WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Backpacking By Train

I have to research this a little bit but have been unsuccessful. I am looking for a backpacking trip that I could travel to and from completely by train.

Journal Entries
    Images

uh cool question and somewhat impractical - Trains will get you so far, then a cab or shuttle would be needed to get to the head of the trail. I have taken the train with a fully loaded backpack to Maine - but had friends and WB's pick me up at the station and drive the remainder to the trails.

So what did you have in mind - where was this going?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

how is that backpacking if COMPLETELY by train?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Harpers Ferry station is very close to the AT. Pawling NY has the Appalachian Trail station right on the trail.

Now, Rutland VT has a train station, but the trail is a few miles out of town and a city bus will take you there there. Pittsfield MA is the same way and those buses will take you to trail towns all over western MA. White River Junction is close to Hanover and I think they have a bus too.

This is all about the AT though, I don't know about other trails. It is probably pretty limited though. Expanding out to just using scheduled transportation and no shuttles opens up lots more options.

How long of a backpacking trip? R U referring to completing an entire trail? getting to the starting TH terminus and ending at the other TH finisihing terminus? getting to the starting pt totally by train from Nville and getting back to Nville from the finsh termnus totally by train? I can think of several trails and possible scenarios that might fit your deires if I fully understood what you want.

Glacier national park, Montana ,has a Amtrak stop right across from grand hotel. The train originates in Chicago and runs to west coast. You can step off train and hike right into park. I did a five day 55 mile hike. This park has a great shuttle system. You do have to get a permit beforehand and check in when you arrive. I traveled from Boston all the way, great trip. I recommend a sleeper if you can afford it.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

I have seen a lot of backpackers on the Empire Builder who get on/off at the three stops that it makes in Glacier National Park. One of the Whiteblazers, Marta, is from Essex, MT, which is a flag stop on that route. Just looking at where Essex is located, I'm guessing there is access to a trail network within walking distance. She could tell you more probably.

Check out the California Zephyr's route through Colorado, too. You might be able to walk out of the Granby stop.

As already mentioned, Harpers Ferry is served by the Marta train from Union Station in DC, which is a major Amtrak station. The AT itself is about two blocks from the Harpers Ferry train station. So the entire AT is technically accessible exclusively by train.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

You can get to Grand Canyon NP by taking the City of New Orleans from Memphis to Chicago , the Southwest Chief from Chicago to Flagstaff and then the Arizona Shuttle will get you to GCNP .

There are three different train lines in NY/NJ that intersect the trail, with stations within 5 miles or less (e.g. Port Jervis, Harriman, Manitoba, Appalachian Trail). Manitoba and AT stops are weekend only, but there are other stops relatively close by.

You could also do Rutland, VT to White River Junction, VT on Amtrak, both of which are close to the trail.

That is it thank you so much. Perfect, is there any way that you can maybe email me some details on what trails to hike etc....?? [email protected]

I apologize I did that incorrectly. The Glacier National Park hike sounds almost too perfect to pass up. I knew about the Harpers Ferry and New York stops and will probably get to those as I section hike the A/T. Always wanted to get more into the northeast as well will check these out. Is there any way that you can email more info about the glacier national park hike? [email protected]

You can also get to Yosemite via AMTRAK on the San Joaquin route which connects to a bus in Merced. With sufficient planning re permits, reservations etc., you could do a 1-2 week circuit or more in the Sierra out of Yosemite Valley.

It's a European thing.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Justinla45 View Post
    I apologize I did that incorrectly. The Glacier National Park hike sounds almost too perfect to pass up. I knew about the Harpers Ferry and New York stops and will probably get to those as I section hike the A/T. Always wanted to get more into the northeast as well will check these out. Is there any way that you can email more info about the glacier national park hike? [email protected]
    You've gotta do some research yourself. I don't know anything else about Glacier, I've only passed through on the train. Find the Whiteblaze user Marta and PM her for some local expertise.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

I spent a week in the Weminuche Wilderness in southern CO last year, a steam locomotive picked us up in the middle of no where, it was the only way for us to get out without walking a lot more than planned. It was a neat ride back to Silverton, which was also a neat little town. I don't know if you can catch a train to Silverton but it would be a great trip if you can, beautiful country, most remote section of the lower 48 according to Backpacker Magazine.

The Glacier NP web site gives full information on hiking and transportation in the park. Fabulous area to hike. You might want to avoid frolicking with the bears.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

There are more train connections right up to or on major well known or Nat Scen Trails. U didn't get them all

There are many different trails in Glacier. All are worth hiking, as it's a very beautiful park. Many are accessible via Park shuttle transportation, which is pricey but worth the cost. If you come in by train, you'll probably have to start your hike the next day, as Amtrak is notoriously irregular. There are hostels in East Glacier and campgrounds near West Glacier. The CDT runs through East Glacier, so you could just hike the 97 or 107 miles through the park with a shuttle to or from the north end. Or you can hike out of town and create your own hike of however many miles you want. Backcountry reservations are required and can be hard to get during prime season (July and August) but if you're flexible you can usually get something.

Plenty of great options. See a thread I started about a year ago for some I have found (I have done many of these either before or since)

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...NYC&highlight=

Link to Metro North (NY/NJ Train Map):

http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm

My post above was only related to the AT, but there are other trails that can be hiked in the area. Note Manitoba station listed above is actually Manitou.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++