WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Need help on sleeping options

Ok me and a friend are planning a thru-hike for 2014 of the trail, and are planning on getting all gear by this summer and doing a week or 2 gear check first. Now I know lots of people just pitch tarps cause obviously weight is a huge issure but can I get away with taking an actual tent/bug net? One of my main concerns is ticks being a problem with certain desieses and some area's have poiseness snakes in the area. It's just one of those things where i'd be able to sleep easier if i knew a snake could wiggle through the corner of my tarp and pose a problem. Can I get some input/opinions on this since i'm currently a noob to planning a trip of this magnitude. Right now I'm looking a REI bug hut 2 person hut weight 2lbs 14 oz (most likely the 2 of us would switch off carrying it). If i'm posting this is the wrong section i'll move it as well since i wasnt sure where this should really go

Found the sleeping section if someone could tell me how to remove this would be appreciated

Your post is fine here. First off, I would suggest you and your buddy both carrying your own shelter (whether its a tarp, tent, or hammock). Chances are you will not (want to) stay together every night of a thru hike. Look at some of the 1 person tents that REI has to offer - the REI Quarter Dome, the MSR Hubba, Big Agnes Fly Creek, etc. Then take a look at some of the single wall options such as Tarptents, Six Moon Designs, Lightheart Gear, etc. to see if something like that appeals to you. I've never used a hammock on the trail myself, but some people try that and never go back to sleeping on the ground. A little research will go along way towards finding the right option for you and your buddy.

Yea most likely wi'll end up gettin a 1 person tent of some kind. Been looking at rei and like light heart. Hammocks seem nicer but more of an inconvenience to set up. And I'm looking for a super light option that won't break the bank. Some of the rei cheap 1 person tents weigh a little over 4 pounds and idk if there are lighter options in g the same price range or not

Nothing against tents - I have enjoyed my Lightheart, and recommend it as a great piece of gear.

Hammocks are no trouble once you get the hang of it. The advantages: you can set up pretty much anyplace - on a slope; where it's rocky; where the roots are; where the ground is wet. Ticks and snakes? Not as big a deal.

Plus, you can sit up in a hammock to take a load off. But most of all, once you're dialed in, a hammock provides comfort and promotes good sleep - much more so than on the ground.

Thats what i'm saying, Maybe camping hammocks are somehow different that a normal one (I litterally have no clue cause i have never seen one set up or w/e only in picture shopping online) but dont you need 2 trees? thats what i was refering to when i said inconvenient

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Oddin View Post
    Thats what i'm saying, Maybe camping hammocks are somehow different that a normal one (I litterally have no clue cause i have never seen one set up or w/e only in picture shopping online) but dont you need 2 trees? thats what i was refering to when i said inconvenient
    Hammocks are FAR more convenient than tents on the AT. Sure, there are hikes where there are no trees (Scotland, deserts, above tree lines, etc.), but on the AT hammocks can be set up all over the place; finding sites for tents is much more difficult.

Advantages:

Cost -- tent
    Comfort -- hammock
    Better in rain -- hammock
    Safer from ticks -- hammock
    Weight (using the gear I would use) -- tent
    Ease of finding appropriate sites -- hammock

Personal preference -- hammock

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post

Hammocks are no trouble once you get the hang of it.
    Pun your own Pun.

Oddin,

Check out hammockforums.net for all kinds of helpful hints (HF is an offshoot of WB - very open and user friendly). Just ask, and likely there are members in your neck of the woods who will show you their set-ups. Even better, attend a group hang for fun and information overload - you won't regret it.

Hammocks you've seen in magazines probably are not what would be used on the trail.

Journal Entries

You can get a tent with full bug netting as low as 12 oz wt.
    If you will use trekking poles, the SMD skyscape scout is only 34oz, and only $125 I think. Best lightwt deal out there.

Images

You can get full rain/ bug protection for two people for under 14 ounces, check out Zpacks.

Also unless your friend is of the oppisite sex I would NOT want to share a tent with them for the length of a thru, just me.

CF97 > Everything Else.

I used a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 on my thru this year. It comes in at 2lb 3oz. The the door is not as convenient as it is on the Hubba (side entry) but it is lighter. If I were to do it again I would looking into a single wall tents, that pitch with a trekking pole(s), from Six Moon or Mountain Laurel. You'll more than liking spend a lot of time in the shelters.
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

Images

I can't sleep on hammocks. They move too much for me. I can't sleep on water beds for the same reason. It's something to think about before laying out money for a hammock system.

It certainly does have a nice advantage when setting up in the rain. I wish I could use one for bike touring.

Quote Originally Posted by bubonicplay View Post
    You can get full rain/ bug protection for two people for under 14 ounces, check out Zpacks.
    I do love my netted Hexamid. I find it ideal for hiking around here most of the year.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

If you have an REI store near you than maybe think about renting a tent for your first trip. It's a great way to try different tents and gives you more time to research before deciding on what to buy. Of course they only rent the tents they sell and they don't sell the light weight single wall type tents.

I would recommend a single wall tent from Six Moon Designs, Tarptent or Light Heart. My SMD Lunar Solo weighs 23 oz and has plenty of room. I slept in it every night on my thru except in the Smokeys. Those you have to buy directly from the maker.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Have you considered sleeping in hollow logs? You could even forget the water filter and drink muddy water.
    Abbrikka Cadabrikka

Images

Another vote for a hammock here. I used one for the first time on this years section hike and definitely found it more comfortable and drier than my one person tent. As others noted, finding a spot with two suitable tress to hang from won't be a problem and I stayed dry through two nights with heavy thunderstorms and on clear warm nights I just pitched the tarp high and had plenty of air flow. Other pluses are being able to get in and out easily and being able to store gear under the hammock to keep it dry It does take a bit of practice to get the hang just right. It'd be great if you could find one to try out between now and the start of your hike.

Forget the water filter and just drink clean water.

The only downside for solo hikers using a hammock in the woods along the AT is the abundance of poison ivy vines in trees in certain areas. Know how to identify and avoid it and you'll be fine if that's the way you choose to go.

If you want to camp on top of a treeless mountain you can still use hiking poles to pitch your tarp and sleep on the ground in your hammock. Bring a torso sized piece of blue foam sleeping pad for that purpose (it also makes a great sit pad and door mat for your hammock setup).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I would absolutely not buy a (expensive) hammock without trying it out for a night or two and making sure you will be able to get comfortable. I happen to love sleeping in hammocks and greatly prefer it to the ground... But that's not always the case. I've got a friend who is trying to get into hammocks and so far he just doesn't like them. Only time will tell if he can get over it or they're just not for him.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Forget the water filter and just drink clean water.
    Name one hiking/trail organization (ATC, NOLS, AMC etc) that recommends that you not treat water.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

++ New Posts ++