WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Standing Bear to DC options?

Might hike Hot Springs to Standing Bear next weekend, preferably leaving a car in Hot Springs.

Any suggestions on:

1) Best way via shuttles and transit to get back to Washington, DC area? Cheapest may be shuttle to Knoxville and Megabus to DC.

2) Where to park cars for about a week in Hot Springs?

3) Tips on the section?

Thanks!

Why don't you drive to Standing Bear and have Curtis shuttle you to Hot Springs. Then your car will be waiting for you when you get there.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

aka Kudzu
    Images

I'm afraid I can't speak to the DC issues. However, I did this hike (actually started at Devils Fork Gap) this year. I think you'll have a great time. I actually drove to SBF and left my truck there and hiked back to it. Might be a better option than leaving the vehicles in Hot Springs. Curtis dropped me off in the morning and it wasn't that bad of a trip.

Tips? Yeah, make sure you leave Hot Springs. Don't eat too much at Smokey Mtn Diner. Don't drink too much at Spring Creek Tavern. Other than that Max Patch is pretty cool. Hopefully you have a better day than I did. Not as pretty as I'd hoped.

Might find some info in my report about it.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Leaving a car at HS is a logistics issue, possibly setting up a 3 day hike the next weekend from Sams Gap.

As an FYI, this section is planned as a 2 day hike, but I just did Davenport to Newfound in 2 days, so it should be of similar challenge.

I have read good things about Curtis, I will probably give him a call soon.

Thanks!

I would second leaving a car with Curtis at Standing Bear and having him shuttle you to Hot Springs or wherever. The ride back to Knoxville from Standing bear is a lot shorter and if I am not mistaken, there is still a detour in effect between Newport and Hot Springs. MegaBus would probably be your best option back to DC from Knoxville. I'm from that area originally, living in Leesburg now, and have considered MegaBus as a way to get there on the cheap. Also, FYI, taking three days to do the section sounds better. A lot of ups and downs and less daylight than during summer. Also, weather can change quickly so keep an eye on your forecast, but enjoy. Years ago, I camped at the base of Max Patch during a snowstorm and was able to build a snow cave on the north side afterwards. If it's clear. Max Patch has probably one of the top 3 views on the entire trail.
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Curtis shuttled me from Asheville airport to Davenport Gap. I hiked to Hot Springs and the outfitter there shuttled me to Erwin, so I could hike back to Hot Springs and eventually be shuttled back to Asheville.

My round-trip airfare to Boston was cheaper than the shuttle fees, but without their rservice I would probably still be walking!

Quote Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
    Curtis shuttled me from Asheville airport to Davenport Gap. I hiked to Hot Springs and the outfitter there shuttled me to Erwin, so I could hike back to Hot Springs and eventually be shuttled back to Asheville.

My round-trip airfare to Boston was cheaper than the shuttle fees, but without their rservice I would probably still be walking!
    I'll probably end up driving down to this section in April or so (with more hours of daylight), using shuttles from Standing Bear to Hot Springs, and from Hot Springs to Erwin. Looks like getting to a bus/airport is a hassle. Thanks for the advice!

++ New Posts ++