WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Camera

Default Camera

Looking for a camera that will take pictures and shoot video.

A camera that's tough and can take a beating would be nice.

Just a small camera that can fit in my pocket and be mounted to a trekkingpole, or whatever.

I have a sony cybershot but i do not like it.

Also have a Samsung 10 megapixel HD pocket camcorder, this is a pretty sweet camera and very lightweight, but i've had it for year's and only used it a few times, picture quality is decent but i know its gotta be outdated by now.

I didnt realize there was an Electronics forum, please feel free to move thread if need be...

but i would like to hear from you UL'ers on what you guys bring.

I have a Nikon AW100 and love it. Waterproof, Freeze Proof, Shock Proof, ect. And has built in GPS which is real nice when downloading your pics. It syncs with Google Maps. The camera comes with a 40.5 MM filter adapter. Awesome for polarized and UV filters. I use a 32 gb class 10 sd card. Also have a small gorrila tri pod. I have used many different cameras like this , but this has been the absolute best for me... good luck.
    Less is More...

Quote Originally Posted by tjkenney67 View Post
    I have a Nikon AW100 and love it. Waterproof, Freeze Proof, Shock Proof, ect. And has built in GPS which is real nice when downloading your pics. It syncs with Google Maps. The camera comes with a 40.5 MM filter adapter. Awesome for polarized and UV filters. I use a 32 gb class 10 sd card. Also have a small gorrila tri pod. I have used many different cameras like this , but this has been the absolute best for me... good luck.
    +1 on this. I turned my ankle & fell twice on the trail recently with the nikon in my pocket. No damage to the camera!

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I used to carry a powershot on the trail but it went missing in our home and I haven't felt like ponying up a couple hundred bucks to buy a new one. Instead, I have been using my iphone camera (3gs, 4g). Yes it has fewer capabilities than a standard point and shoot I have still taken awesome photos that rivaled those I'd taken on a D70. As they say, the skill is in the composition and lighting, not as much the camera. If you did want to shave weight and have a camera that also shoots video, you could find a mount for your phone and use it instead of an additional camera.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

I've been seriously looking at a GoPro Hero 3. The video quality is phenomenal. Weighs in at 2.6 ounces.

Dude that AW100 looks sick, thanks for the recommendation. Exact kinda camera im looking for, an outdoors man camera that can be dropped and put in a variety of conditions, yet still take great pics and video. I'll have to do some research on this badboy.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Find a model that looks good, then go to dpreview.com for really in depth reviews. Good stuff...
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Which cybershot do you have, and specifically why do you not like it? I was just fixing to purchase the TX20. Now I am not so sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHiker View Post
    Looking for a camera that will take pictures and shoot video.

Just a small camera that can fit in my pocket and be mounted to a trekkingpole, or whatever.

Also have a Samsung 10 megapixel HD pocket camcorder, this is a pretty sweet camera and very lightweight, but i've had it for year's and only used it a few times, picture quality is decent but i know its gotta be outdated by now.

I have a pentax wg2. Works good for me
    Doing What You Like Is Freedom , Liking What You Do Is Happiness

[QUOTE=NaturalHiker;1361747]Looking for a camera that will take pictures and shoot video.

Also have a Samsung 10 megapixel HD pocket camcorder, this is a pretty sweet camera and very lightweight, but i've had it for year's and only used it a few times, picture quality is decent but i know its gotta be outdated by now.[/

Olympus-Stylus. Great Video and pics Underwater, in the rain, down the rapids, on the slopes I take it everywhere and always get the great shot because it's in my shirt pocket or cargo pocket or sitting on a rock in camp during the thunderstorm. Whatever, it's cheap and so far totally indestructible The video is outstanding and camera has got a load of features. I bought a little mount and use in on my kayak and hiking stick. I Love it!

Hm, the aw100 did not get a good rating on the site because of a few certain things im glad im aware of now.

I dont like that camera's always have all these automatic settings, i know its supposed to help a lot but have you ever noticed how good of picture's some phone's take?

Its like the color is much more vibrant on my phone than with my sony cybershot.

i just want a point and shoot that takes the best picture, and im sure that's what those filter's are there for but, it seems like sometimes they can do as much bad to good to a picture...

and it would be sweet to be able to mount the camera to a tripod and take long exposure nighttime photo's

Well, the cybershot was actually always my choice of point and shoot's up until this last one. Anytime i drop a cybershot from say waist-high, its done. Cant survive a fall to the ground from 3 feet.

And my last one had problems freezing/lagging and randomly changing settings on me while i was in the middle of trying to shoot. Plus the picture quality isnt as good as some other camera's i've seen in the same class. Even though it is 14 megapixels it seems like my friends IPhone photo's still come out with better color/lighting.

I saw an Olympus TG -620 in Sams Club and the thing looks indestructible
    http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-TG-610.../dp/B004HO59ZQ

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHiker View Post
    Hm, the aw100 did not get a good rating on the site because of a few certain things im glad im aware of now.

I dont like that camera's always have all these automatic settings, i know its supposed to help a lot but have you ever noticed how good of picture's some phone's take?

Its like the color is much more vibrant on my phone than with my sony cybershot.

i just want a point and shoot that takes the best picture, and im sure that's what those filter's are there for but, it seems like sometimes they can do as much bad to good to a picture...

and it would be sweet to be able to mount the camera to a tripod and take long exposure nighttime photo's
    I read the same reviews you did. None of the cameras received perfect scores, and it got very confusing remembering which camera had what. I finally realized that the reviewers are probably pickier than I'll ever be, and I got the Nikon AW100 because the good points outweighed the not-so-good. I've used my AW100 a couple of months now, while canoeing and hiking, and I'm very pleased with it. I haven't seen any problems with the settings or the quality of the color in general. There are enough automatic settings that you can play around with them and find one that gives the color intensity you prefer. I really like its durability, which came in handy after I fell on top of it while hiking over the weekend :-o

+1 to Train Wreck... You will not be disappointed with this camera. There are more features and manual settings on this camera than you will ever need.
    Less is More...

Images

I'm in the market for a new camera and am waiting to the last minute to see if anything new comes out but this is at the top at the moment.
    Not cheap and I'm hoping for an update that gets me more zoom but the reviews give it the best optics/image in "outdoors" cameras.
    http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/digi...ough-tg-1.html

I haven't tried one yet, but the new Nikon Coolpix S01 is interesting: http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Pro...Tabs-TechSpecs
    http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/...x/S01RM_EN.pdf

TINY (2" x 3" x 0.75"), weighs 96g (3.6oz). One of the lightest actual cameras you can buy.

Anyway, before deciding on an exact model, think about this: are you after something that takes pictures, and sometimes video, OR something that takes video and sometimes pictures? Best tool for the job and all. Want mostly video and occasionally stills? Get a GoPro or Contour. Want mostly stills and occasionally video? Get a still camera as mentioned in this thread.

Images

I have an inexpensive Nikon Coolpix S3100. I have had it for a year and it takes decent pictures but isnt Trail proof. I clip it to my shoulder strap and it just hangs free while Im hiking and when I need it it is right there for a picture or video.

I stop alot to take pictures when I see something I want to remember for my hike.

I wouldnt recomend this camera for anyone doing a thru hike though. The lens is very fragile and has alot of motion when you turn the camera on, it accidentally turned on once in my hip pocket and the lens had no room to open up and it jammed the motor mechanisms.

Luckily I use to work at a camera repair shop in the 90s and still have some tools so I fixed it.

Any camera will work for you, it's the photographer not the equipment. Just get yourself a lightweight camera that is waterproof and you will be fine. You will have more than enough subject matter to make up for your equipment. I always do anyway.
    You're not going to live forever
    Find this to be true
    Use your past as a guide
    While you're alive
    Live

Default Camera

Check out the Pentax W series or Fujifilm xp 150 or 170. Pentax takes awesome pics and video is only limited by your memory, it can definitely take the abuse of a thru hike. Not much experience with the durability of th Fujifilm but it takes good pics and the price is right.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++