WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Appalachians VS Rockies please vote

I'm relocating for the final time in my life. Instead of moving to another home in Oklahoma, I figured since I will have everything in boxes, why don't I drive a little farther, and live in a place that I will enjoy, and cross a few things off my bucket list. I am torn between New Mexico and Colorado vs anywhere on the AT south of Damascus. I've never set foot on the AT, but have been to the Smokies, also vacationed in Co/NM.
    I need an affordable, over 55 friendly town, and I will be renting. It would be great to be within a few minutes of trails. So, kind folks, help me decide, as I am losing sleep over this. Thanks, Anna

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

ARe you looking for a job or fortunate enough to be retired and not needing a job? Prefer snow or a more moderate climate? Small town or large? Want the culture of a university town? Like to be near medical facilities?

I know..I know..lots of questions.

But lots of different areas.
    Last edited by Mags; 11-08-2012 at 14:34.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Journal Entries

Golly gosh, that has to be one of the most difficult questions asked. Its like asking if i want chocolate syrup on my chocolate chip ice cream. that is a tough one. I wish you the best in your decision. both are great areas. I think you should start by stating more specifically what you want or desire.

The Appalachians and the Rockies are two totally different regions i live in the Appalachians know ( W.N.C ) but if i had my choice i would live in the Rockies i prefer a town known as Grand Junction Colorado.

Excepting massive wildfires, the Rockies offer few options for natural disasters.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Born and raised on the east coast in New Jersey and Florida. Noe live in Hawaii for six - seven months of the yr. Great opps for outdoor experiences south of Damascus in the Appalacians never mind VT, NH, and ME BUT in all seriousness The Rockies in Colorado would be where I would head in a heartbeat! So close to so much more too!

Re affordability, in general I think the Southern Appalachians may be better, at least that's my sense after hiking the Colorado Trail in 2011. If I had to choose somewhere from Damascus south, I'd consider Asheville, NC first and Damascus second. I'd avoid Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/Sevierville because of the congestion. How large a community do you wish - small town, small city? Johnson City, TN is a college town and further from the Smokies' congestion.

The other tremendous difference between the Rockies and Southern Apps is climate, particular humidity. I'd much rather spend summers and winters in the Rockies but fall is awfully nice in the Southern mountains.

Hey, golden Aspens with their white bark aren't so bad for fall color either!

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Re affordability, in general I think the Southern Appalachians may be better, at least that's my sense after hiking the Colorado Trail in 2011. If I had to choose somewhere from Damascus south, I'd consider Asheville, NC first and Damascus second. I'd avoid Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/Sevierville because of the congestion. How large a community do you wish - small town, small city? Johnson City, TN is a college town and further from the Smokies' congestion.

The other tremendous difference between the Rockies and Southern Apps is climate, particular humidity. I'd much rather spend summers and winters in the Rockies but fall is awfully nice in the Southern mountains.
    This post addresses my concerns, and why I'm torn. I need affordability, and realize that that housing will be cheaper in Appalachia. When I decide what area, then I have faith in finding a town that's a nice fit. I asked WB members because a lot of you have lived in and hiked both areas. I intend to be an active part of the trail wherever I relocate.

I'm sure you have reasons for limiting your area of consideration in the East to Damascus-south but at least look into Roanoke, VA - less than 150 miles north of Damascus up I-81, lots of amenities, near both the AT and other trails. A number of friendly WBers live in the area and you can get involved with the Roanoke AT hiking club.

Try Erwin Tennesse it's an AWESOME town.

I like the climate of the west. More nice days to spend outside than on the east. There are certainly affordable place to live in CO and NM, but you will be compromising on best location. NM can be very inexpensive, but you aren't near anything. I'd look toward Durango...

One thing I've heard is that, though things are smaller out here on the East coast, you don't have to drive as far to get to the good stuff.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gravityman View Post
    I like the climate of the west. More nice days to spend outside than on the east. There are certainly affordable place to live in CO and NM, but you will be compromising on best location. NM can be very inexpensive, but you aren't near anything. I'd look toward Durango...
    Northern New Mexico is awesome. The Pecos Wilderness, Wheeler Peak area and so on. Taos is actually one place where I was looking at (think Bozeman is where we will end up though)
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I'm still trying to decide if I want chocolate syrup on my chocolate chip ice cream...
    Anyway, if you love the outdoors, the CO Mountain towns have it all over the East. Better weather, more open space, a generally healthier lifestyle and populace. However, at OUR age, you need to consider proximity to health care services, price of getting around (stuff can be much further spread out), and as you seem to now, the cost of living tends to be higher. I have lived in both and chose to retire in the East in Northern NH because of its blend of recreation access, low cost of living, proximity to big cities the few times I want that, and I like winter too. Not for everybody though (thank God)!

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I'm sure you have reasons for limiting your area of consideration in the East to Damascus-south but at least look into Roanoke, VA - less than 150 miles north of Damascus up I-81, lots of amenities, near both the AT and other trails. A number of friendly WBers live in the area and you can get involved with the Roanoke AT hiking club.
    I vote for Roanoke VA. .... I love living here. You could be my partner in crime with all the hikers rolling through Daleville VA. It's a very beautiful valley. We have the most photographed place on the AT... McAfee Knob. I can't begin to tell you how much I love this place...

+1 to Cookerhiker for suggesting Roanoke VA.

Boone, NC. Hands down.

p.s. wish I had your dilemna
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Another vote for Asheville, NC or suburbs of Asheville. Really nice small mountain city with just about everything you need close by.

Anywhere in east TN

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    I vote for Roanoke VA. .... I love living here. You could be my partner in crime with all the hikers rolling through Daleville VA. It's a very beautiful valley. We have the most photographed place on the AT... McAfee Knob. I can't begin to tell you how much I love this place...

+1 to Cookerhiker for suggesting Roanoke VA.
    I knew when I suggested it that you'd weigh in!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++