WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Olive oil

Default Olive oil

Looking for suggestions for where to get !00% Olive oil packets for a reasonable price? The subway ones i'm getting are only 10% Olive oil.

JOE

Try minimus.biz, $.31/pack, a case here for ~$20, about $0.20/pack but you have to get a case. Then there is shipping. I typed olive oil packets into Google Shopping. I just use a small bottle when I carry it, little Nalgene product just a few fl oz.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    I just use a small bottle when I carry it, little Nalgene product just a few fl oz.
    Same here. Last's me about a 10 days before I need to refill.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    . I just use a small bottle when I carry it, little Nalgene product just a few fl oz.
    +2...just use a small plastic bottle.

try packit gourmet they olive oil packs, 45 cents a pack.
    see the path cut by the moon for you to walk on

Images

I use a 260 ml plastic bottle that used to hold a Welch's grape drink. It's the right size to hold all of a 250 ml bottle of olive oil found in some of the larger stores. Lasts about 5 or 6 days as I put a large dollop in all my evening meals. It adds much-needed calories and I like the flavor as well. I keep it inside a quart ziplock inside my food bag. Have done this on all three long trails. So far, no leaks. Knock wood.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    +2...just use a small plastic bottle.
    go to you local drug store ask for a cough syrup bottle. they hold 6 oz ,are light ,and have measurement markings on the side.the guy gave me 3 for free.i use them for my fuel and olive oil.get the green for oil transparent orange for fuel.works great for me.

Packets create too much trash. Go with a bottle. The clear plastic bottles that water comes in are light and tough as nails. I carried the same 8-10 oz bottle for my Parkay/squeeze margarine the whole way. Incidently, all oil have about the same caloric content. I put Parkay in just about everything I cook except coffee.

I once forgot my oil at home so I bought a bottle at a dollar store and it had a crappy lid I didn't feel comfortable with so I bought a bottle of chocolate milk and it worked perfectly. I still got it in my pack. It does save on trash, especially messy, oily trash.

Minimus.com had 1/2 oz foil packets of extra virgin olive oil. Not dirt cheap, but very light and convenient to add to dinners for a weekend trip. For a longer trip, I just take a small plastic bottle that I fill at home.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

This is what I use:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003MZFL1I/

It's never failed me, tastes pretty good.

Why not just buty a bottle of really good 100% EVO and pour it into small plastic bottles. This is what I do, and have not had any problems.

Mimimus for anytype of tiny packets. However, I recommend just going with a bottle. Occasionally, you can buy Olive Oil in a plastic bottle already, but usually its in a glass bottle so transfering to another container is usually required. For backpacking with multiple resupplies, I just buy the smallest bottle at the store in town and pour however much I want to carry into a 16oz plastic water bottle and share the rest with other hikers or throw it in a hiker's box.

I use small plastic Nalgene bottles for oil when backpacking the trail. Works great and doesn't leak.
    "In every walk with nature one receives more than he seeks." - John Muir
    My Outdoors Blog | Emergency Outdoors - Your source for outdoor, camping, survival and emergency preparedness gear

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I once forgot my oil at home so I bought a bottle at a dollar store and it had a crappy lid I didn't feel comfortable with so I bought a bottle of chocolate milk and it worked perfectly. I still got it in my pack. It does save on trash, especially messy, oily trash.

A great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by scree View Post
    This is what I use:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003MZFL1I/

It's never failed me, tastes pretty good.
    I used to get these from Outdoor Herbivore and like you say, they are very good. I like your Amazon link better.

Images

I'm horrible at transferring liquids into dropper bottles. These helped a lot, don't cost much, and are reusable.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

I do like dropper bottles. A 30cc bottle of Dr Bronners goes a long way, mostly because it doesn't pour out excessive soap like the original bottle. I'm going to tie it around my neck the next time I do laundry in a sink or bathe at a hostel. They do make bigger dropper bottles, and you'll want more than 30cc for olive oil. I get mine at US Plastics.

You can do the same thing without buying pipettes, by using a soda straw. Dip it into the liquid to transfer, put your finger over the end, put the straw into the bottle you want to fill and lift your finger. Same principle.

Images

That'd work, albeit with a little less control. I'd probably spill soap a few times with the straw before getting the bottle full. Also, I don't have any straws. I had a secondary goal of using it to oil the chains on my bike and motorcycle, and it's been great.

Images

you can make your own little packets of olive oil if you have one of the food vacuum sealing machines,- cut and seal 3 sides ( 2 long and one short side) of the packets - cut to your own size, put olive oil in to the little packet and stand it upright in a glass or cup. Put this in the freezer until the oil is frozen - well semi solid anyway, then you can vacuum seal the top of the bag. This is a LOT cheaper than buying the individual packets, but not as cheap as carrying a small bottle.

You can get those jumbo straws and fill them with oil.. anything really.. all you have to do is fold and heat one end of the straw, fill it, and then fold and seal the open end of the straw with a lighter.

++ New Posts ++