WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Depressed while hiking?

Does anyone ever get depressed while out on the trail for long periods of time?

I am generally a very content and happy no matter what and am used to hiking for miles and hours without seeing another hiker. Well, a couple of weeks ago on nice sunny day I did a 14 mile hike and after about 2-3 hours of not seeing another hiker on a couple of occasions on the trail and being on some denser darker parts of the trail I began to get this awful all alone in the wilderness feeling and could'nt wait to see another hiker, I was even kinda paranoid of my suroundings! Like I said I'm used to hiking without seeing anyone for awhile and I'm used to the long day hike, but i've never felt like this. I also want to mention that i've also seen some videos of people in the middle of a thru-hike who seemed pretty depressed themselves! Is it normal to get this feeling from time to time while doing long day hikes or thru hikes?

Sure, it's normal. From time to time, even those of us accustomed to hiking solo start to feel lonely, sad that no one is there to share the experience, help us feel comfortable and secure, talk about what we see, or joke around. That's not depression. That's life.
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

It sounds like you lonely or feeling spooked, not depressed. I think most thru hikers have many of the symptoms of depression except for the sadness. Stuff like:
    Change in weight or overeating (usually a loss for hikers despite overeating)
    sleeping more than usual (what else do you do when it's dark out and there's no electricity)
    loss of interest in things you used to care about (hobbies, reading the newspaper, hot showers)
    feeling tired; decreased energy (common after climbing a few mountains)
    difficulty making decisions (what should I eat for dinner)
    persistent aches and pains that won't go away (feet hurt anyone?)

But despite having many of the clinical symptoms, most hikers I've met are not anywhere near depressed. The ones that are homesick tend to leave and head home. There may be times when the physical strain of a hike gets to people, but I suspect that the exercise really does keep down the depression. One study showed exercise to be as effective as anti-depressives for folks with mild depression. Loneliness is another factor entirely; if it bothers you don't hike out of season and it shouldn't be an issue. It is strange for me when I go more than 24 hours without seeing another person (and cars count if the driver honks or waves when you cross a road), but most of those days have been on trails other than the AT. On the AT, the longest I've gone was a couple of days without seeing other hikers, but I wasn't hiking alone. People can go "stir crazy" if they stay at a shelter too long- I recall meeting someone who was waiting for the snow to melt and hadn't seen anyone in a couple of days. I think his reaction was more to the unexpected situation than to just being alone for so long. But "stir crazy" was far from "depressed".

Images

I definitely prefer coming across other hikers occasionally even though I prefer to hike alone.

Thanks, after reading your posts I think I was just a bit lonely.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    I definitely prefer coming across other hikers occasionally even though I prefer to hike alone.
    That's how I am, I guess that day I was a bit more needy lol

Images

I don't get depressed but there are times that I feel guilty leaving my wife and son at home. Son (18) is recovering from Cancer, continued issues, have had to race home from several sections hike to get home or to the hospital.

Tough balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Peakhunter View Post

I am generally a very content and happy no matter what and am used to hiking for miles and hours without seeing another hiker. Well, a couple of weeks ago on nice sunny day I did a 14 mile hike and after about 2-3 hours of not seeing another hiker on a couple of occasions on the trail and being on some denser darker parts of the trail I began to get this awful all alone in the wilderness feeling and could'nt wait to see another hiker, I was even kinda paranoid of my suroundings! Like I said I'm used to hiking without seeing anyone for awhile and I'm used to the long day hike, but i've never felt like this. I also want to mention that i've also seen some videos of people in the middle of a thru-hike who seemed pretty depressed themselves! Is it normal to get this feeling from time to time while doing long day hikes or thru hikes?
    All the feelings you described- I have felt when I was hiking alone for more than a few minutes. Seriously, you described the exact feelings I've had only after a few minutes of not seeing my daughter hiking in front of me. It's a lonely issue, I believe. I can't handle being totally alone in the woods.
    I believe some people do get lonely on their thru hikes. I've heard many of them express that fact.

For me, exercise heals my depression, and I am usually happiest when hiking. However, it is different for me when I am totally alone. On the AT it is rare to be alone for more than a couple of hours. I did feel a bit lonely when I got caught in a gap between groups of thruhikers for a couple of days. I met dayhikers and weekenders, but nobody who was out for the long haul. When I ran into thruhikers again I was thrilled. But I wasn't depressed.

However, when I hiked the JMT, I only camped with other hikers a handful of times. Most nights I camped alone. I always hiked alone. Since I was doing a leisurely hike (18 days) I had a lot of solo time around camp. I did get a bit depressed then. It showed me that I wasn't ready for a solo PCT hike at that time, so my next LD hike was a return to the more social AT.

Journal Entries

I tend to get some great miles in early in the morning and late at night while there are no hikers on the trail. I find great comfort in the quiet and calming hikes when there are few if any other hikers for hours. Same for off season hikes when the conditions are sloppy or the snow is fresh, or its colder than 40* most people I have found have been fair weather hikers. It is nice when I can get out there and feel the calm serene tranquility and not here the pollution of others trampling on my moment. I can forget all the world and live in the moment.

yeah, but it happens at home too
    sometimes going for a hike or a paddle helps
    sometimes bailing on a hike or a paddle helps
    sometimes more time with family
    sometimes it requires better living through chemistry

Not on a thru hike and certainty not on a day hike.

Is it normal to get this feeling from time to time while doing long day hikes or thru hikes?
    No it is not normal.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

I disagree, Wingedmonkey! I may never be considered "normal", but I have sure had those feelings. In 2010 when I thrued, I had them a lot. It was the first time that I ever ended up alone for such long periods of time, even at shelters that would normally have been full. I don't know that I ever had them on day hikes, but if a person was feeling alone and went for a hike, and didn't see anyone, I can see how that might happen.

Images

maybe you need a hiking partner, maybe its not depression, maybe your just not comfortable being alone. we are social animals, but my best day hikes are when i see no one at all. on section hikes, i do enjoy meeting people, and ive never gone more than a full day without running into somebody. ive never thrued so i cant say how it would affect me, but i cant remember a single day on the at itself that i didnt meet people.
    when you're alone and feeling depressed, just stop and "smell the roses",notice the miracles occurring all around you and think to yourself"its all good"

OK... first thing... there's no such thing as "normal". "Normal" is only a setting on a dryer. I know what you mean by "normal" Peakhunter. LOL!! I like the word "average", better.

Originally Posted by Peakhunter

That depends on if a person is struggling with depression before they start hiking. Exercise is really good for depression & can go a long way to lifting depression. Having said that tho, I think that loneliness can bring on/feed depression.

Originally Posted by Peakhunter
    Is it normal to get this feeling from time to time while doing long day hikes or thru hikes?

Feelings are feelings... they come and they go. They are neither right or wrong... they are just feelings. Having said that tho, feelings can present themselves b/c of our own personal issues. I feel like I have an issue with being alone. I feel like I'm not "average" when it comes to being able to spend time alone (by myself) I would like to be "average" but don't we all wish for that. I'm working on it. So depending on who you are and what your issues are -you will feel different things out on the trail. If you are an extrovert you need to recharge by being around ppl. Introverts recharge by being alone. Nothing wrong with either one.

Journal Entries
    Images

I get these feeling from time to time as well. At home I'm very active with my family, I work at home, we home school & are very involved with each others lives. When out on hikes which I do 99% of the time solo and I don't have any other interaction with people for 2+ days, I feel lonely & then sometimes question why am I out here when I can be back home with my family. 90 % of the time I push through it in attempt to grow & strengthen me as a person, but there have been times in my early days of hiking when I have cut trips short. On the AT, I can normally bail into a city after a few days of not seeing anyone & grab a hot meal & resupply & interect with a few individuals during those activities & that will suffice, then back to the woods.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

I always get into a funk for a couple of days at about the 2 week mark. I just do short 10-12 mile days and chill. Probably something with my body realizing this is for real and it is time to start doing things differently.

Never been depressed on the trail really. The only time i do get depressed is when my wife tells me there are other trails to hike other than the AT. I dont beleive her.

The trail helps to significantly reduce my depression, there's no TV to watch news on.

im the flip side of your coin ,im usually weird feeling around people,but content is wild places.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++