WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: hostess debacle

Default hostess debacle

Hostess going under is going to increase hiking costs. The alternatives to hostess pastry are almost always a good deal higher in cost and certainly not as available has hostess products have been. I'm really gonna miss the cherry pie for breakfast. Pop tart makers may be a good investment right now.

Images

TastyKake is destined to rule the snack cake world. Somewhat pricey though.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

Journal Entries
    Images

Oh come on it won't be missed

Entemanns
    http://www.entenmanns.com/
    Tastykake
    http://www.tastykake.com/
    Keebler
    http://www.keebler.com/
    Fresh and Tasty in the Bronx
    http://www.freshandtasty.com/products.htm
    Pepper ridge farm
    http://www.pepperidgefarm.com/

I walked into a Wawa yesterday and they weren't even offered - they have been loosing marketshare for years.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Don't you guys watch Seinfeld? Here's the replacement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZU05h3U2Hw

Screw Hostess, twinkies and Funny Bones. Little Debbies FTW!

Journal Entries
    Images

That's the spirit! Sly gets a big award!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Hostess won't go away, it will sell the rights to another company for the products. I have not had a Twinkie in 20 years so for me no great loss!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Hostess won't go away, it will sell the rights to another company for the products. I have not had a Twinkie in 20 years so for me no great loss!
    +1. This, Another company will purchase the name and recipies carrying brand recognition and return them to the market.

On the other hand who would of thought that "Zombie Land" predicted the future so well...
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

Drake's Devil Dogs were my favorite growing up.....wasn't interested in Twinkies so I won't miss them.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Don't you guys watch Seinfeld? Here's the replacement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZU05h3U2Hw
    haw - drakes is owned by hostess! its a gonner too. hope you are starting to realize how important an issue this is.

this is a serious azz matter so I hope you guys will quit joking around. the only surviving cheap possibility is pup-tarts and I hate those things.

Quote Originally Posted by juma:1363051
    this is a serious azz matter so I hope you guys will quit joking around. the only surviving cheap possibility is pup-tarts and I hate those things.
    Little Debbie's are even cheaper and less healthy than Twinkees. Problem solved!

I never even considered eating twinkies on the trail...no nutritional value, don't taste very good, and rather low calories/oz regardless (about 100 cal/oz).

Unless you are determined to pay more for equally poor quality but similar trail foods, the worst case scenario is you'll replace it with slightly healthier, more calorie dense foods. Scary.

Quote Originally Posted by HermesUL:1363064
    I never even considered eating twinkies on the trail...no nutritional value, don't taste very good, and rather low calories/oz regardless (about 100 cal/oz).

Unless you are determined to pay more for equally poor quality but similar trail foods, the worst case scenario is you'll replace it with slightly healthier, more calorie dense foods. Scary.
    I really think real story is about 18500 jobs pissed away. Twinkees will come back but under a new corporate name with new employees. Hostess could not charge enough because its price is influenced by it's competition. To pay the pensions, healthcare and wages of the employees and rising costs of corn and wheat drove them right back into bankruptcy for the second time.
    Last edited by Rasty; 11-17-2012 at 17:55.

I really think real story is about 18500 jobs pissed away. Twinkees will come back but under a new corporate name with new employees. Hostess could not charge enough because its price is influenced by it's competition. To pay the pensions, healthcare and wages of the employees and rising costs of corn and wheat drove them right back into bankruptcy for the second time.
    And sugar. A small percentage of farmers with a hammer lock on Washington DC keep sugar tariffs in place that make it cost effective to off shore confectionery and semi-stable baking products. That's why both Life Savers and Jolly Ranchers are no longer made in USA. A Mexican outfit called Grupo Bimbo will probably buy the remains, they already own such things as Thomas' english muffins.

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh:1363079
    And sugar. A small percentage of farmers with a hammer lock on Washington DC keep sugar tariffs in place that make it cost effective to off shore confectionery and semi-stable baking products. That's why both Life Savers and Jolly Ranchers are no longer made in USA. A Mexican outfit called Grupo Bimbo will probably buy the remains, they already own such things as Thomas' english muffins.
    And sugar. I looked and they use sugar in addition to corn syrup. Actually kind of suprised me that they splurged on sugar instead of using modified corn syrup. ADM and Conagra are two of the most influential companies in America.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by juma View Post
    Hostess going under is going to increase hiking costs. The alternatives to hostess pastry are almost always a good deal higher in cost and certainly not as available has hostess products have been. I'm really gonna miss the cherry pie for breakfast. Pop tart makers may be a good investment right now.
    What is the reason for the company going belly up?

Little Debbies Oatmeal Cookies rule!!!

This may be the beginning of the end of time! Those Mayans sure were smart!

The Mayans went extinct from eating too many Twinkies that the Spanish brought over.

Quote Originally Posted by snorz View Post
    This may be the beginning of the end of time! Those Mayans sure were smart!
    dang, why didn't I think of that. 2012 is passed and people thought nothing would happen - here it is - THE END OF THE WORLD:0

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++