WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default New Privies & Trip Report

Just got back late yesterday from 3 day maintenance trip from Log Cabin Rd. to Jerry's Cabin shelter.On the way up Tuesday afternoon I saw bear about 1 mile S of Little Laurel shelter.Upon arrival at LL shelter I found a big mess left on the bunk.Several packages of unopened food on the bunk and some half eaten food thrown in firepit.Burned what I could&packed out the rest.The privy has been moved here and is ready for use.Got up Wed. and hiked over to Jerry's Cabin shelter.The privy there was just moved&rebuilt on 11-7 by the Carolina Mtn. Club & USFS.There is a wheelchair access ramp there too. Thanks to those who worked as the old one was full to the seat and would have been a health hazard in warm weather.The shelter had very little litter but I did find that someone had sawed off the handle of the shovel,I guess for firewood.I just packed it and a broom in back in February.On my way back I took the Bad Weather trail around the Big Firescald relo.There were many snowdowns from Sandy.With help from a section hiker(Fiber 1) it took us about an hour to cut the worst ones and move many fallen branches.There are still several trees,which can be stepped over and will require a chainsaw to remove.The trail is easily passable now,as many hikers use it due to the rough going on the relo in bad weather.I did meet 2 fellow WBers 10-K and Evansprater who is NOBO till really bad weather sets in.The weather was great with daytime temps only reaching 40* and night time lows at 30* both nights.I did meet about 7 SOBOs who started in MA.The last one I talked to said he thought that there were only about 15-20 behind him trying to get to Springer.It's always great to get out and do a little clean-up as this section,Erwin to Hot Springs,seems to get more use in the last few years.One last note,I did not see any mice at both shelters.I guess by regular clean-ups and other means it may stay that way for a while.Well happy hiking to all & enjoy your stay in the area019.JPG034.JPG051.jpg009.jpg025.JPG

Until next Thru-hiker season.

Thanks for your work! I remember passing by that shelter in 2010. It looks great!!

Images

I loved firescald bald! When I got to Jerrys Cabin in April people told me shiltters full....don't bother. Didn't explore further. Lots of blowdowns in New England but the Massachusettes club is on top of it for the most part. Looking forward towards putting my Stihl and Tirfor to use once this thruhike is done. Rock on

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

"Several packages of unopened food"

score man! money.

Thanks for your hard work, as for the shovel, looks like some one was trying to make it a UL item, on their next trip they would have drilled holes in it. LOL
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

++ New Posts ++