WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Marmot Essence Jacket and Pants

Hello!

For those experienced hikers, what do you think of the marmot essence jacket? I heard a lot of good things about the marmot mica. How does the essence compare to mica?

Regarding rain pants, what do you of the marmot essence pants?

Any other recommendations/tips on rain gear is also welcomed! Thanks!!

Links here:

http://marmot.com/products/essence_jacket
    http://marmot.com/products/mica_jacket
    http://marmot.com/products/essence_pant

Images

Essence is pretty much the same but the outside fabric is 15d I think, thus lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by bubonicplay View Post
    Essence is pretty much the same but the outside fabric is 15d I think, thus lighter.
    Thanks! Does the Essence jacket have pit vents? I read some reviews saying it doesn't, but it might be an older version of the jacket.

Images

I bought the Essence rain pants, light, was in rain for 6 days on and off in Vermont, good gear BUT..............delicate.

Am careful with my gear and do not recall ever getting snagged or getting into any stickers, there is now a 3 inch tear on the front, called them, need to send them back to see if they can repair or replace them.

To do it again I would have bought something else, sturdier.............I do not think that these (expensive) rain pants will hold up too well on the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q:1359359
    I bought the Essence rain pants, light, was in rain for 6 days on and off in Vermont, good gear BUT..............delicate.

Am careful with my gear and do not recall ever getting snagged or getting into any stickers, there is now a 3 inch tear on the front, called them, need to send them back to see if they can repair or replace them.

To do it again I would have bought something else, sturdier.............I do not think that these (expensive) rain pants will hold up too well on the AT.
    Thanks for the info! If that's the case, maybe I should go with cheaper rain pants... what about the marmot precip? It's heavier than the essence so I assume it's sturdier?

Images

It's way way heavier, not even a question. go with the lightest option.

Quote Originally Posted by bubonicplay View Post
    It's way way heavier, not even a question. go with the lightest option.
    What about the price to quality factor? If Essence is not durable at all, should I go for a light but cheaper product? (I think dri-duck is pretty light as well, but much cheaper?)

Images

Depends if your a gram counter

Images

I hope that they replace the pants for free or repair them .................. think that there are better, sturdier options that are still light weight.

I own the essence. I think it's great, and functions well for it's weight. It doesn't have true pit zips, just pit vents (which aren't that functional). Some people have reported wear and tear under the area where pack straps would rest.

Images

Driducks are lighter and about the same durability... just not as fashionable. Personally, I use either a packa or Marmot Precip jacket and Mt Hardwear pants on the AT because I need them to last

I just got a Marmot Super Mica jacket off of sierra trading post for 98 bucks, using a 30% off entire order coupon that i got for subscribing to their email. I love it so far!

I started with Driducks and switched to Essence. The Essence top held up very well. I was using Precip pants.

I use a Marmot Mica because I dont have pockets on my Montbell Ex Light so have had something I could shove my hands into if I wanted and live it. For my legs I use a Zpacks cuban rain kilt. By far one of my best investments ever. Its the only thing ive ever used that doesnt make my legs feel like a sweat box, that and I can get it off and on in less then a minute. Not to mention ive found several other uses on it.

I've got an essence. I like it so far but make no mistake the thin denier will not last as long as heavier denier nylons. It's a trade off in many ways.

++ New Posts ++