WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Baxter State park was purchased and endowed by a private citizen.

Our National Parks were not. They really are our Parks.

Our national musuem -- The Smithsonian -- has free admission for all, and rightfully so IMHO. Ask yourself why some found that so important.

Then ask yourself why that same reasoning should not apply to other National Treasures.
    Numerous National Parks in the US have entrance fees and backcountry fees.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

I Thru Hiked the AT this year, and paid to stay at a few shelter sites. Those of us that chose to Thru hike, and those that are planning to next year are not exempt from fees that any other person or people that are using the areas that require fees. I met quite a few hikers this year that thought just because they were Thru hiking, they should not have to abide by any of the rules regarding fees. Only Day Hikers, or Section Hikers should have to pay. So i don't think it is the fact that Thru Hikers don't like paying fees in my opinion. It is more the mind set and expectation, that because they are Thru hiking, they are entitled to not have to pay.
    " Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today"-James Dean

National Parks are created to remain wild and free and our tax dollars pay for maintaining and preserving them. The Smokeys are also the most visited National Park in the country. Maybe the government should allocate more funds if needed, not impose more fees.

Quote Originally Posted by c29368 View Post
    National Parks are created to remain wild and free and our tax dollars pay for maintaining and preserving them.
    the majority of them ain't free.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Our national musuem -- The Smithsonian -- has free admission for all, and rightfully so IMHO. Ask yourself why some found that so important.

Then ask yourself why that same reasoning should not apply to other National Treasures.
    Quote Originally Posted by c29368 View Post
    National Parks are created to remain wild and free and our tax dollars pay for maintaining and preserving them. The Smokeys are also the most visited National Park in the country. Maybe the government should allocate more funds if needed, not impose more fees.
    National parks require entrance fees because they don't receive enough funding to operate without them. If you don't want to pay fees, vote for higher taxes.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AllTheWayToMordor View Post
    National parks require entrance fees because they don't receive enough funding to operate without them. If you don't want to pay fees, vote for higher taxes.
    The National Park Service's annual buget is over 2.5 Billion dollars.

My guess is that you would not want the entire cost carried by user fees. If I am right about that, why is that?

Our collective decison (as a society) to charge user fees at NationalParks and not at local libraries (for example) is rooted in our collective values more than in spreadsheet, I think.

I'd keep them free-- as a statement of what we value as a people. If ony we did.

T

Journal Entries
    Images

What about the senior pass?

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AllTheWayToMordor View Post
    Boy if this only had a LIKE button!
    I am not young enough to know everything.

If they charged a $1 per car for a couple of weeks they would make more money than a year of hikers. Millions travel through the GSMNP each year.

Images

If it is a camping fee, ought to be half price as with other NPS camping fees. Or is this an entry fee? Golden age Pass is free entry. Maybe Supreme Court Justice Roberts can tell us if this is an entry fee or a camping fee.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

Images

I sort of hate all this crap but 7 days is PLENTY of time for a thru hiker to get through the park - - most do it in 4 days - - and if it took 8 days, I doubt anyone would say anything to you.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefiepoo:1364152

If it is a camping fee, ought to be half price as with other NPS camping fees. Or is this an entry fee? Golden age Pass is free entry. Maybe Supreme Court Justice Roberts can tell us if this is an entry fee or a camping fee.
    Or an entry tax or a camping tax.

its neither a camping fee no entry fee....its a toll fee

Threads about this new fee have a tendency to go political so I will caution readers now not to go there. Thanks. This thread concerns up to date news on the new fee.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Threads about this new fee have a tendency to go political so I will caution readers now not to go there. Thanks. This thread concerns up to date news on the new fee.
    Call it what you want, It is what it is

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

any info on what happens if you don't pay and are caught? is your only proof on the trail that little paper carbon copy metal twisty tied thingamajig?

Quote Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus View Post
    any info on what happens if you don't pay and are caught? is your only proof on the trail that little paper carbon copy metal twisty tied thingamajig?
    While I haven't read anything specific about penalties for the new system, I would imagine it would be about the same as current penalties: substantial fines, being banned from the park for a period of time, and/or equipment seizure. The metal twisty is currently used at Shenandoah NP, not GSMNP. GSMNP issues a paper receipt that you are expected to carry and show upon request, and that form has a line for your reservation number. That will probably all stay the same.

From the NPS Appalachian Trail National Scenic Trail website:
    http://www.nps.gov/appa/planyourvisi...servations.htm
    Fees & Reservations

ENTRANCE FEE:
    The Appalachian Trail is free for all to enjoy. No fees, memberships, or permits are required to walk on the Trail. However, the A.T. passes through numerous state and national parks, forests and public lands, a few of which charge fees or require permits or reservations to park or to stay overnight in shelters or campsites. Below is a list of where some permits and fees are charged.

OVERNIGHT PERMITS AND FEES:
    Great Smoky Mountains National Park (Tennessee/North Carolina) - A permit must be obtained before entering the park. There is a self-registration facility at the Fontana Dam visitor center. Forms and a deposit box are also available at the "Fontana Hilton" for northbounders. Southbounders - you can get a permit at Bluff Mountain Outfitters in Hot Springs, or 1.3 miles east on Tenn. 32 from Davenport Gap at the Big Creek Ranger Station. Section-hikers (considered to be anyone not beginning and ending a hike at least 50 miles outside the park) can make reservations by calling GSMNP Reservations Office at (865) 436-1231. Anyone caught without a permit will be issued a $125 ticket!
    Shelter Policy - Park regulations require that you stay in a shelter. While other backpackers must make reservations to use backcountry shelters, thru-hikers are exempt. From Mar. 15 to June 15, four spaces at each A.T. shelter are reserved for thru-hikers. If the shelter is full, thru-hikers can tent close by. Only thru-hikers are allowed to tent next to shelters, so they are responsible for making room for those who have reservations in the shelters.

There are overnight permits & Fees for Shenandoah National Park (Virginia), Green Mountain National Forest/Green Mountain Club (Vermont) , White Mountain National Forest/Appalachian Mountain Club (New Hampshire) and Baxter State Park (Maine)

Tumbleweed

Images

I heard they were installing an automated ticket dispenser like those you see on turnpikes. There will be a gate at the other end and you insert your ticket, pay the fee and the gate will lift up. It seems to work on toll roads. Will they take EZ-pass?

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I like to visit Gatlinburg, resupply, enjoy a healthy meal at Calhouns. The seven-day rule has been in place for a long time. Adherence to it is difficult and fun-depleting for an old, slow hiker like me, so I did what I wanted to do--went to Gatlinburg. I don't like the precedent of the pay-for-walk, but enforcing the seven-day rule (which should be only a guideline) is nasty. Usually, there is a trade off. $20 exchange for longer or gone-to-Gatlinburg interruption would please me. How about a $10 fee at each of the N or S entrances and at Newfound Gap?--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++