WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

If you want to go the 3rd week of July I'd go with you for a week. I've done a couple of hikes in the smokies but never all the way thru it.

Journal Entries

I just completed the GSMNP from Oct 12 -18 2012 and absolutely loved it. Views and fall colors were terrific. Weather was perfect. This was in a 6 day 5 night scenario and time frame. I suggest this time frame for hiking the trail. Met some south bounders and the shelters were empty - even though reservations were full - Rangers said... Water was low in between shelters but I never ran out. Now the terrain was tough to me in areas but I was NOT in a race, I was picture taking and enjoying the scenery. There are hard sections...climb out of Fontana is almost up up up all the way to Rocky Top. Then it levels then up up up to Clingman. Clingman to Newfound is a breeze. Newfound up to Icewater is 2 hrs of up , and then it is some fairly and tough up and downs to Low Gap but beautiful scenery...then Up to Mt Cammerrer was tough and the 8.3 miles down to Davenport and or I-40 was tough on the knees and feet....so there ya have it from a guy that just did it Permits are at Ranger station and easy to write up. Hope this helps ya.

Default Just the Smoky Mnt Park

GSNP is a great hike if the shelters are not packed out. I hiked it as a section hike in June and the trail was pretty crowded and the shelters were filled. Still I enjoyed it and really thought it was a pretty section of trail. As far as a shake down though, it is really no different than any other portion IMHO. You might want to schedule a little later to avoid the bubble, or plan to hike further north ( unless you are married to the idea of hiking the park). Regardless, if you are in decent shape and can cover a couple of miles on terrain with your pack before having to take a break, you should be OK.

Planning on doing this 6 day 5 night hike in the Smokies in May 12-18

http://www.backpacker.com/2012-novem...inations/17117

It will be a good combination of off the AT and on the loop. 2 days on AT trail and 2 AT shelter. 4 days of loops trails and 3 night of loop shelters.

I have not been on this loop before. This will be my first week long hike.

agree with other comments here, another great option is hike Dicks Creek Gap to Fontana Dam. That section offers some great scenery and tough climbs, and you can stop at NOC for a nice break, there's a hostel there and outfitter and hiker friendly restaurant on the Nantahala River.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++