WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cotton in camp?

Journal Entries
    Images

Interesting post RussB I did not know that... Hey if someone wants to pack a t-shirt and I have a few, thats fine... but I think it would be dead weight on the trail for distance hiking. I like the earlier bounce box idea thou.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks for the input, guys!

Early on cotton was a luxury fabric, not the sort of thing you would wear in the woods.

Journal Entries
    Images

Im stumped SwJohnsey Here are some indians in the early 1900's wearing cotton in Pennsylvania.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by russb View Post
    Amazing how so many backpackers and campers survived for so many years wearing cotton. Most people shy away from the woods during the times when cotton will "kill". In my experience, it isn't the fabric one wears, it is the inexperience, or lack of knowledge by the person outdoors which "kills". some fabrics are better for certain things. Knowing when and how to use them is more important than some catchy slogan used by those who do not understand.

Anyone know the true origin of the adage? IIRC, it was used in a book/pamphlet many many years ago and then was absconded by fabric manufacturers to use as a marketing gimmick.
    they also used oiled canvas tents, hobnailed boots and steel framed packs but that doesn't mean you can't do better.

most cold weather clothing was wool actually. which insulates better when wet and is naturally fire resistant

For warmth in spring/fall, you'd do better with synthetic or wool or silk.

I hiked the AT before there were a lot of synthetic hiking clothes and I wore cotton all the time, both tshirts and long pants. It didn't kill me. My long underwear was synthetic, so when it was cold I had on my long johns and I was fine. However, as others have said, it does take longer to dry out than more modern synthetics, so when I'm in a damp climate, I always wear synthetics. For desert dayhiking, I still wear cotton, because I want a fabric that will stay wet with sweat. When doing a long hike though, I'd rather have a tech t because usually they are several ounces lighter than cotton.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by russb View Post
    Amazing how so many backpackers and campers survived for so many years wearing cotton. Most people shy away from the woods during the times when cotton will "kill". In my experience, it isn't the fabric one wears, it is the inexperience, or lack of knowledge by the person outdoors which "kills". some fabrics are better for certain things. Knowing when and how to use them is more important than some catchy slogan used by those who do not understand.

Anyone know the true origin of the adage? IIRC, it was used in a book/pamphlet many many years ago and then was absconded by fabric manufacturers to use as a marketing gimmick.

Exactly...

I enjoy wearing cotton in the summer while hiking.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

A guy I hiked with in '08 bought a pair of cotton pajama pants early on to wear in camp and in town. When I bumped into him again in Maine, he still had them. So long as you keep coton dry, no big deal. It's only an issue if you try to hike in cotton in the rain. Then you might have a problem.

On one of my first backpacking trips, we went to the ADK high peaks region in the early fall. We meet a Ranger on the way in and he lectured us for at least 1/2 hour about our wearing bluegenes. Besides the usual "dressed for death" issue, his main problem with cotton clothes was the fact that when they get wet, they get heavy and when they get heavy, a lot of people abandon them and he has to hike the wet clothes out. I'm sure you've all seen that on the trail, you could pick up quite the wardrobe of abandoned cotton clothes off the trail if you wanted.

After the Ranger slowed down with his rant about cotton clothes, I finally got to ask him what he thought we should be wearing. Keep in mind this was in 1978 so there weren't any recycled plastic bottle clothes available yet. He pointed to his ranger suite, which was basically a 60/40 nylon-cotton blend, the same as Dickie work clothes. So, as soon as I got home I went and bought myself a ranger suite and wore it for years.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Im stumped SwJohnsey Here are some indians in the early 1900's wearing cotton in Pennsylvania.
    They appear to wearin' their Sunday best for the portrait.

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    They appear to wearin' their Sunday best for the portrait.
    Yes for dressed for portrait. No for "Sunday". No to Western Pennsylvania, this particular mother and daughter were in Oklahoma in 1915.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I saw a thru-hiker wearing a cotton bath robe at Muskrat Creek Shelter last spring. If he was smoking a pipe and had an ascot, I'd swear he was Hugh Hefner. Always wondered if he ever dumped the robe?

The only cotton I ever carry is in the form of my bandana.

Images

you will most certainly die in cotton(although i used to hike in jeans and t shirt all the time back in the 70s).
    theres been mention here that cotton doesnt dry, well neither does many "wicking"fabrics, which work great when you're wearing them, but never dry because they sop up every ounce of moisture in the air.
    I wear cotton t shirts on hot dry days, for sleep id still stick to smartwool or synthetics. even if damp, unlike cotton, doesnt lose its thermal retention properties.

Someone made a great point that a cotton t-shirt in hot weather can be wet down and the evaporative cooling will help you deal with the heat. Like every other hard and fast rule, there are usually exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    Someone made a great point that a cotton t-shirt in hot weather can be wet down and the evaporative cooling will help you deal with the heat. Like every other hard and fast rule, there are usually exceptions.
    to be fair... you can wet down any fabric. i find wet cotton to be pretty abrasive under shoulder straps.

Soft thin cotton short is great in the summer. As long as you have a spare wool later in your pack you are all set.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    Let me go

Long term section hiker Stalking Tortoise's Avatar

For shorter length section hikes, I often bring a pair of cotton boxers for sleeping. I clean up with wipes and change just before bed. In the morning, the synthetic boxers go back on.

My back, my weight, my comfort while sleeping.
    Completed Sections: Springer to Clingmans Dome, & Max Patch to Gorham NH

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    So long as you keep coton dry, no big deal. It's only an issue if you try to hike in cotton in the rain. Then you might have a problem.
    Sweat alone makes it a problem. I don't need rain to soak my shirt and have the sweat soak my underwear and the top part of my pants...sometimes down to my knees depending on how hard I'm walking and if there's wind.

A Q-tip or a bandanna would be the only thing cotton I'd have. Synthetics, silk or wool are the norm. I do carry, in colder climates, a down WM sleeping bag, pack it in a dry-bag to keep dry. Cotton and down are useless when wet, heavy, smell, hard to dry, and will not keep you warm. Some cotton would be OK in extreme hot climates as long as you can dry it after it gets wet.

Default Cotton in camp?

A bandana and a Rusty's shirt are the only things cotton you should have in your pack.

bandanas are the only cotton items in my pack !
    see the path cut by the moon for you to walk on

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++