WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default vienna sausage can stove?

Seems to me that recently someone had posted very simple instructions for making a alchy stove from a potted meat or vienna sausage can.
    I want to carry one as backup/extra stove for loaning out or "fancy cooking" on two stoves. However I have searched & searched & cannot find it.

Help!

I mostly remember the directions, but want to get it right.

Thanks.

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Called the Atlanta or atlanta Randy stove, I think.

Images

Get a Vienna sausage can and a hole punch. Make a ring of holes near the lip, then make a second ring slightly offset below the first ring. You now have a stove.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

2.17% and counting
    Images

I recently made the Zen stove. I found that the combination of the side burner design, and my tall and narrow pot (Heineken Keg can) made it rather inefficent. Plus the darn thing burned so hot and fast that I melted my oven liner wind screen. http://zenstoves.net/

The Zen stoves website also has instructions for the Atlanta stove and several other alcohol burning stoves. http://zenstoves.net/AtlantaStove.htm

so far the best "stove" I have found for the Heineken Keg Can pot is the tin from a tea light candle - filled up it holds maybe 0.5 ounce of alcohol which is good enough to boil 1.75 cups of water in the HKC - every other burner I tried was not as efficient with this pot - even the ION stove seems to have a problem with the fact that the bottom of the HKC is concave and not flat and thus does not pressurize the ION enough for the jets to work well

Images

No doubt.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

i made one,they are very easy,and work quite well neo

I personally use the Super Cat stove, which is made from a single 3 oz can of cat (or potted meat) food. You can find directions at http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/index.html
    I like it because it is super simple. beyond light (under a quarter of an ounce), and efficiant. I personally dont like the really common pepsi can stove because they are so complicated, and if i sqished one, or lost one on the trail, I would never be able to build another one in a couple mins in the next town.

Good luck with you stove,
    Pink

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    Get a Vienna sausage can and a hole punch. Make a ring of holes near the lip, then make a second ring slightly offset below the first ring. You now have a stove.
    It is a great little stove. I modified it some by punching the holes about a half inch up from the base. Less of the heat is wasted around the sides of the pot that way in my experience. I also made a little "cigarette holder" plate just the right size to hold the stove. (It is cut in a circle from the metal from the side of a soft drink can, and the edges are ruffled up with a pair of needle nose pliars.) This allows a couple of ccs of alcohol to be burned outside the can, heating it enough that the alcohol begins to vaporize.

This has become my favorite alcohol stove.
    Walk Well,
    Risk

Author of "A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike"
    http://www.wayahpress.com

Personal hiking page: http://www.imrisk.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice
    so far the best "stove" I have found for the Heineken Keg Can pot is the tin from a tea light candle - filled up it holds maybe 0.5 ounce of alcohol which is good enough to boil 1.75 cups of water in the HKC - every other burner I tried was not as efficient with this pot - even the ION stove seems to have a problem with the fact that the bottom of the HKC is concave and not flat and thus does not pressurize the ION enough for the jets to work well
    I'm messing with one of those pots now. I was out at the video store and saw a can laying on the ground and thought "What the heck?". I remember you sending me one in Iraq (it is a casualty of war now) and I liked it. Do you ever eat or drink from the can, or is it only a heater for water for boil and bag cooking?

I'm also working on a TiPod mod that will work better with the HKC, the Ion flame pattern is nice on it, and the can should be fairly stable on top of the stand when I make a fitted grove top.

I'm now looking for a good lid solution. I've actually thought about getting a can cozy and a lid from a coffee mug that would fit so I could drink coffee from it in the mornings.

Since you have used the HKC can for a while, I would love to hear your thoughts.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Default Oddly enough

Oddly enough; I'm Atlanta Randy and yes the "Atlanta stove" is my baby.
    I know the sarge from his site, I talked to him about using trick birthday candles for fire starting. Feel free to email with any questions. The complete instructions and a template are on the "zen stove" website.

Randy

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Randy View Post
    Oddly enough; I'm Atlanta Randy and yes the "Atlanta stove" is my baby.
    I know the sarge from his site, I talked to him about using trick birthday candles for fire starting. Feel free to email with any questions. The complete instructions and a template are on the "zen stove" website.

Randy
    Just what we need around here. Another Stovie.

Welcome to White Blaze, Randy!
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Smile vienna sausage can stove?

I started the AT with a zip stove. It worked fine except that it required the most fussing when I felt least like fussing. When my son went home from Gatlinburg I gave him the zip stove. I found a base for an esbit stove in a hiker box. Then I fed Winter those Vienna sausages. I took my little Gerber knife and cut some square holes just below the rim of the sausage can. That was my alcohol stove. I didn't need a wind screen. The esbit frame blocked the wind. The can came real close to the pan. I quickly learned how much alcohol to put in to boil my Lipton water. It worked great. I still have it and still use it. I have many other stoves but that is the simplest and lightest in my opinion. Any similarity to any other stove in history is coincidental....it was genius.

Default Another Stovie???

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Just what we need around here. Another Stovie.

Welcome to White Blaze, Randy!

Nahhhh, My 17 year old Whisperlight finally gave up the ghost on the trail and I found an empty potted meat can in the weeds.

The original "trail model" worked for 5 years until my son stepped on it.

I'm amazed at how much press it's gotten.

"Give the laziest man the hardest job and he'll find the easiest way to do it"

Randy

Arrow Here you go...

My own modest (ahem...) contribution to my fellow fanatics of the homemade stove fraternity:

http://www.backpacking.net/makegear/...ove/index.html

Have fun...don't burn down the house/woods/whatever!

An ASA (Alcohol Stove Anonymous) support group is also available.

I used a vienna sausage can stove on my through-hike and made a cat food can stove for a hike this summer. The cat food can was more stable because it's shorter. Both had a double ring of holes made with a hole puncher and both worked great. The cat food can smelled a little fishy until I bleached it. You can't beat simplicity in a stove.

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    My own modest (ahem...) contribution to my fellow fanatics of the homemade stove fraternity:

http://www.backpacking.net/makegear/...ove/index.html

Have fun...don't burn down the house/woods/whatever!

An ASA (Alcohol Stove Anonymous) support group is also available.
    I'll bet an Ion would work well in there. I'd tried something similar, but your's is better looking and probably works better as well.
    Just hike.

Question Might be so...

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    I'll bet an Ion would work well in there. I'd tried something similar, but your's is better looking and probably works better as well.
    I originally designed the Goya with the goals of rapid setup, stability, and ease of lighting. I included a soda can "socket" that would allow the easy substitution of different types of soda can stoves into the larger Goya can. You can probably delete the socket and glue in an Ion stove quite easily.

If you check out my "Stove Efficiency" article and spreadsheet, posted at WB and at Sgt. Rock's site, you'll see that the wire mesh on top actually reduces the efficiency of the Goya system.

I did a test with a stove I call the "Double Cat" (basically a smaller 3 ounce can cat stove placed inside a larger 5 ounce cat food can) with holes punched every 1/2 inch, or so, around the perimeter of both cans. I filed some shallow grooves into the top edges of the cans and left off the wire mesh. I got the little beast to burn for 17 minutes on 12.1 ML of fuel. I haven't been able to follow up on this due to some health problems in the family, but plan to do so ASAP.

The slow simmer, fuel efficient homemade stove is the "Holy Grail" of ASA fanatics. But, if we fine this elusive goal..what do we do next?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ove+Efficiency

http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread...ove+Efficiency

Exclamation Lest I forget!!!...

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    If you check out my "Stove Efficiency" article and spreadsheet,...
    I must also give credit to the contributions that my collaborator (unidicted co-conspirator? ) Jason Klass made to the "Stove Efficiency" article. He provided valuable information for the article, and cracked the whip (nag...nag...nag...) by making valuable suggestions regarding the layout of the article and spreadsheet.

As in "dessert" not "desert"

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Can you use a smaller cat food/tuna can or does that not have enough capacity? (Do you need the taller Vienna can, I guess is what I'm asking). Not that it's a big job to come up with one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++