WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Section hiker newbie

Greetings all.

I hope I am putting this in the right are, please move/remove if not.

I've been trolling around looking at the wealth of info on this site for the past few weeks.

I'm a newbie who will be attempting to section hike a little for some of the summer. I live in Central PA and am currently thinking of starting near Boiling Springs, PA and heading south. My start date is around June 1st and plan to hike for about a month or so. My main agenda is a comfortable hike where I can enjoy as many sunrises and sunsets as possible. I have no destination in mind and don't plan to hike too many miles a day (10?). I'm a big guy with some bad knees and am searching for advise.

Is Boiling Springs a good place to start heading south?

Is there a better place for a newbie to start near central PA?

I'd like to start near my home and am hoping my wife and boys will join me for a week at the end of June. Any recommendations on a place for them to join me for a week along the trail? They are all in great shape and we all would be in our hammocks. I'd like to arrange my start location to coincide with them joining me if possible.

Thanx tons for any advice!
    TRU ...

boiling springs is a fine place to start. have them meet you at the beginning of Shenandoah national park

Thanx for the advice! I'll check it out!

TRU ...

Images

Good luck............I started my section hike years ago from Boiling Springs, headed North = Rocky

South is tons easier.........no rocks. I think that it is about 100 miles to Harper's Ferry.

PA in the summer can be rough water-supply wise.

I don't know the extent of your knee problems but I used to wear a knee brace when I hiked and I still managed to wrench my knee really bad in Maine on a section hike. To rehab I started riding an exercise bike and now my knees are stronger than ever (no more braces). When I started section hiking a 15 mile day was a killer and now 20 mile days are no problem. If riding a bike is an option for you there is plenty of time to start out slow and build up your strength and endurance.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

The terrain south of Boiling Springs down through SNP is moderate to easy with the occasional significant climb but nothing so significant that you can't just take your time and have a perfectly enjoyable walk up the mountain. I concur with others that having your family meet you in SNP would be a great idea and about at the right time given your intended daily mileage goal. If you go slower and wind up in Harpers Ferry near the end of June that would also be a great place to have your family meet you. Maryland is largely flat as is the West Virginia portion though you will encounter the infamous "rollercoaster" just south of the WV portion. It's not that bad and you can split your days up between Blackburn Trail Center, Bear's Den Hostel and one of the shelters in the middle for 3 lovely shorter days. Shenandoah NP has more climbs and they are bigger but the trail is extremely well cared for in the park and you may find some of those bigger climbs easier than smaller climbs elsewhere. Enjoy your hike!
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Images

It's about 285 miles from Duncannon PA to Rockfish Gap, the southern entrance to Shenandoah NP which seems to fit your daily pace for a month long hike. Shelters are pretty well spaced along this route and even though it's a long way between Darlington Shelter north of Boiling Springs to the Alex Kennedy shelter 14 of the miles are flat and very easy hiking. The hiking through PA and MD is generally pretty easy with some climbs but a fair amount of ridge walking.

Welcome TRU and have a good hike. One word of non-hiking advice. I think you been "lurking" not "trolling" here. We love to hear from the former (not the latter).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

Thank for the advice and feedback! And yes, I've been lurking!

My knees- just saw my Ortho. Surgeon last week and upon looking at my x-rays, he agains stated, "man, your knees look like s__t..... But you are too young to get knee replacements." I'm 43. Many years of abuse in sports, being overweight, meniscus tears, and knee surgeries have taken their toll. Genetics may play a part too- my sister had her hip replaced at age 45. Anyway, I'm carrying on and getting a second opinion later this month.

I appreciate the info about the trail south of Boiling Springs. I plan to get the 2013 AT SOBO Guide when it comes out.

I'm really excited about having my family join me mid to late June! My two boys are excited-more excited than my wife who likes the idea of the family being together, but unsure of the whole idea of only having 2-3 outfits! I want this to be a good experience for her! The better the experience, the longer we can be on the trail!

I'll actually be adding to the madness a little by visiting some friends before i hit the AT. I'll be hiking with a friend a little in Colorado near Pikes Peak mid-May. Then, I'll fly to California and hiking in Yosemite for a week with another friend. Then home for a few days before hitting the AT, late May/beginning of June.

Again, thanx for all the nuggets of gold (info) that you've been giving me!

TRU ...

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Thank YOU for asking!
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

As someone who has sectioned just a very little more (like 50 miles) than FarmerChef, I concur with your starting location. But if your intent is to finish the whole trail, because you have the time, I suggest you do short training or last minute hikes near home now, and spend June further away from home. In June, one option is to start considerably south of the Smokies, and hike north, finishing near Davenport Gap, then heading to SNP to hike with your family. Between Deep Gap, NC and Davenport Gap, the trails are generally smooth, and with a few very notable exceptions (Albert, Jacobs Ladder, Shuckstack), well graded. There are plenty of people to help you out before you hit the Smokies, with roads being less than a short day's hike apart, except for Standing Indian area (but there are good bailouts) and Cheoah Bald (12 mi, but mostly uphill).

I have many other reasons for this suggestion, but want to see others' input first.

Hope you have a great hike.

Images

On a side note re: pain, after every hike something different seems to get banged up............knees, back, etc. As long as I feel OK I go.......and deal with it as I hike. Ibuprofen (Vitamin I) works wonders, 800mg in the am and 800mg after dinner.

Default Vitamin I

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
    On a side note re: pain, after every hike something different seems to get banged up............knees, back, etc. As long as I feel OK I go.......and deal with it as I hike. Ibuprofen (Vitamin I) works wonders, 800mg in the am and 800mg after dinner.
    Probably more than a side note for a 40+ section hiker. Vitamin I is your friend, although I use a much lower dosage. On my 20 mile section hike last weekend (Daleville to Catawba) 1 200 mg dose at 9 miles, and a second at 15 miles. None on my 14 mile section the day before (Black Horse Gap to Daleville starting at 10 AM), but feet definitely hurt from the downhill/rocks. Use it when you need it, it does wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by OldFeet View Post
    It's about 285 miles from Duncannon PA to Rockfish Gap, the southern entrance to Shenandoah NP which seems to fit your daily pace for a month long hike. Shelters are pretty well spaced along this route and even though it's a long way between Darlington Shelter north of Boiling Springs to the Alex Kennedy shelter 14 of the miles are flat and very easy hiking. The hiking through PA and MD is generally pretty easy with some climbs but a fair amount of ridge walking.
    Agreed! Your family would LOVE SNP! (and so will you!)

Quote Originally Posted by TRU View Post
    Thank for the advice and feedback! And yes, I've been lurking!

My knees- ..... Many years of abuse in sports, being overweight,...

TRU ...
    FYI: When I lost 27 pounds it was like I became an ultra-light hiker as far as climbing the mountains goes....

From my experience with family and friends:
    Bad Knees people - hate going down hill
    Over weight people - hate going uphill

Both - Oh S#!)
    Between now and summer, get out and walk, cut down on calories, do whatever it takes to drop a few pounds. Your body (especially knees) will LOVE you!

Good luck!

Images

If your family will be joining you in Shenandoah that might help with your wife's concern over having "just 2-3 outfits" since you should be able to find spots where she can do laundry along the way. Once you get about 35 miles into the park there are a series of campgrounds, Big Meadow, Lewis Mountain, and Loft Mountain plus two lodging areas at Skyland and Big Meadows.

Since you're planning a pretty reasonable pace this should leave plenty of time to take breaks and I've found taking a 10 minutes break every hour plus a 45-60 minute lunch break, plus some Ibuprofen at day's end, has done wonders in terms of minimizing leg and joint pains.

I appreciate the feedback and advice!

I've been losing weight for a bit and every 10 lbs. does seem to make a big difference!! My elliptical and walking workouts at the gym are helping and I'm trying to get out hiking a little on the weekends. I know the more time I spend outside actually hiking, the better things will be!! I see another knee Doc. next Wednesday for a 2nd opinion on my knees.

I appreciate the thoughts and insights into the plan I typed up. I don't currently have any intentions of hiking the whole trail, but I like the thought of starting somewhere else too. I especially appreciate everyone's insight since I don't know the AT at all and am able to lean on your expertise. When I mentioned the potential of me starting further south to my wife, her eyes got as big as saucers. For some reason, it seemed "easier" and "safer" to her to have me to start closer to home. We'll see how things progress from her angle.

thanx again for your thoughts on my upcoming journey!

TRU ...

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q:1368758
    . All that Vit I is a recipe for ulcers. If you have to take that much, some thing is not right with your hike, the weight you are carrying, not drinking enough. Simple Tylenol works also.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Long term section hiker Stalking Tortoise's Avatar

Howdy from a fellow Central PA section hiker!

You could also start at Wertzville Road (Route 944) and do the Cumberland Valley south to Boiling Springs as a warm-up. I'd be up for a day hike if you want some company.
    Completed Sections: Springer to Clingmans Dome, & Max Patch to Gorham NH

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++