WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blackett View Post
    Thanks, all. Would you recommend bringing snowshoes?
    Absolutely not. If snowshoes are needed it is unlikely you will be on the trail in conditions needing snowshoes Said another way, if you have to ask that question then you SHOULDN'T be out on trail in those conditions.

I used micro spikes extensively on the PCT in 2011. They are great in the morning when the snowpack was rock hard, little if any help on ice and horrid in fresh snow. Why did I wear them in fresh snow, there was up to a foot of fresh snow on top of a rock hard consolidated snow pack and it was helpful with grip. But the fresh snow packed under the straps and I had no feeling in my toes for the remainder of the hike.

I used to do a lot of winter hiking on the AT from Ga up to and including the Smokies. If it were me starting early season I would take trekking poles for sure, micro spikes only if there was an old snowpack and be prepared to hole up on or trail to avoid major fresh snow.

I've had good experiences with my Micro Spikes on hard packed snow and on ice on both the AT and the CDT. Helps get a grip when there's little else to rely on! Of course, my trekking poles are even more important to me. As for the wet feet...mine seem to get and stay wet in those snowy conditions whether wearing the Micro Spikes or not, but the Micro Spikes do make my feet feel even colder because they are very snug.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Mid March, in the single digits near Franklin TN. After that, early April near Roan Mtn, low teens. Both night temps.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Your post remnds me of a trip I did back in January 2009 when I was on Hangover Mt at 5,000 feet at -10 below (see pic) and I got a radio report saying it was -22 on Mt LeConte.

Nice picture. Can I share on my hiker Facebook page with a credit to you?

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Mid March, in the single digits near Franklin TN. After that, early April near Roan Mtn, low teens. Both night temps.
    Was that Franklin, NC? There is a Franklin, TN but it's south of Nashville, close to the Natchez Trace.

Images

Yeah I don't know, I've never used those things. I just deal with it.
    can't never did

A couple of hikers had to be rescued this past April in the Smokies when it dropped to near zero and began snowing. As luck would have it I was safely sitting in a hotel in Gatlinburg. I stayed there two days trying to wait it out...it was still in the low twenties with snow when I returned to the trail. Be prepared.

Cat In the Hat

Quote Originally Posted by gg-man View Post
    Absolutely not. If snowshoes are needed it is unlikely you will be on the trail in conditions needing snowshoes Said another way, if you have to ask that question then you SHOULDN'T be out on trail in those conditions.

I used micro spikes extensively on the PCT in 2011. They are great in the morning when the snowpack was rock hard, little if any help on ice and horrid in fresh snow. Why did I wear them in fresh snow, there was up to a foot of fresh snow on top of a rock hard consolidated snow pack and it was helpful with grip. But the fresh snow packed under the straps and I had no feeling in my toes for the remainder of the hike.

I used to do a lot of winter hiking on the AT from Ga up to and including the Smokies. If it were me starting early season I would take trekking poles for sure, micro spikes only if there was an old snowpack and be prepared to hole up on or trail to avoid major fresh snow.
    I'm surprised about your assessment of Micro Spikes. I feel like I could literally play basketball on ice with mine.

Cat in the Hat

The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

Lots of nights in the Smokies it is below 0. On one occasion it was about -17 at Icewater Spring Shelter, down from 0 degrees and windy at Newfound Gap around lunchtime.....kinda pushing the envelope for my old 5 degree down bag. Don't underestimate Roan Mt. or Standing Indian, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Nice picture. Can I share on my hiker Facebook page with a credit to you?
    Hey Blissful---Sorry for the delay in responding as I just returned from a December trip. Sure you can use the pic.

Garlic
    Images

On my NOBO AT hike, starting in early April, I was a little surprised to hike through two blizzards in the first few weeks, with temps in the teens in the high country (over 6000'). In the Smokies and over Mt Rogers I struggled with winter conditions as severe as anything I'd ever backpacked in (I'm not including some intentional winter camps in the Rockies and Cascades). Never underestimate spring weather in the southern Appalachians, I learned. The advantage on the AT is that you can pay attention to the weather forecast and sit out such weather in a hostel if you're not prepared for it, like many do. By mid-May, the weather turned very pleasant and warm.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Quote Originally Posted by msupple View Post
    I'm surprised about your assessment of Micro Spikes. I feel like I could literally play basketball on ice with mine.
    Last winter was very icy here, with thick hard ice on some local trails. My microspikes were marginal in those conditions. Ice like that with any steepness would have been scary with the MS. So, I got some Camp Magix crampons (like the Hillsound Pro Trail crampons) and these were much better. Still, for most conditions the ms are great.

Journal Entries
    Images

A entry from my AT journal: April 18, 2001 Ice Water Spring Shelter. Tem. fell to 8 degrees last night. I froze in my 20 degree bag with all my clothing on.
    Grampie-N->2001

Thanks for the thread ... I'm continuing my SOBO from HF some time around early Feb, depending on the weather between now and then. Guess I'll plan for sustained sub-freezing hiking, and keep on eye on storms for the next 6 weeks.

It can also be really warm...just depends.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++