WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Cool Morton's Neuroma....again...and Hot Feet

I have read every post about foot pain and Morton's Neuroma. I noticed people mention the problem of hot feet after 7-8 miles, and then the pain begins, and that's what happens to me also.

This spring and summer I've been able to avoid pain by wearing the Merrill barefoot minimalist for day hiking and UL backpacking, but on sharp rocks it was difficult. Recently bought a larger size Brooks Cadence trail runner which is working, but want to do the Alps where snow and ice will be present...not to mention the AT in winter..

im quite despite for ideas and wonder if other people experience the hot foot syndrome? I'm ditching the wool socks and trying thin thorlos, trying to wear my Lowa leather lined (avoiding hot GorTex). They are also larger than my normal size..

Someone told me to try a circular moleskin pad under the big toe.....she said people who have a longer second toe next to the big toe are prone to Morton's neuroma. Trying this too....has anyone found this to ease the pain?

Hiking addicts need to know

I had all the classic signs of Morton's Neuroma, but we did an MRI before surgery to make sure what we were dealing with, and the MRI showed NO neuroma, but a good case of arthritis. The surgery I was counting on to fix my foot went right out the window. Make sure of a diagnosis before you do anything drastic. Bottom line--getting old just stinks.

Images

The thing that works best for me is hiking in Chacos. I never have the MN pain when I wear Chacos. With all other running shoes and hiking boots, it crops up...unless the weather is freezing or below. When it's cold enough, I can get away with wearing very wide boots.

Btw, I had the surgery and it did not solve the problem.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I have had Morton's in both feet for the past two years. It had been diagnosed by a podiatrist who recommended a felt pad just past the arch and before the ball of the foot (there are videos on youtube that show the placement). I worked with the felt pads for a very long time and I eventually got rid of the one on the right foot but the one on the left, though improved, never disappeared. About two months ago I went back to the doctor and got custom made orthotics (you have to have them for both feet). The left foot has improved tremendously though still not completely gone. Will keep trying with the orthotic. I did note one extra from having the custom orthotics, my feet were not as tired after long mileage hikes (10 miles or more). Good luck.
    Last edited by moof53; 11-13-2012 at 11:41.

Oh, and by the way, I use Lowa Tibet Pro boots. Previous posts about proper boot fit is very important. Some boots/shoes have more narrow toe boxes, such as Lowa, than others so get them properly fitted. I didn't have to go to a wider boot but I did go to a longer boot. It solved the smaller toe box area which is probably why after 50 years I got the Mortons and, it gave me a little more room for the end of the toes. Went to the high sierra for a 10 day backpack with a heavy pack and didn't get one end of toe blister or any other. Just watch out they aren't to long because where the toes break when you step has to be close to the toe break area on the boot or shoe. Never giving up my Lowa boots! Again, good luck!
    Last edited by moof53; 11-13-2012 at 11:44.

Default Morton's Neuroma

Try a few measures:

• A soft orthotic that ends just behind the ball of the foot. Adding a metatarsal pad to the orthotic will take pressure off the neuroma.
    • use 2 Spenco Comfort Insoles, above and below the orthotics, so that your forefoot has plenty of cushioning. The neuroma is also on the underneath side of the foot, and every bit of cushioning helps.
    • Equally important is getting the widest possible shoes in the forefoot. The pain in a neuroma is caused by the toe bones (phalanges) pressing down on the neuroma during gait. A wide shoe allows the toes to spread a bit and lessen the pressure on the neuroma.

I've used these measures to keep my neuroma a symptomatic for about 20 years, other than the occasional mistake of picking a shoe that isn't wide enough or doesn't allow room for the insoles & orthotics.

I have Plantar Fasciitis and Morton Neroma and what Moof53 & Doheir said above is sound advice. Take another look at your footwear, you made need to go wide width, or at least stick with stuff that isn't so narrow. If you can't wiggle all your toes, the shoes are too tight. I usually keep the bottom laces a little loose, and only keep them tight towards the top. Talk to your podiatris about insole and Orthotics. Right now I use Redi-thodics which is like superfeet but with more cushion. Ibuprofen and soaking your foot in cold water also helps.

With the hot foot syndrome, you can try cool max liners instead of wool socks.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Whack-a-mole, it's true about the age creeping up on us. All those years of too-tight shoes take their toll, as well as all the hiking miles. Interesting comment about your real diagnosis.
    Marta, sorry about the surgery not providing the relief you were anticipating. Your friends around here wondered how you are doing post-op.
    All good advice about wider shoes, the felt pad, and cool-max in lieu of wool.
    The Brooks Cadence trail runners provide great cushion and they are big enough to allow the toes to spread out, so I can hike the AT this spring no problem.
    But hiking the Alps is another story.
    Bottom line for the 2 week hike from Mont Blanc to the Matterhorn..the first item on the supply list is "waterproof hiking boots". To go or not to go, neither decision seems right.

++ New Posts ++