WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Dinner is in the bag.

Chicken breast (will be replaced with a smoked turkey leg if I stop at a country grocery), stuffing, loaded mashed potatoes, gravy, banana pudding.
    I suppose I could dehydrate some green beans, and throw in some Craisins. Depends on how much time I got.

Attached Images Attached Images
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Dinner is in the bag.

Chicken breast (will be replaced with a smoked turkey leg if I stop at a country grocery), stuffing, loaded mashed potatoes, gravy, banana pudding.
    I suppose I could dehydrate some green beans, and throw in some Craisins. Depends on how much time I got.

Now that there looks like a tasty meal...white wine I assume?

I WAS going to do Hot Springs to Clingmans, but Sandy may have changed those plans. I'm used to hiking in snow (14 inches in Killington area last Thanksgiving, but not interested in 3 to 4 feet of the stuff. I may just hike around Hot Springs, or head a bit south of the Smokies.

My brother and I are talking about a quick out-and-back if the weather cooperates. Long Hunter State Park here in Nashville has a 6-mile hike to a backcountry campsite along the shore of Percy Priest Lake, and since we both got a bunch of new gear recently, we may do a mini-shakedown on Friday afternoon and come back the next day. I hope we can do it--I've got the itch!
    Double Wide is now BLUEBERRY
    Northbound (2nd Attempt) March 2017

Images

Several years ago my wife and I had a great Thanksgiving, 2 day trip, hiking around in NY's Harriman State Park.
    My wife packed up all the traditional holiday foods in freezer bags and we used a pot of boiling water to heat it all up.
    Then we relaxed to the sound of rain on a shelter roof.
    Perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    I normally do one with my 4 brothers every year. Not 100% sure about making it this year due to some other things I have going on right now but this is my favorite time of the year to go. Enjoy
    Damn, is anyone going for sure? Sorry I can't be there this year. Next year I am going to plan to be in the States for Thanksgiving/THC Hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter503 View Post
    Damn, is anyone going for sure? Sorry I can't be there this year. Next year I am going to plan to be in the States for Thanksgiving/THC Hike.
    Pretty sure Pat, Matt, TJ, and friends are going. I am not positive if I can make it with the foster dog (I still need to talk to Jenna about it). If I do go, I am going to get an ankle brace for my left ankle which is still really sore (rolled again at home) and I might take your poles (if I dont buy a set before which I assume is cool). Ill let you know. Pat and Mooch are out right now.

No problem. Definitely take the poles.

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    Several years ago my wife and I had a great Thanksgiving, 2 day trip, hiking around in NY's Harriman State Park.
    My wife packed up all the traditional holiday foods in freezer bags and we used a pot of boiling water to heat it all up.
    Then we relaxed to the sound of rain on a shelter roof.
    Perfect!
    Sounds dreamy-I want to Goooo!!!!

Images

Hells yeah! I should be I'm CT or NY by then. Prob eating a pasta bomb and maybe having some red if I can figure out where to buy it up here. HAPPY HIKING!

Last year I wanted to hike Turkey Day while my wife insisted we had to go to her mother's for family dinner. We compromised - I walked to her mother's house. Twelve miles through several small towns and down a number of minor highways. It was fascinating walking this route we had driven so many times - saw things I did not know were there. It took me about 4 hours with a nice stop at Sheetz for soda and snacks. Got there in time to take a quick shower before dinner. Only problem was that my feet and ankles and knees were sore for a week after walking the roadside instead of a nice dirt trail.

I'm probably going to be in the Smokies. Our dinner guests cancelled, so we don't have plans. I just pulled out the maps about an hour or so ago. I did Deep Creek trail last month, but it feels like I haven't been out in months.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++