WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Need solution: too clammy/cold when sleeping

I just finished 125 miles on the C&O Canal trail. I used a MSR Nook tent for myself, a new Women's Neo Air XLite sleeping pad with an R value of 3.9, and my Go Lite 20 degree down quilt. I opened the two vents at the top of the tent for venting and occasionally the front screen door. Weather at night was 38 degrees to low 40's.

I wore base 2.0 polyester Under Armor for my lower body bottom layer and a 100% polypropylene long sleeve shirt for my upper body layer (long john's).

I found myself extremely warm and clammy under the quilt, mostly from my waist down. This occurred both when I strapped the quilt under mattress and when I had it unstrapped using it as a blanket over me. Then cold drafts would then come in and then I'd get too cold only for me to get all warm & clammy again. This cycle drove me nuts and prevented me from getting a good night's sleep. BTW, no condensation on the inside of the tent walls.

What is going on?

Could it be the reflective properties of the Neo XLite 3.9 R value mattress making me too warm? If so, I can turn the mattress around and sleep on the opposite side to alleviate this?

Was I using too warm of a bag- the 20 degree quilt in 38-40 degree weather, making me too hot?

Was it the clothing? Should i just have used a silk top and bottom? Or a silk sleeping bag liner?

Was it a combination of factors?

Additional information: When I did a section hike in Virginia on the AT in April, I had the Neo Air Trekker, a 40 degree synthetic sleeping bag, same tent, and wore 100% polypropylene long sleep top and bottoms. I had the same problem with my legs getting too warm (40 degrees at night) but not to the extreme as I just experienced on the C&O trail.

Thanks for your help.

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
    From where shall my help come?
    My help comes from the LORD,
    Who made heaven and earth."
    -Psalm 121:1-2

My guess is that the clothing might be part of the problem. I have experienced similar problems while wearing synthetic clothing for sleeping. Now I only use either wool or silk (never cotton) year round and I am much more comfortable.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Georgetown, South Carolina, United States
    Images

Sponge bath before getting ready to sleep. The days perspiration seems to make me alternately chilled and overheated during the night unless I clean up, at least my torso.
    Everyone's first question:
    "Wow - How tall are you?"
    Answer: "I'm 6'6""
    Ergo, my trail name: 'Six-Six'

Quote Originally Posted by Six-Six View Post
    Sponge bath before getting ready to sleep. The days perspiration seems to make me alternately chilled and overheated during the night unless I clean up, at least my torso.
    Yes, I did that every night but still encountered the same situation.

Journal Entries

sleep nude. thats what i do. i dont get clammy and if i get a chill i put a layer of clothes on. if you dont like the idea of sleeping nude, then put a pair of socks on. then you are not nekked. if you find that it is the clothing i would suggest changing fabric. if it is not the fabric, then change the sleep system to a quilt or similar. if that does not work, either stay home or accept that you are clammy and hike on.

I would suggest using a silk sleeping bag liner. It will wick away and absorb some of the moisture. It's worked very well for me in the past. One thing though, take it out to dry during your lunch break, if possible. It won't be soaking wet, not even close to it, but air drying it will help you stay even more comfortable.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Images

Sounds like menopause!

I'm assuming that's not the issue. In which case, "clammy" sounds to me like a breathability issue. The quilt shell isn't very breathable. You're getting condensation under your quilt or in your bag, but not inside the tent. You're getting condensation under the quilt because you're sweating. And you're sweating because your clothes are too hot or also not breathable. I'd try going commando or using natural-fiber clothing to sleep in, as others have suggested.

Using the 20-degree quilt when it's 40 degrees probably contributes. I run into something similar when I use my 25* WM bag when it's 50 degrees out -- too hot under it, too cold without. Then I need to layer to get around it. Or just wear socks and stick my feet out, that sort of thing.

Images

Definitely wear icebreaker 150g base layers.

Since there was no condensation, the temp was just above the dew point. That is always hard to deal with because the air is holding so much moisture already that moisture on your skin can not evaporate until you are really too hot to be comfortable. Then you throw off the covers and freeze That's bad enough when it is warm out but when it is cool you constantly have to change being covered for uncovered. Best you can do is wear long uderwear--I like Power Dry type fabrics. You can also cover your pad so that dampness will be absorbed rather than just puddleing under you. A light poly fabric works well above feezing and light wool when it is colder. 33 degrees to fortyish is the most difficult to be comfortable for me day or night.

I think the neo air/quilt combination is your problem. By only having a thin synthetic layer between you and and the mattress pad, there is nowhere for moisture from your body to go. Normally, a sleeping bag would be this layer. Maybe wear a puffy layer or fleece to bed? or a silk liner as others mentioned.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Sounds like a lot of clothing and too low temp bag for conditions. Your skin needs to breathe as there is normal perspiration from your skin.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I wear a silk nightgown on the trail, the same as at home. I don't sleep well with longjohns on unless it is real cold. After hiking all day my legs seem to put out more heat than usual, so I don't cover them.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Less clothes.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

I was taught to lay on top of your bag (before the days of quilts) and lie still until you are starting to get chilly and then cover up. When you go to bed your metabolism is still ramped up from the day. This is why you can hike in a t-shirt, even on cold days. Climbing right into the sack is tempting on a cold night, but the extra metabolism "fogs up" the bag with too much moisture and once you get damp, your toast (sorry, I am really mixing my metaphors). Anyway I am sometimes amazed at how long I can stay comfortable outside my bag on a cold night from the latent heat and metabolism from the day's activities. That quiet time of unwinding on top of my bag is actually one of my favorite times of the day when camping. Sometimes, I even go to sleep on top of my bag. Eventually, you wake up cold, you get in your bag, and you are nice and toasty (oohh, same metaphor, opposite meaning!). I don't know if this method is common, but it works for me. YMMV.

Images

X2 don't get in your bag until your are cold and dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Leanthree View Post
    I think the neo air/quilt combination is your problem. By only having a thin synthetic layer between you and and the mattress pad, there is nowhere for moisture from your body to go. Normally, a sleeping bag would be this layer. Maybe wear a puffy layer or fleece to bed? or a silk liner as others mentioned.
    I used the sheet set with the Thermarest Neo xlite so it was inbetween me and the pad. It's me, clothing, and the quilt that is having the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I was taught to lay on top of your bag (before the days of quilts) and lie still until you are starting to get chilly and then cover up. When you go to bed your metabolism is still ramped up from the day. This is why you can hike in a t-shirt, even on cold days. Climbing right into the sack is tempting on a cold night, but the extra metabolism "fogs up" the bag with too much moisture and once you get damp, your toast (sorry, I am really mixing my metaphors). Anyway I am sometimes amazed at how long I can stay comfortable outside my bag on a cold night from the latent heat and metabolism from the day's activities. That quiet time of unwinding on top of my bag is actually one of my favorite times of the day when camping. Sometimes, I even go to sleep on top of my bag. Eventually, you wake up cold, you get in your bag, and you are nice and toasty (oohh, same metaphor, opposite meaning!). I don't know if this method is common, but it works for me. YMMV.
    One night I did not use the bag as you suggested until I got cold. After covered up, I awoke to the same issue. Very frustrating trying to figure this out but I need to get it right before my thru hike.

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    Less clothes.
    Fewer, too.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Karma13 View Post
    Sounds like menopause!

I'm assuming that's not the issue. In which case, "clammy" sounds to me like a breathability issue. The quilt shell isn't very breathable. You're getting condensation under your quilt or in your bag, but not inside the tent. You're getting condensation under the quilt because you're sweating. And you're sweating because your clothes are too hot or also not breathable. I'd try going commando or using natural-fiber clothing to sleep in, as others have suggested.

Using the 20-degree quilt when it's 40 degrees probably contributes. I run into something similar when I use my 25* WM bag when it's 50 degrees out -- too hot under it, too cold without. Then I need to layer to get around it. Or just wear socks and stick my feet out, that sort of thing.
    No, it's not menopause.

What you are describing though is exactly what is happening. Good suggestions!

I wonder if this would happen if I hung in a hammock? Can anyone advise?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++