WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Usually happens when Clown College invades a thread.
    So it's good you came?
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    Jake... we don't want to change you. But you do seem stuck in the mind-set of thinking that everyone is out to change you. What we mean by being set free is to be free of that feeling. Being free to do your own thing and realize that everyone else is fine doing theirs. I know I don't know what you are thinking but that's how you are coming across.... I like you well enough & have no ill feelings towards you.
    Good post, HikerMom. Time for me to go find a trail and commune with it. Got a new picture-taking thing that also places calls.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

meant to be quoted above.
    Thru-hiking IS NOT just about hiking! Think about it. This revelation might improve your life experiences when hiking! or not hiking!
    Dogwood talks a whole bunch of HYOH BS here then goes and is trying to 'enlighten" the guy wanting to do a fast hike with no zeros for a personal challenge.

Hypocrite.

Quote Originally Posted by jakedatc View Post
    Thanks GG.. I just find HYOH people are hypocritical when it comes to people who want to hike faster or further. Always seem to think they know better and they want to change people.

Luckily this doesn't happen in the woods because they are quickly left behind. And in my experience when the 2 types mix it is generally fun. Met a family on Killington that did in 3 days what we did in 1, they did a family trip every year. they laughed about how much crap they still had.. canned food etc. they shared snacks and stuff with everyone there. They were having fun, we were having fun.

Hikermom you don't know me, you don't know how I think. I'm not "trapped" somehow. I don't go hiking for introspection, I go hiking to hike.

I enjoy what I do, how I do it like many others here. I and others don't need to be CHANGED.

"Light doesn't mean you have to go fast, but it sure is fun sometimes" - my LT trailjournal after my 2nd to last day
    http://jakedatc.wordpress.com/ go read it if you want...
    Introspection is way overrated. I would rather think about so many other things. For me hiking is about shutting down the mind and getting back to basics (Sleep, eat, walk, look at the scenery and finding a good spot to poo each day) not much else to think about.

Be nice! No need for all that. I think you misinterpreted my intentions and what I stated. I know where you are coming from Jakedatc. At this point in my life I'm so jaded that when someone tells me I can't acheive something, it's too difficult, or something is impossible I automatically believe that I'm capable of doing it or it can be accomplished, not because I'm being rebellious but because I've proven the naysayers wrong so many times! If you want to do a hike with no zeros and zip down the trail with your hair on fire do it and stop with all the needless wannabe coulda woulda shoulda but didn't chatter.

It seems you are getting annoyed and resentful though, perhaps even angry, by other people's different or opposing opinions, which is something you might want to rise above if you want to hike and live live outside of the box. Naysayers are everywhere! Get used to that. Champions, those striving to reach new heights, exploring new domains, stretching themselves to go further and faster like yourself need to be aware their endeavors, attempts, failures, and accomplishments are going to come under scrutiny. But, you might also be willing to look at your hiking and perhaps living from different perspectives, sometimes opposing perspectives that others offer, that could possibly offer new insights. Be willing to take wise instruction. If we didn't do that we would all still believe in the Easter bunny. Of course, you would need to be able to discern between what's wisdom and what's simply naysaying in order to accept and apply sagacious advice. My advice is to not get overly hung-up with those who say going faster and further, or slower and shorter, are wrong.

So why are you telling Squirrel to take zero days when that is not his goal. he does not want to smell the flowers, see trail towns, chat with ukelele strumming stoners. He wants to do the trail with no zeros

read where i quoted you again. Think about how that looks to someone who is planning to do something hard.. really hard. Instead of all the negative folks on there how about some positive encouragement.. like make sure you eat right, drink enough, stretch well, keep you feet in good shape. THAT is the advice he needs.. not people telling him he is going to fail before he even starts.

You better read my post on that thread again. No where do I say to Squireel to take "zero" days. If Squireel wants to thru-hike with no "zero" days then he should go for it! That's his decision. I wish him nothing but success in his endeavors. And, when taken in context with my last post on this thread, why should Squireel give one iota of concern if someone, including myself, was to tell him he can't thru-hike with no zeros; IF he, or anyone for that matter, truely wants to do the things he says he wants to do then just go do it and stop talking about it. Come back and let us know how it went. And, prove anyone wrong who said he couldn't or shouldn't. Raise the bar! Demonstrate through accomplishment the possibilities! Even if failing to accomplish the goal come back and let us know what you've learned!

I did say, "Thru-hiking IS NOT just about hiking! Think about it. This revelation might improve your life experiences when hiking! or not hiking!" and stand by what I said. Perhaps, the confusion arose with the inclusion of "...or not hiking!" but that was NOT meant to necessarily imply "zero" days. I was referring to all of life's many experiences when not hiking or hiking! See the difference?

Jakedatc, I think you might have mistakenly pegged me as someone who says you can't when I'm often the one raising my voice over the crowd to say you can.

And, don't confuse my statements and intentions with others.

So you are implying that he is missing out on something that he is not concerned about missing? Maybe i'm just confused on what you are trying to accomplish by telling him that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Introspection is way overrated. I would rather think about so many other things. For me hiking is about shutting down the mind and getting back to basics (Sleep, eat, walk, look at the scenery and finding a good spot to poo each day) not much else to think about.
    Um, got some questions. How do you "think about so many other things" and shut down the mind at the same time? How do you engage in and enjoy sleeping, eating, walking, looking at the scenery, and pooing with your mind not involved?

Even though I know we can slow our thinking and brain functions down as well as channel and limit our thoughts in a particuliar direction do our minds really entirely shut down when we sleep, eat, walk, look at the scenery? You're not a zombie are you? Even when "zoned out" do our minds not work on some level?

Do you mean to say rather than being introspective you instead channel your thoughts into something more basic? I find when well into a long distance thru-hike my entire being somehow becomes more alive, more in tune, more connected with everything else. That is, my body, senses, spirit, and even thoughts(mind) become clearer and more acute. I become more aware! Perhaps, one reason my thoughts become clearer is that so much of the daily entaglements and BS of modern human civilization have been deleted. Is that what you are saying?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood:1363048
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Um, got some questions. How do you "think about so many other things" and shut down the mind at the same time? How do you engage in and enjoy sleeping, eating, walking, looking at the scenery, and pooing with your mind not involved?

Even though I know we can slow our thinking and brain functions down as well as channel and limit our thoughts in a particuliar direction do our minds really entirely shut down when we sleep, eat, walk, look at the scenery? You're not a zombie are you? Even when "zoned out" do our minds not work on some level?

Do you mean to say rather than being introspective you instead channel your thoughts into something more basic? I find when well into a long distance thru-hike my entire being somehow becomes more alive, more in tune, more connected with everything else. That is, my body, senses, spirit, and even thoughts(mind) become clearer and more acute. I become more aware! Perhaps, one reason my thoughts become clearer is that so much of the daily entaglements and BS of modern human civilization have been deleted. Is that what you are saying?
    I still think. Just not about b.s. I don't think about work or regular problems. Also I usrd the word introspection which implies critical thinking about yourself. Thinking about flowers, mountains or bear scat is not introspective thinking.
    Last edited by Rasty; 11-17-2012 at 17:15.

Thru-hiking is not just about walking down a trail. It's also about resupplying, maintaining your body, gear, and mind, adapting, getting wet, hot, cold and dirty, sleeping, eating, feeling the breeze and sunshine on your face, smelling the pine and spruce, hearing the snow crunching under your feet, having birds eat from your hand, meeting and overcoming the myriad of challenges posed every single day, being exposed to things you usually are not exposed to and having the where with all to embrace it all, etc. What I was implying in my statement was that even if driving a car you don't just drive. All sorts of other things are happening to you, around you, and that you are effecting. It's the same with thru-hiking. Thru-hiking isn't just about hiking.

You might try not being so combative. Hiking should be about enjoying something not

Thanks Rasty.

Images

1 of the benefits of hiking is shutting down your internal dialogue. this opens your mind to insights you normally would not be aware of.ego disolves and awareness increases.

you can think of lots of other things other than yourself. mmmm foood.... what is that noise.. what is that smell (Rasty must have come through here).. mmm food... mmm sleeeeep... HEY LOOK SHINY! foooood?

or zone out just enough so that when the stupid grouse flush out 2' in front of your feet your heart rate can jump 200 bpm and freak out.

Quote Originally Posted by jakedatc View Post
    So you are implying that he is missing out on something that he is not concerned about missing? Maybe i'm just confused on what you are trying to accomplish by telling him that.

How can you appreciate what you are missing if you aren't aware of what you are missing? I think that's what several posters have been trying to say in their own words.

Quote Originally Posted by jakedatc:1363057
    you can think of lots of other things other than yourself. mmmm foood.... what is that noise.. what is that smell (Rasty must have come through here).. mmm food... mmm sleeeeep... HEY LOOK SHINY! foooood?

or zone out just enough so that when the stupid grouse flush out 2' in front of your feet your heart rate can jump 200 bpm and freak out.
    I only section hike so you can't smell me 1/4 mile away.

...what is that smell (Rasty must have come through here).. mmm food... mmm sleeeeep... HEY LOOK SHINY! foooood?

LOL. We all got to lighten up some. That's how we can do it.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

The OP requested the thread be shut down. Per policy, it is being shut down.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

If it makes you too feel better to say I stink then that's ok. I'm comfortable with my hygiene habits.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++