WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Although not really what the OP asked I carry a small 4 oz total WP journal and WP space pen with me when I thru-hike. As I learn knew sayings, philosophies, poems, writings, encouraging thoughts, bits of wise advice, new ways of thinking, etc that speak to me as I hike I copy them dowm in the journal and keep referring to them through my trek. This way, even after many years have passed since my hike, I can refer back to these journals to recall where I was and what I was thinking at the time and compare it to my present day beliefs. Like I was rightly taught several years ago thru-hiking doesn't just have to be about hiking! It's about the entire journey or life's experiences you have while hiking!

I spent some time reading about this book online after seeing your post. I just ordered it from Amazon, it looks very interesting and I'm looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the heads up.

I like horror books when hiking.

Rasty... I seriously doubt you read horror books when hiking... I bet you read cookbooks. Off topic but you have never told us what your trail name is while hiking... I think it should be poopsy!

I only read books for information so I read the shelter registers at all the shelters we pass by.... they can be very entertaining!!

The Hunters: Brotherband Chronicles, Book 3 was the book I was impressed mostly and I liked it because I was really in a place just like mentioned in the book.
    Direct flights to Male for a luxurious holiday.

I haven't yet done a long distance hike, but when we biked the Lewis and Clark trail west to east, I had their journals on my electronic organizer (Compaq something or other - can't even remember the name of it now). It was right around N. Dakota that my reading caught up to their journals. It was amazing to see where the Missouri and Yellowstone rivers converge and read about Lewis and Clark's journey about the same time. That river confluence, until 2003, looked just about the same as when Lewis and Clark saw it. They've since opened a visitor center there, but that's the only thing that mars the view. It was close to Williston, which is the town that's recently grown by leaps and bounds due to gas tracking, so I'm glad I saw it before the oil boom.

Plan to read Ken Follett's WWII books on the trail - on my iPod. Pretty sure I wouldn't want the weight of the physical books. I do plan to buy a small battery back up for my iPhone, which I will use to recharge the Ipod so I can read more on it.
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    Rasty... I seriously doubt you read horror books when hiking... I bet you read cookbooks. Off topic but you have never told us what your trail name is while hiking... I think it should be poopsy!

I only read books for information so I read the shelter registers at all the shelters we pass by.... they can be very entertaining!!
    Yes I read horror. I really enjoy stories about being killed in the wilderness. I don't know why. Rasty works as a trail name. Most hiking I do is solo so trail name is not real important. The squirrels don't care.

If you have time to read you have time to hike more

Quote Originally Posted by jakedatc View Post
    If you have time to read you have time to hike more
    My knees determine the hiking length each day! 16 to 18 miles is enough and leaves a hour to settle down after dinner with a book.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Yes I read horror. I really enjoy stories about being killed in the wilderness. I don't know why. Rasty works as a trail name. Most hiking I do is solo so trail name is not real important. The squirrels don't care.
    Aww... BUSTED!! I didn't know if you would see that comment or not. I LOVE picking on you. So yeah, interesting that you really enjoy stories like that while hiking in the wild. I would say- nerves of steel and no fear for the Rast.

Ok soo... if you ever decide to hike up around Daleville VA and I get to meet you... I'll call you Rasty then.

I hear ya and agree with the knees & the longer miles. It's the knees for me 2 but last time out, it was my feet.. *ouch* 33 miles in 2 days killed my feet but no blisters. jakedatc, hush .... don't say a word.. ok? I'm old- u must know this about me... LOL!

Images

Found two free classics on my phone - 3 Musketeers and Wuthering Heights. Started 3 Musketeers - really enjoyed it. Downloaded one by Bernard Cornwell from his Saxon Chronicles and enjoyed it during the evenings when I stopped a bit early and I didn't want to get to sleep right away.

I also picked up the Hobbit at a shelter and re-read it, dropping it off in Hot Springs. I also picked up a couple of Sci-Fiction paperbacks here and there and a Louis LaMour I hadn't read in decades. I'm omnivorous in my reading - pretty much anything.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

kerouac. a must.

Default What books have you read during your hike?

+1 Dharma Bums

one doesn't just read kerouac, if it aint spoken word you're doin it all wrong

I have a nice choice I'm now reading, it's small, compact and just a fun read.

How Bad Are Bananas?
    THE CARBON FOOTPRINT OF EVERYTHING

Mike Berners-Lee

It shows how people who are concerned about their carbon FP actually only focus on their carbon Toe Print, by only looking at their house and transportation expenditures.

So if you're like me and trying to do your part in warming up the world, you can use this book to exponentially increase your personal contribution. It's a feel-good book

The best books I read were ones I found either in a shelter or in town.. stephen king wendel berry crow etc...
    "LOVED OR HATED, BUT NEVER IGNORED"

A book that absolutely changed my life and started a new addicting hobby was Born To Run by Christopher Mcdougall. I read it while I was on the trail last year it was a quick read but it is perfect for the app trail.

I read only cook books during hiking, Hunger is one of my main concerns.
    Buy Asus laptop and fast Asus graphics card for a reasonable price.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++