WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default If you were getting a new hammock today.......

I am considering getting a new hammock (or requesting one as a Christmas gift). What would folks suggest AND WHY.

Some information about me....
    For the past 6 years, I have used a Hennessy Hammock Ultralite Backpacker (classic version, bottom entrance). I use a sleeping pad instead of an under quilt because of where I hike. (I sometimes have to pitch the hammock like a bivy or stay in a shelter due to lack of proper trees). Thus, under quilts are not always practical--and a pad is needed for shelters or "ground sleeping".

I am not certain that I like the bottom entrance version of the Hennessy Hammock--especially with using a sleeping pad.

I eventually plan to thru hike.

I am 5'8" and weigh about 175 lbs.

So, please give me some advice. If you had to do it all over again (in December 2012)--what hammock would you get and why? (Please take into consideration some of the factors noted above about my hiking situation and my height/weight--but please don't feel bound by those considerations). THANKS!!!!!
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 single. Why? Because I have a 1.1 double and would like to cut down on a few ounces.

A lot of research led me to the BB, I erred on the side of caution when I bought the double layer vs the single layer as I wasn't sure if I would ever use a pad. So far I love my UQ and don't think I will ever use a pad.

I have tried a Hennessy, in fact my daughter has one and it's quite a bit smaller. The BB offers a shelf inside to keep some extra goodies (water, sweater, phone, glasses, book, I think I had more than that in there the last time). But seriously it's über comfy.

Just my 2c.

So just to clarify I'd recommend the 1.1 dbl for you to use a pad with.

My thru hike is currently in the dream phase but I'm planning on bringing the single when I go.

Images

I have and love the Blackbird double 1.1. For you, with the underpad, it is the way to go (if you go with the Blackbird). For a very long hike like a through hike, it helps to be able to stuff clothing between the layers if extra insulation is needed in places while on a cold ridge.

The shelf on the Blackbird is a fantastic feature.

Quote Originally Posted by l84toff View Post
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 single. Why? Because I have a 1.1 double and would like to cut down on a few ounces.

A lot of research led me to the BB, I erred on the side of caution when I bought the double layer vs the single layer as I wasn't sure if I would ever use a pad. So far I love my UQ and don't think I will ever use a pad.

I have tried a Hennessy, in fact my daughter has one and it's quite a bit smaller. The BB offers a shelf inside to keep some extra goodies (water, sweater, phone, glasses, book, I think I had more than that in there the last time). But seriously it's über comfy.

Just my 2c.
    This ^^^

I have a WB Blackbird double wall since I used a pad when I got it, but would get the single today to save a few grams, having invested in a UQ. I have been in the WB Blackbird for a few years and have not found or read about anything that I think I would like better. Would definitely buy it again.

It sounds like the Hennessy works well for you and you've developed a system that accommodates occasionally having to go to ground,. If the bottom entry is the only thing that bothers you, why not send it out to 2QZQ (http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com) for one of their zipper mods. Then you'll have the best of both worlds.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Images

WBBB 1.1 DBL. I have the 1.0 Dbl (no longer available) and love it. I have been using it backpacking for 3 yrs, and have never had any issues. I love the cinchbuckle suspension, which is heavier than whoopie slings, but much quicker/easier for me. I use Dutch clips on my straps, can completely pitch the hammock ready to sleep in about 40 seconds(not counting the tarp). I use a pad, but do not put it between layers, although I did have to put stuff between the layers twice( temps around 20 degrees). I have a 1.1 single on order because I want to lighten up, but I havent used it yet, so cant recommend. I am about your size...try a blackbird if you get a chance, the extra room and onboard storage really outclass the Hennessys.
    Last edited by chiefduffy; 11-02-2012 at 06:22.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I guess I'll jump on the WB bandwagon. I switched from my Hennessy to WBBB a few years ago. I'm getting a quilt, but for now I still use a pad and can easily go to ground. The BB is quicker & easier to set up, and roomier & more comfortable to sleep in, plus everything everyone else has said about their BB!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Professor View Post
    I have and love the Blackbird double 1.1. For you, with the underpad, it is the way to go (if you go with the Blackbird). For a very long hike like a through hike, it helps to be able to stuff clothing between the layers if extra insulation is needed in places while on a cold ridge.

The shelf on the Blackbird is a fantastic feature.
    +1 on the WBBB 1.1 dbl for all the above stated reasons. I have used mine backpacking for about 3 years now and love it. I do use an underquilt though instead of a pad.

Images

i have 8 hammocks. 3 HH, 2 have zipper mods (best investment). i bought 2 BB hammocks and got rid of them. the footbox and storage shelf to me were a waste. would never buy another, but they ARE very well made. on the trail in the summer i carry the HH Exp UL with zipper mod. in winter in 1.7 DIY 11'.
    don't waste your money on a new hammock. why not get a cuben tarp?

zipper mod
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I've got a HH zipper with ring suspension and a synthetic UQ. Works great for me. I'd do the same if I did it again, except maybe a 900fp UQ instead.

My daughter has a HH scout (velcro) - got for free from Hennessey when they were doing their xmas sale a couple years ago. She loves it, but she is only 4

On the other hand, one of these days, I'm going to build my wife a 1.1 WBBB double clone because she prefers a pad. Still with ring suspension.

Lots of good advice above, I'm a BB owner too. With your needs, I would be looking at the Dangerbird for the bivy aspect. Check the Hammockforums.net for gear reviews.

http://www.dream-hammock.com/shop.ht...=0&sort=normal

David

I'd like to recommend something a little different. It should be noted, my opinions run counter to just about everybody. While the WarBonnett is very comfortable, it has one slight fatal flaw, you can only get into it from one side. With a hammock that can be accessed from both sides, you have less problems when they stretch out over time. If one side stretches out, you use the other side to even things out. With a WarBonnett, once the entry side stretches, it's not as comfortable and becomes less comfortable the more you use it. I know this, because I used one for a couple years. Right now I like the Clark hammocks (get the larger ones, they are much more comfortable) but they are heavier than anything else. Treetotree Switchbacks are pretty good and weigh a lot less than the Clarks. I'd opt for a double bottom hammock, that way a sleeping pad will work pretty well by placing the pad between the layers.

I would probably get this hammock because it has a built in bug net and only weighs 12.85 ounces.

http://www.dream-hammock.com/shop.ht...90&id=16320652

I would then buy a travel sock from Warbonnet Hammocks and use it when it's cold. When it becomes warmer I would send the Sock home. You could also go with a net-less hammock but personally I like protection from the bugs. A sock or a hammock with a built in weathershield is huge when it's cold. It can make a 20 degree +- difference inside the hammock. I like the above st up because you can send the sock home when you don't need it.

There are other hammocks that offer more luxury but for long distance hiking this would be a great compromise between luxury and light weight. I used the Dream Hammocks Dangerbird during my AT hike because the Darien wasn't available then. I plan on buying a Darien myself.

Miguel

I am glad you are bringing this up because I too am exploring the possibility of thru hiking with a hammock versus my MSR Nook tent.

What I found I like about Warbonet BB 1.1 double is that it provides a slot for my pad. The HH doesn't have this built in, although they offer a winterized solution that attaches to the hammock.

I found out today that Warbonet offers a "mirror image version" modification of their footbox/shelf (instead of it being on the right side, it's on the left) for $15. Perhaps someone can explain the importance/advantage of the footbox since the HH doesn't have one.

HH does include a tarp with their price which Warbonet does not. I've read that the tarp that HH provides with their hammocks are too small. I'd like to have a tarp that I could enclose for bad weather, warm, and privacy (changing clothes, etc.), which Warbonet makes with doors or a cottage business can sew on. I plan on starting my thru hike in mid-April so perhaps that may make a difference in the type/size of a tarp for hanging. I'd like to hear what others have to say about tarp size and tarp shape for a hammock hanging.

Thanks.

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
    From where shall my help come?
    My help comes from the LORD,
    Who made heaven and earth."
    -Psalm 121:1-2

aka Kudzu
    Images

I'd get a Switchback or Light Hiker from Tree To Trail Gear. I tried the former and loved it so much I bought the latter. It's the same hammock only slightly shorter and no spreader bars for the netting so you lose some weight. Very nice DL hammock. It's especially nice if you have 2QZQ do the zipper mod on it so you can get the netting out of the way instead of just rolling it up to the ridgeline.

Like K_K I tried the BB and didn't care for it. Nice to know they offer the mirror because that was one of my gripes. I didn't spend a lot of time in it so I probably could've figured it out. I've been very happy with my Light Hiker, though. I use it while my Hennessy Explorer Ultralight sits as a spare. I also use it more than my bridge hammock. I recently purchased a Grand Trunk UL but it's too short. I'll be picking up a BIAS Weight Weenie Micro soon. I think the extra 2' will make a world of difference.

I highly recommend a larger tarp if you go the Hennessy route. Theirs keeps you dry. That's about it. Forget about sitting outside your hammock in a downpour to cook or just sit around. There's no room for that. I love my MacCat Deluxe but I'm also using a larger JRB 11x10 with the bridge and I have a new Toxaway hex tarp.
    Last edited by JaxHiker; 11-02-2012 at 14:20.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Quote Originally Posted by bear bag hanger View Post
    With a hammock that can be accessed from both sides, you have less problems when they stretch out over time. If one side stretches out, you use the other side to even things out. With a WarBonnett, once the entry side stretches, it's not as comfortable and becomes less comfortable the more you use it. I know this, because I used one for a couple years.
    That's quite interesting. I've not heard that before, seems I have some more reading at HammockForums to do. I wonder if you get the same amount of stretch with a double?

@Cozy - Footbox is supposed to make it more comfy, you don't get any pressure on your feet/legs from being pressed up against the side of the stiff fabric. To be honest I still get bothered a bit by this even in the BB, I will say that it makes the interior significantly roomier feeling. Often I can shove my TQ down into the footbox when I don't want it on me. I think I remember Shug on HF say that he sleeps in a BB the opposite way (feet on the left side) and uses the footbox as an additional shelf.

Images

Cozy,

The footbox is supposed to allow you to lie flatter in the blackbird. I like it for a couple of reasons:

1) I am comfortable lying diagonal with my feet in the box (the intended and flatest position) as well as lying straight in the hammock. This means I can shift between two positions that are comfortable for me. I like being able to shift.

2) I can kick off extra top quilt into it if I'm hot.

As for the tarp, you can use all sorts of tarps with the blackbird as the tarp is a completely separate item. At 10 oz, I've been happy with the edge tarp. I hang the tarp tight over the hammock in bad weather (actually, in bad weather the tarp goes up first and comes down last, I adjust as necessary while hanging the hammock). As long as I'm careful to make sure water can't run down the ridgeline, this has worked for me. As for privacy, I can change in the hammock but not outside of it when using the edge tarp.

I like hiking in the rain, and don't try to sit out downpours. If you're not like me and don't mind the extra weight, you may want a bigger tarp.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bear bag hanger View Post
    With a WarBonnett, once the entry side stretches, it's not as comfortable and becomes less comfortable the more you use it. I know this, because I used one for a couple years.
    I have never heard of this, have hundreds of nights in my WarbonnettBB. Bear bag hanger, were you close to the rated weight? I'm very interested.
    Last edited by chiefduffy; 11-03-2012 at 06:32.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Images

Warbonnet Blackbird. Why well 25 oz and I get a good nights sleep anywhere. With 20 deg underquilt & top quilt 4 season tarp and a sock I am still at 6 lbs so with + 3 lbs on my pack that will put my big 4 base weight at 9lbs for winter use. In the summer I can lightn the load and sleep well.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++