WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Helen, GA: An Appalachian Trail Community - LakeLanier.com

Helen, GA: An Appalachian Trail Community
    LakeLanier.com
    Helen, Georgia, has been named an official Appalachian Trail Community™ by the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) — the official guardian of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail, commonly referred to as the Appalachian Trail (AT). The Appalachian ...

More...

tacky tourist trap

Good place to base out of if you bring your family though. Got a cheap condo there last Easter week, and the tourist trap stuff was not in full swing yet.

There are plenty of places to grab a beer and food, though when we were there I don't recall seeing a gear store, and I don't think it is the most economic place to re-supply- re; "tourist trap"

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post
    tacky tourist trap
    Quote Originally Posted by 4dogHiker View Post
    There are plenty of places to grab a beer and food, though when we were there I don't recall seeing a gear store, and I don't think it is the most economic place to re-supply- re; "tourist trap"
    It's not like you need a gear store in every town.

There are a few places with good rates during thru-hiker season and the grocery store is probably comparable to many other small towns without a regional chain.

Images

It's a poor man's gatlinburg. If you love tacky you will love Helen Ga. Just listen to the sound of harley's to guide you down from unicoi gap.
    You're not going to live forever
    Find this to be true
    Use your past as a guide
    While you're alive
    Live

Images

Also, you have never truly lived until you shoot the hooch in Helen Ga...LOL.
    You're not going to live forever
    Find this to be true
    Use your past as a guide
    While you're alive
    Live

Hi.

Thanks for the repost from LakeLanier.com.

I wrote the story for AppalachianTrail.com and copied it on the LakeLanier.com site, which I also manage.
    http://appalachiantrail.com/content/...on-11-30-2102/

Please let me know how I may help you promote, protect or publicize the Appalachian Trail.

Thanks.

RJ Sutherland
    [email protected]
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteBlaze View Post

Helen, GA: An Appalachian Trail Community
    LakeLanier.com
    Helen, Georgia, has been named an official Appalachian Trail Community™ by the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) — the official guardian of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail, commonly referred to as the Appalachian Trail (AT). The Appalachian ...

More...

Though Helen, GA is a tourist destination you must remember that this is seasonal. For NOBO thru hikers, when most go through the area it is a slow time of year for them so a lot of places will not be open and you will have the place to yourself almost. Bettys Grocery is a neat store which I have found that resupply from them is interesting as you can pick up specialty foods almost non existent in other grocery stores. If you enjoy German food their will be a lot of choices (burgers abound too) as well as the beer. If you keep in mind that without all the tourist German glitz that this poor town would be just that...a poor small town with little job opportunities.

Thru's have a choice of Hiawassee or Helen.

Easy decision for me.

Yes its touristy, but thats what it's intended to do. Betty's grocery is AMAZING, Haaus House brats are some of the best ive had, and Paul's steak house is pretty great too.

And it's a serious beer drinking town, so talk smack about it if you want....but ill have me a pitcher and a brat thanks

talking smack indeed. thats what its intended to do? gee, i must have missed that admiring the bavarian architectural facade. i know what helen is, i'm from ellijay, enjoy your beer and brats, i'll be in hiawassee drinking a sweetwater and eating bar b cue.

so let me rephrase.

FAKE tacky tourist trap. and let me also include gatlinburg and pigeon forge to that list as well.

Journal Entries
    Images

I loved stopping in Helen when I hiked thru last January!!! What's not to love about a sleepy Swiss Chalet Village all lit up in Brilliant lights!! The Motel 8 had a heated pool & there are some cool places to grab grub & a few cold ones!! I DID NOT see an Outfitter. I hit it in the off season but I'd probably hit it in the on season! Thats how I hike! I love these little towns, I'm out there to enjoy the forest as well as these mountain towns! SO HYOH. I often hitch into town for a few hours if it sounds like a cool town or ot's foul weather. The next day I hitch out of Helen on a Sunday @ 7:30am (the absolute worst time to hitch) but I hit the trail & hiked all the wayto Hiawassee in the rain & I wasn't planning on stopping there but it was getting dark as I crossed the road at the parking lot was a yuppie middle aged couple so I asked them if they were headed into Hiawassee & tey were but snubbed this drenched rat. So in spite of them I stuck my thumb out with no plans of standing there very long, 30 seconds later the 1st car going in the opposite direction "turned around" & took me into Hiawassee to Mulls Motel. I LOVED the look on the yuppie couples face when this stinky drenched hiker was greeted by the kindness of this wonderful strnger!!! Gotta Love & patronize these small towns!! the next morning the owner of a febulous little diner left his place of business to his staff to chat & take me back to the trail!!!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

++ New Posts ++