WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default You've been given a gift for Christmas...what is it?

Your family and friends know you're an avid lover of the Appalachian Trail, hiking and backpacking. So they've given you a gift for Christmas - one they know​ you will love. What is it?
    "If a hiker falls in the forest, and there's not a tree around to hear him, does he make a sound?" JN316

Images

HA !!!!! Like THEY know or care what I want. I'm giving MYSELF a new LightHeart gear SoLong 6 in the colors I want !!!! 2 doors, awning, oh, yeah, baby!!!
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

A giftcard to a local outfitter. Because the outdoors person in question can buy what they really want rather than receive what a person thinks they want.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

the last time somebody got me a backpacking gift it was a plastic egg carrier, 6 plastic tent stakes and a plastic hammer to pound them in, and 50' of yellow 1/4 inch rope.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Peace on Earth

...Hhhmmm ... Peace begins at home ...

PEACE ON WHITEBLAZE
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

We've gone to publishing Christmas lists in our family. Much easier than having someone "guess" which 10lb sleeping bag would be just "perfect" for your hike.

Last year, Santa (in the form of my sister), got me lightweight Smartwool top and bottom plus a midweight Smartwool top. Mmmm toasty.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Images

I received one of those yellow plastic egg containers too and thought the person just didn't have a clue but appreciated the thought. I gave it to someone who car camps. I'm with Mags, a gift certificate to an EMS, REI whatever is best.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

I accidentally leave a note of what I'm looking for with the model number and where to get it! If they won't see the note then I accidentally email it to them. Otherwise I would get what Karl got.

A nice, but small camera. . . .
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    the last time somebody got me a backpacking gift it was a plastic egg carrier, 6 plastic tent stakes and a plastic hammer to pound them in, and 50' of yellow 1/4 inch rope.
    Karl,
    How come I missed seeing you at the family reunion? I got the same stuff so We must be related

They all know now not to get me gear. So they get me books that I've already read.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

For christmas two years ago i received AND WAS GRATEFUL FOR (DONT GET ME WRONG) a synthetic EMS Boreal 20 degree bag that was OVER 3 lb. by itself and packed down to about the size of an asteroid. and 'hiking' shaving cream. now i do all my shopping and say thanks when its handed to me!
    Gradual Change You Can Believe in.

Live deliberately.

Images

My niece, who'll be 10 in February, knows I like backpacking. Over the last couple years with her money that she has earned from her grades she has gone to Walmart and bought me things that she just knows I need. I have received camping matches, and a nice safety orange match safe. A combination safety whistle, magnifying glass, compass, and thermometer. Even Mountain House meals. I've treasured each and everyone and happily added them to my kit.

Some have forgotten the meaning of receiving a gift.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

Easy: REI gift cards. Keep 'em coming my dear family!!

but i'd take a Hammock Gear Cuben Fiber Tarp with doors, a new ultralight pack like one from gossamer gear, six moon designs, or ULA, anddd money to go anywhere on earth to walk.
    Gradual Change You Can Believe in.

Live deliberately.

My son came home on leave from the Marine Corps and gifted me one of those plastic MRE spoons. I think it was his way of reminding me that no matter how wet or cold my hikes are, he has had it worse.

A citizens eco drive divers watch would be great

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    My niece, who'll be 10 in February, knows I like backpacking. Over the last couple years with her money that she has earned from her grades she has gone to Walmart and bought me things that she just knows I need. I have received camping matches, and a nice safety orange match safe. A combination safety whistle, magnifying glass, compass, and thermometer. Even Mountain House meals. I've treasured each and everyone and happily added them to my kit.

Some have forgotten the meaning of receiving a gift.
    Aw, that's really sweet . Sounds like a good kid, take her on a day hike somewhere and use some of the stuff she gives you.
    BTW, I don't think people have forgotten the meaning, just having a little fun with the topic.

A drug sniffing chocolate lab or Australian Border Collie puppy that I'll train to hike on the AT with and confiscate all the illegal drugs! I'll become a billionaire! Ok, maybe just a millionaire. Only kidding. Just say no!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++