WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Tdoczi,

Time to give it a rest. You made your point. Let others discuss the record attempt now..not your opinion of it.

thanks in advance!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Buried in all this is a nugget of sound advice for the OP from many responders: consider changing your start date to May or do a SOBO starting late June/early July.

Journal Entries
    Images

I like the guys who set their own standards without regard to what others think "the rules" are. One that comes to mind is the individual who holds the record for hiking the AT the most times-- Warren Doyle. Though the ATC and most others would not consider it important to ford the Kennebec rather than taking a canoe, he would not consider a hike complete if he were paddled across. He makes set his own standard and lived by it.

To greater or lesser degree we all establish our on contracts on the trail and in life. That's the way it should be, even for those setting new hiking records, I think.

I saw Ward hiking that year. '91 I believe it was.
    I was in the whites and had hiked until dusk.
    I was setting up camp and he walked by and said hi to my hiking friend whom he knew.
    He was walking into the dark with no shelters anywhere near for the next 5 miles or so.

He looked very normal.
    Dressed very nicely and looked clean (for a thru-hiker)
    I would not have known it was him because I expected a different appearance after all the talk about him being a bit crazy.

He was quite and amazing hiker.
    Stories said he mostly ate while he walked without taking off his pack.
    His problems usually occurred when he tried to socialize.

Once he walked up to another friend of mine (a complete stranger to him) and said: "You look like the kind of hiker who leaves the aluminum foil in the firepit" My friend was an easy going guy so just laughed it off, but saying things like this was what got him in trouble.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Once he walked up to another friend of mine (a complete stranger to him) and said: "You look like the kind of hiker who leaves the aluminum foil in the firepit" My friend was an easy going guy so just laughed it off, but saying things like this was what got him in trouble.
    Ward walked into a shelter I was having lunch at, looked at me and another hiker who was there and commented - "You can't be thru-hikers - your gear isn't dirty enough" and left. Had me scratching my head wondering what that was all about...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

It's been about four months and am just putting the finishing touches on my prep for an early April start. I did read through all the replies and appreciate the feedback, and as much as I would like to start later, I have other commitments this summer. New updates-I did manage to persuade a friend to join the attempt. We will start together and both have the same resupply schedule with the hopes of finishing together. Again, I will follow the standard of the Williamson/Bradley self supported PCT hike and not use any motorized assistance. My resupply schedule only adds a mile or so of extra walking, so a car wouldn't do me much good anyhow. In terms of documenting this attempt, I will record voice memos from my phone to save time and will transcribe them upon completion (like Tuna Helper of the PCT). I will occasionally have family and friends update my progress on a trail journal, but not in real time. I also am willing to keep in touch with someone as a 3rd party along the trail for further consistency. I am pretty excited for this challenge to begin. Josh

Quote Originally Posted by joshgarrison View Post
    It's been about four months and am just putting the finishing touches on my prep for an early April start. I did read through all the replies and appreciate the feedback, and as much as I would like to start later, I have other commitments this summer. New updates-I did manage to persuade a friend to join the attempt. We will start together and both have the same resupply schedule with the hopes of finishing together. Again, I will follow the standard of the Williamson/Bradley self supported PCT hike and not use any motorized assistance. My resupply schedule only adds a mile or so of extra walking, so a car wouldn't do me much good anyhow. In terms of documenting this attempt, I will record voice memos from my phone to save time and will transcribe them upon completion (like Tuna Helper of the PCT). I will occasionally have family and friends update my progress on a trail journal, but not in real time. I also am willing to keep in touch with someone as a 3rd party along the trail for further consistency. I am pretty excited for this challenge to begin. Josh
    Excited for you. Have at it, and have fun!

Go for it, enjoy your hike and your summer wherever it leads. I've done a small portion of the JMT in California and seen a little bit of Oregon, you are in for an amazing hike if those little pieces are any indication.

you got a better chance at the record goin' SOBO

Images

A couple of suggestions on documenting. First, let other know your story, they will write about it in their journal. I was able to find out about Swami's Calendar year Triple crown from other hikers journal entries talking about a crazy Australian hiker. Another option is to pass out card having folks put entries into a journal guest book documenting location and time. I saw this done for JMT speed attempts.

I would look to do this rather than just rely on Tuna Helpers approach. I know there was talk of him having a bit of help in a support operation along the way. Much of this could have been caused by the virtual blackout of his hike. I would be more than willing to update your progress here or any other site if that is help. PM me and we can make easy arrangements. Also, I am located in PA a few miles from the trail. I have been known to bring a few hikers ice cream out on the trail in middle of nowhere. Or may a few Hershey bars.

Have a great hike, I have done much of the trail at the pace you're planning though only a hundred miles or so at a shot. It is very doable with the right preparation and a bit of luck.

JOSH, glad to hear it s coming together for you. I look forward to reading or hearing about your hike. Have a blast man. Good luck and godspeed.

Quote Originally Posted by joshgarrison View Post
    Cool, look forward to hearing about your progress. Have a great hike Josh, the waiting is always the hardest part, well one of the hardest parts anyway.

Well good luck. Maine has gotten a LOT of snow with high water density this winter and it has barely started to melt. It's gonna be a close call as to whether you get up here before the trails start to dry out or not. We have the makings of an epic mud season this year and if you stay on pace, it will be a close call as to how bad it is. Watch out for Vermont! Vermont mud has been known to suck a boot right off the foot!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    i suppose 2 years without a proclamation like this would have been asking too much.

isnt the truck thats going to carry your mailbox to the post office you pick it up at a motorized vehicle that will be assisting you?
    BEST OF LUCK JOSH, Ignore tdoczi, he is just pissed he lives in Jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBASTARD View Post
    now that's funny

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBASTARD View Post
    Hi Roadside

Quote Originally Posted by slow mind View Post
    Hi Roadside
    Now that, is funny

Quote Originally Posted by One Sock View Post
    Now that, is funny
    Everybody's funny

Ignore the naysayers

Brewmaster, Pizza Chef
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by One Sock View Post
    Everybody's funny