub, drinking a beer and listening to live music at the Spring Creek Tavern. I always feel safe parking my car at either end of town for a weekend hike. I love taking the slow ride back to Greeneville up River Road and along Paint Creek! Congrats to the super friendly people of Hot Springs!

Just did a section-hike starting there last month. I love the way the town embraces the A.T. Signs of the A.T. everywhere: in the sidewalks and on the business doors and windows, A.T.-related stuff in so many of the shops. And white blazes along the main street. Only 8 or 9 towns can claim that.

And such friendly, welcoming people. Glad to see how the Laughing Heart Hostel has restored the former Jesuit Hostel. I can't get over how beautiful the grounds are and how much nicer everything looks. Chuck Norris and Tigger still have that beaming glow that expresses "I can't believe I get to run this place" at the end of the thru-hiker season. I hope they can retain that! Of course one of the best outfitters on the planet is there too (aren't most of the best backpacking outfitters on the planet along the A.T.?) that seems to double as a general store for the community. So many neat elements.

Hot Springs is a great little town, can't wait to stop in again at the Mountain View restraunt and have another of those southwest omlettes...one of my more memorable meals this spring.

Beautiful little town when I hiked through it a couple years ago on a section hike. The folks in the gear shop were super friendly.

Stu
    www.stuthetraveler.com

Spent our honeymoon in HS. Best little trailtown

Stayed at Laughing Heart back in September. Very friendly, clean. Nice town.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Friendly barkeeps and waitstaff serving great beer and food at the Iron Horse Tavern.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Spent my birthday in Hot Springs. LOVED IT. Car broke down on the way, all rental car places closed for the weekend the tow truck driver let me borrow his 1982 Toyota truck to get the rest of the way there. (Trail Magic), lovely food, the springs sure were very nice after a nice long hike to max patch. Great music there at the Iron Horse. The outfitter is really alot of fun. The sections there on the trail are great.

Theres a little store (can't recall the name), on the other side of the tracks with the campground that had an AMAZING breakfast and a KILLER BLT I stuffed in my pack for the day.

++ New Posts ++