WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Wal-Mart and other stores sells those big tins of flavored popcorn. Eat the treat then use the can.
    Some booze come in tins as well in the 6-8 inch diameter range and the cookie tins are about 1/4th the height of the popcorn tins.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    A McDonalds McFlurry gets you an excellent strong stiff long spoon that is sort of pointed near the end allowing it to go down into the bottom of Mountain House and Coleman and other food-in-a-bag type dinners.
    I cut little teeth in the end of the McFlurry spoon...I call it the McSpork!

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Isn't the McFlurry spoon the one with the square hollow handle? Tried it once and had sauce pour down the inside and all over my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    Isn't the McFlurry spoon the one with the square hollow handle? Tried it once and had sauce pour down the inside and all over my hand.
    I made a small hole on the back of the McFlurry spoon, down near the bottom, to allow any liquid that got into the spoon handle to drain out.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I always grab extra sporks at Taco Bell. They generally last around 500 miles or so and replacements are easily obtained.
    Gladware bowls with lids. Doubles as a storage container that mice can't get into quickly. The lid can be used as a plate. upside down, the groove for the bowl rim catches liquids.
    Hardware cloth - makes a great pot stand and, if it's big enough, when stretched over a couple rocks can make a grill (for all your trail grilling needs)
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

:banana McSpork...

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    I cut little teeth in the end of the McFlurry spoon...I call it the McSpork!
    Below are images of the McFlurry spoon, a modified spoon that I call the McSpork, and where to put an additional hole (highlighted in black) to allow any liquid to drain out of the spoon handle. I made the teeth in the spoon with a small pair of scissors. To get the spoon, buy a McFlurry, consume it and save the spoon!
    Attached Images Attached Images

McHole? ROFLMAO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    McHole? ROFLMAO.
    McBeen McGoing McTo McDonald's McToo McMuch Mc!
    Last edited by atraildreamer; 03-16-2013 at 13:28.

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    Below are images of the McFlurry spoon, a modified spoon that I call the McSpork, and where to put an additional hole (highlighted in black) to allow any liquid to drain out of the spoon handle. I made the teeth in the spoon with a small pair of scissors. To get the spoon, buy a McFlurry, consume it and save the spoon!

Thanks for the idea, I just made a McSpork too!

PS: the "McSpork" is really easy to make the plastic is soft enough to cut with the tiny swiss army knife classic knife (used to be called the Officers Knife).

I cut 5 tines in it, its sharp enough to pick up pieces of string cheese even (I ate with it tonight).

it weighs 4 grams.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordpen View Post
    PS: the "McSpork" is really easy to make the plastic is soft enough to cut with the tiny swiss army knife classic knife (used to be called the Officers Knife).

I cut 5 tines in it, its sharp enough to pick up pieces of string cheese even (I ate with it tonight).

it weighs 4 grams.
    Real hot water doesn't seem to affect the plastic. I haven't melted one, yet.

Hey come on Dreamer, this is Whiteblaze!
    You drilled the hole to lighten the spork, right?

I use the lid to my pot as a frying pan to make grilled cheese sandwiches.

Quote Originally Posted by etboy View Post
    Hey come on Dreamer, this is Whiteblaze!
    You drilled the hole to lighten the spork, right?
    The McSpork weighs 4 grams. How many holes would I need to drill to get the weight down to 2 grams? Got to get the McDrill out and start experimenting!
    Last edited by atraildreamer; 03-18-2013 at 10:50.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Why stop there when you could route out the handle and drill holes in the business end of the spoon. It would drain out liquids while you ate the solids and then you could drink the liquids from your cup/bowl. Bet you could get that weight down to less than 1 gram.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Images

The little microwaveable single serving soup bowls are thick hard plastic and come with a plastic lid. Makes a good cup for coffee or bowl and will nest perfectly inside the titan kettle. I put a little shamwow, a mini bic, wind screen, ground shield, and my cat can stove inside the soup bowl inside the titan kettle.

Default A fast food kitchen callenge...

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    The little microwaveable single serving soup bowls are thick hard plastic and come with a plastic lid. Makes a good cup for coffee or bowl and will nest perfectly inside the titan kettle. I put a little shamwow, a mini bic, wind screen, ground shield, and my cat can stove inside the soup bowl inside the titan kettle.
    These work, too! But have it your way! Available at Burger King.

Just as a fun thing to do, what other fast food items can you think of that can be adapted for use in a backpackers kitchen?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Along this line, I found out that a metal 1# coffee can (if you can find one) that has a metallic mylar freshness seal can be used to foil mice by (once empty) cutting the bottom off of another coffee can, placing it over the top (where the freshness seal used to be) and snapping the plastic lid on can make a mouse-proof food container (for a short trip). No need for tape, though the rodents will chew away at the plastic top until you need to eventually replace it.

Note: I failed to read the #7 post above. I, personally, have not seen a metal coffee can for a couple of years. Chances are that only the more expensive brands (and whole bean coffee) are still packed that way.
    dollar store still sells coffee in metal cans
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

Images

I carry my water in Gatoraide bottles that are round.
    I carry stove fuel in rectangular, or odd shaped, mouthwash bottles.
    That way I can tell the difference, by the shape, even in the dark.

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

That's a really freaking great idea.
    -Jason

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++