Default Good Plus Size Clothing Source?

Ok ladies, I'm in desperate need of decent hiking pants in plus size (18)! I'm having a devil of a time finding them. Last year for my week on the trail I ended up just wearing my cotton pants and I was miserable. The only non chafing, comfy pants I have for hiking are my running tights. Are there any good lines/sites out there that I've yet to discover?

Images

I switched to men's pants and shorts. Not only do they have a greater size range, but they last longer and they're better made. And they're not impractically short for actual... you know. Hiking.

My current pants are RailRiders Eco-mesh. They're bug-treated, and they have elastic at the waist. I wear... I guess a 16, and the pants I have are Large. I'm guessing 18 would be XL.

For shorts, the ones I'm using on my thru attempt are from GoLite.

I also have a pair of Kuhl pants from REI that I like a lot, but they're one of those types of men's pants that don't translate well to women's bodies: too large in the waist, a bit too snug in the thighs. But they fit me OK for hiking, and they're comfortable.

Hike smarter, not harder.

I've gotten my wife pants from Craghoppers, they have a wide range of sizes. Doesn't seem to be the reverse vanity sizing that MH and TNF seem to have. If you sign up for emails, they have some great sales.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

It's got less cachet, but Wal-Mart is a pretty good source for plus-sized stuff. I got some synthetic Starter thigh-compressing under pants there recently for a lot less that I'd've paid for substantially the same thing elsewhere. Also got some decent summer-season shorts for gym and outdoors. I agree with Karma13 that looking at men's clothes can work well, too, so long as issues of cut and fit in a given size can be reckoned with.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

I hear ya about the men's pants being too big in the waist, but even in women's sizes, by the time they fit my hips, you could drive a car through the waist. The easiest solution for me has been to get a good fit in the hips and thighs and take darts in the waist.

About 4-5 years ago, I bought 3 pair of Columbia's PFG (Performance Fishing Gear) zip off pants from Academy, in a Men's XL. These have been extremely durable and I have used them extensively. I wear them on every canoe, hiking, camping trip I take. I also use them for yard work, gardening, and general around the house chores. They look as good now as they did when I bought them. They are cool for summer, and work well in winter by wearing silk or polypro long johns under. I also like that they have good pockets. Although I don't recall the exact cost, they were reasonably priced--especially when you factor in the durability and longevity. I'm usually rough on clothes because I work hard and play hard.

Jill in Texas
    If not now, then when?

++ New Posts ++