WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    mosquitos in late june
    specifically planning the hike the end of august to avoid bugs...well as much as we can ...

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by evyck da fleet View Post
    Rain. The ascents up the two mountain ranges are the descent down the first are difficult but nothing compared to having to deal with wet roots.

the wet roots seem to be a popular response...as long as they aren't slippery rooots ...

I hiked it NOBO in 7 days as part of a section hike that started in Gorham. So I was in pretty good shape when I started from Monson. Ironically, for me the shortest day in which I hiked the Barren-Chairback range was the most tiring because it was up-and-down all day, the footing was rough, and the weather was humid. That night, thunderstorms came through blowing away the humidity, resulting in perfect weather for the rest of the hike.

I agree that the 100 Mile Wilderness is the easiest part of Maine but it's not 100% flat. Yes, there are some flat stretches where you can stride very briskly (if you choose) but the first 15 miles is all little ups & downs, the Barren-Chairback range slowed me down, there's uphills to Whitecap, Little Boardman, Nesuntabunt. Nothing like Moody Mountain or Old Blue or the Bigalows but if you go in thinking "flat," you're in for a surprise.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I hiked it NOBO in 7 days as part of a section hike that started in Gorham. So I was in pretty good shape when I started from Monson. Ironically, for me the shortest day in which I hiked the Barren-Chairback range was the most tiring because it was up-and-down all day, the footing was rough, and the weather was humid. That night, thunderstorms came through blowing away the humidity, resulting in perfect weather for the rest of the hike.

I agree that the 100 Mile Wilderness is the easiest part of Maine but it's not 100% flat. Yes, there are some flat stretches where you can stride very briskly (if you choose) but the first 15 miles is all little ups & downs, the Barren-Chairback range slowed me down, there's uphills to Whitecap, Little Boardman, Nesuntabunt. Nothing like Moody Mountain or Old Blue or the Bigalows but if you go in thinking "flat," you're in for a surprise.
    awesome response...we are also hiking NOBO... and really have NO IDEA (other than a few pics here & there) what the terrain is like....and my mind can't wrap around those cartoon looking graphs that look like an EKG...so i enjoyed reading your post... i am anticipating a fun, challenging hike...with a LOT of beautiful scenery you did it in 7 days? did you also summit katahdin? we are aiming for 9 days to include the summit of katahdin....if we make it faster, that is fine....but we REALLY want to enjoy the hike and not push through it and wish we had taken more time and done it differently....this will probably be our ONLY chance to do this hike

Quote Originally Posted by gizzy bear View Post
    awesome response...we are also hiking NOBO... and really have NO IDEA (other than a few pics here & there) what the terrain is like....and my mind can't wrap around those cartoon looking graphs that look like an EKG...so i enjoyed reading your post... i am anticipating a fun, challenging hike...with a LOT of beautiful scenery you did it in 7 days? did you also summit katahdin? we are aiming for 9 days to include the summit of katahdin....if we make it faster, that is fine....but we REALLY want to enjoy the hike and not push through it and wish we had taken more time and done it differently....this will probably be our ONLY chance to do this hike
    The 7 days was Monson to Abol Bridge. The plan was Day 8 Abol Bridge to Katahdin Stream CG, Day 9 summit Katahdin. But because of the weather forecast, when my buddy met me at Abol Bridge on Day 7, we drove to Katahdin Stream t spend the night, I summited the Big K on Day 8 and hiked the short, easy stretch between Katahdin Stream & Abol on Day 9 - in a steady rain which vindicated our decision.

My post above has the link to my journal. It's on the second line, embedded in "the shortest day"

Journal Entries
    Images

The 7 days was Monson to Abol Bridge. The plan was Day 8 Abol Bridge to Katahdin Stream CG, Day 9 summit Katahdin. But because of the weather forecast, when my buddy met me at Abol Bridge on Day 7, we drove to Katahdin Stream t spend the night, I summited the Big K on Day 8 and hiked the short, easy stretch between Katahdin Stream & Abol on Day 9 - in a steady rain which vindicated our decision.

My post above has the link to my journal. It's on the second line, embedded in "the shortest day"
    i clicked on the link and read your journal..thanks for sharing ...that is very cool to read i am PRAYING that we don't have a monsoon when we are there...a little rain...im fine...but day after day after day....NOT thanks cookerhiker !!

I did it SOBO during a very wet summer so it was SLOWGO through the swampy low areas and very slippery on the rocks. Finished with only one Power Bar to eat on the last day.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stepinwolfe View Post
    I did it SOBO during a very wet summer so it was SLOWGO through the swampy low areas and very slippery on the rocks. Finished with only one Power Bar to eat on the last day.
    sooooo...are the swamp and bog one in the same? and what exactly IS bog??? the only bog i know is chicken bog...and it's YUMMY

Wet roots and slick slates after rains. In addition, one gotta be carefull with crossing the streams. Don't get yourself swept away by the currents and keep the gears dry. Other than these, just prepare to haul 5~6 day food supply till Abol Bridge.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Highway Man View Post
    Wet roots and slick slates after rains. In addition, one gotta be carefull with crossing the streams. Don't get yourself swept away by the currents and keep the gears dry. Other than these, just prepare to haul 5~6 day food supply till Abol Bridge.
    yeah i have some experience with slippery river/stream rocks....slippery is putting it mildly...those slippery rocks will put one on their azz like it's nobody's business....and keeping the gear dry is imperative!!! so i have to say fording creeks, especially if it has rained pretty hard.... def present a hazzard ....

Ahhh.... the end of August should be a good time to go to Maine. I'm so excited for you gizzy!! I can't wait to see the pics from the trip and hear all about it. Until then, we'll hang out with you here.

And the pickin' are mighty slim when you get to Abol bridge.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    Ahhh.... the end of August should be a good time to go to Maine. I'm so excited for you gizzy!! I can't wait to see the pics from the trip and hear all about it. Until then, we'll hang out with you here.
    thank you HM!! we are very excited about our hike... still planning and purchasing gear, so i LOVE reading WB...and learning and even laughing....and you by far are one of the sweetest around!!

Images

Rasty and i are going sobo from k on aug2.should hit monson around the 10th or 11th.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    Rasty and i are going sobo from k on aug2.should hit monson around the 10th or 11th.
    well our dates are not carved in stone... we have tried to plan a time that is best case scenario, ie the bugs & rain... and we came up with late august...and i am sure as time gets nearer we may have to tweek that....so who knows we may run into each other...that would be cool we are really looking forward to meeting people and talkling...since i have learned on WB that THAT is a huge part of the experience

Journal Entries

If you are really worried about food you can have food drops put out for you. It is neither 100 miles nor wilderness. Be sure to stay at cloud pond. It took me and a buddy 10 days from BSP and we both ate our last bits of food the last morning. South end is worse than the north and I think they take you up 4th mountain twice. Get ready to go straight up then straight down.

well our dates are not carved in stone... we have tried to plan a time that is best case scenario, ie the bugs & rain... and we came up with late august...and i am sure as time gets nearer we may have to tweek that....so who knows we may run into each other...that would be cool we are really looking forward to meeting people and talkling...since i have learned on WB that THAT is a huge part of the experience
    Well if my experience is any indicator, late August is a good time to avoid the bugs. I didn't have any when I hiked Maine in '05 and the Long Trail in VT in '07. Both hikes started in mid-August.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well if my experience is any indicator, late August is a good time to avoid the bugs. I didn't have any when I hiked Maine in '05 and the Long Trail in VT in '07. Both hikes started in mid-August.
    thanks for the confirmation CH...we have read up and enlisted thoughts and ideas here on WB and decided that august or early sept would be the best...(but we are alos up to tweeking the dates to get the best weather we can) we were also thinking about the temps(as well as the other factors mentioned)....i know the weather there can change quickly... but statistically speaking, the weather at that time seems to be ideal...was your weather good? how about rain? did you get alot of rain?

thanks for the confirmation CH...we have read up and enlisted thoughts and ideas here on WB and decided that august or early sept would be the best...(but we are alos up to tweeking the dates to get the best weather we can) we were also thinking about the temps(as well as the other factors mentioned)....i know the weather there can change quickly... but statistically speaking, the weather at that time seems to be ideal...was your weather good? how about rain? did you get alot of rain?
    My Maine hike (mid-August to mid-September) was fairly dry, as least as much that be reasonably expected for a month-long hike. My only rainy days were:

1. Half-day hikng up Mahoosuc Arm and Old Speck in afternoon. Morning through the Notch was overcast & damp but no rain.
    2. Rained during night I stayed in Bemis Lean-to - next day was sunny but rocks were still wet and slowed me down - fell a few times.
    3. 2-3 days preceeding Hurricane Katrina. Rain at night when I stayed at Sugarloaf ski hut, light drizzle 2 days later slackpacking the Crockers, poured hard the day of the Hurricane when I took a zero at Stratton Motel.
    4. Rained at night at Chairback Lean-to in 100 Mile Wilderness.
    5. Rained day after I summitted Katahdin when I walked between Katahdin Stream and Abol Bridge.

Look at it this way - I had beautiful dry sunny weather for the Gooses, Bald Pates, Moody Mountain, Old Blue and most of the Bemis range, Saddlebacks, Bigalows, Pleasant Pond Mountain, Moxie Bald, every day in the 100 Mile Wilderness. I was fortunate!

Journal Entries

Everyday in Maine is better than any other day anywhere else. It is true and a fact. No one can argue that. It is well known and documented. The trails in Maine are easy. The weather variations only compliments the trails of Maine even more. You will enjoy every minute of your hike. There will be nothing that discourages you on any trail in Maine, except maybe all the tourists that complain about how tough it is.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++