WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default keeping dog warm

hi folks
    i am planning a 2013 thru hike with my ridgeback, 'salsa'. i am typically a hammock camper and salsa sleeps under the tarp, but i am concerned about her staying warm on the early and late sections of the hike
    [i plan to start at the end of march]. i do have a hubba hubba , but hate the idea of having to go back to a tent, even if only for a month or two.
    any advise?

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

I use an insulated childs vest on my dog on cold nights. Just put her legs through the arm holes and zip it closed down her back. She then sleeps on my backpack frame pad.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Images

my 80lb lab sleeps in my hammock in the winter or whenever she feels like it. DIY hammock with coated 1.9 nylon.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Journal Entries

Dogs like humans need to be acclimated to the conditions they will be hiking in. Between now and the beginning of your hike be sure to get your dog used to operating and sleeping in cooler temps. I would encourage the use of a dog sweater during the nights. Be sure that your dog is eating plenty before sleep. Also, you may want to design an enclosed windbreak under your hammock for the dog. My dog (hound mix) sleeps outside my tent and is good down to about 40* before I need to address the cold and bring him in. Also consider that the rain will sap heat from your dog and the nights will be difficult for her. You really need to address the void under your hammock and test it with your dog this winter. Try building a leaf and pine bed under the hammock and using a windbreak to enclose the bed area for her and test it. get her used to it and the sweater before you hit the trail. The colder she is at night the less distance she will be able to cover in the day. You may want to even modify a sweater to wrap her legs as well. Just my two cents. Best of luck to you and happy trails!

Images

We keep a fleece jacket with us and slip it on our dog when it get's too cold. Just put his front legs through the arms and zip it up the back. Keeps him nice and snug on those cold nights.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Not to discourage you but have you given any consideration to only taking your pal on part of your hike instead of trying to do the entire trail with him?

If it were my dog I'd take him on sections - during temperate-cool weather and send him back home to rest up from time to time.

thanks far all the suggestions , i have done some cold weather weekend trips with salsa before , but not any prolonged trips, i do have a very large tarp that i can pitch to the ground for wind protection.
    if i could leave her with someone for part of the trip, i would ,but unfortunately i don't have any family or friends who could help,
    the fleece and raincoat suggestions sound like they would work great

Images

i agree. my dog never hikes during bug season or in the heat/direct sun.
    since a dog will do what you want till death you need to learn to read them and QUIT when they should stop.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I see no problem keeping your dog warm. Harnessing the heat created by the burritos & salsa, in a tent for instance, should keep you both toasty. Seriously, consider tenting during the seasons of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i agree. my dog never hikes during bug season or in the heat/direct sun.
    since a dog will do what you want till death you need to learn to read them and QUIT when they should stop.
    i wholeheartedly agree, our pace will have to be determined by what she is capable of, i am in no rush ,i am out there to experience the surroundings
    , not race thru them.
    also ,salsa bieng a rhodesian ridgeback is a hiking machine, i have had several rotties that were amazing trail dogs, but couldnt take the heat
    salsa is a lot more heat tolerant than a lot of dogs, but i would never risk her well being for the sake of making a few more miles
    thanks again for your help

Don't forget the most important issue about keeping warm. It should be obvious that the dog needs to be insulated from below, just like we do. My dog sleeps on a foam pad, even when in the tent. I carry a Z-lite, folding pad (cut down to about 3/4 length). During the day it's my sit pad, at night it's my dog's sleep pad. It's also good to provide some comfort if she's sore. I wouldn't sleep directly on the hard, cold ground...so neither should my dog.
    I cover my dog with my down jacket at night, or even a rain jacket to trap her heat. I turn it so the exterior is in contact with the dog so I don't get fur on the inside. This system utilizes stuff I'm already carrying.
    I use a hammock in warm weather. When it's cool enough to bring my dog, I go back to a tent. I have hammock-camped with the dog, but only on short trips in clear, mild weather. I have hung under a tarp in thunderstorms and stayed quite dry myself, but shudder to think what would have become of my dog as the mud washed below me!

i tie an extra piece of zing it to my tie out line for my tarp creating a tri angle with a taught line hitch knot.this allows the triangle to be adjustable.run the line through my down jacket bottom opening ,and out the sleeve.you now can adjust the angle of the pitch on your coat,makes a nice down tarp tent.i then put my sit pad inside.on cold days i pile leave under and around the opening.my little friend loves it.warning dog snoring before you is not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairbear View Post
    i tie an extra piece of zing it to my tie out line for my tarp creating a tri angle with a taught line hitch knot.this allows the triangle to be adjustable.run the line through my down jacket bottom opening ,and out the sleeve.you now can adjust the angle of the pitch on your coat,makes a nice down tarp tent.i then put my sit pad inside.on cold days i pile leave under and around the opening.my little friend loves it.warning dog snoring before you is not good.
    I'd love to see a picture of this setup.

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    hi folks
    i am planning a 2013 thru hike with my ridgeback, 'salsa'. i am typically a hammock camper and salsa sleeps under the tarp, but i am concerned about her staying warm on the early and late sections of the hike
    [i plan to start at the end of march]. i do have a hubba hubba , but hate the idea of having to go back to a tent, even if only for a month or two.
    any advise?
    Head over to hammockforums and check out some of the DIY solutions for the dog - as usual the group over there just keep putting together better and better solutions to all kinds of problems including what to do with the dog in harsh weather.

thanks old boot ,i'll check it out , it's been a while since i visited over there anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    I'd love to see a picture of this setup.
    i'd like to see this too, any pics?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    my 80lb lab sleeps in my hammock in the winter or whenever she feels like it. DIY hammock with coated 1.9 nylon.
    How do you get the lab in with bottom entry?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

++ New Posts ++