WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Transport from Harpers Ferry to Rockfish Gap?

I plan to do a section of the trail this May, from Rockfish Gap to Harpers Ferry. I'll be leaving my car at Rockfish Gap and will need transport back there after finishing up at Harpers Ferry. What options do I have for transport? Is there bus service from H.F to Waynesboro? Shuttle? Any suggestions?

From Harpers Ferry, you can take either AMTRAK's Capitol Limited line or the Maryland commuter train MARC to DC. Note that all trains to DC leave HF in the morning and that MARC only runs Monday-Friday. Once in DC, you can take AMTRAK to Charlottesville which is within shuttle distance to Rockfish Gap.

More than one line serves Charlottesville - check here.
    Capitol Limited
    MARC

Thanks for the tip. But is there any more direct way from Harpers Ferry to Waynesboro, say via bus?

You could search Greyhound but I doubt there's a more direct route. There's not a lot of public transit available other than that rail route.

Checked Greyhound, and Harpers Ferry isn't on their routes. So it looks like DC and then Charlottesville. Now, anyone know of a shuttle service in Charlottesville, to get to Rockfish Gap?

You might find some college kids driving up to Humpback Rocks, but other than it's a very pretty 20 mile uphill walk on route 250. I used to live there but don't anymore, otherwise I'd give you a lift.
    Last edited by scree; 12-07-2012 at 15:48.

Well 20 miles along a nice road ain't bad.

Saluki, check out these threads for more "info". I use the quotes because I'm trying to figure out if I can take Amtrak to Staunton from nyc or dc and then get a bus to Waynesboro. It's not a simple thing to sorth this out.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...dn-t-know-this
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...harlottesville

A couple of years ago, I got a shuttle from Waynesboro to Charlottesville Amtrak from Lyle Kirby in Waynesboro. I don't have his number handy, and I don't know if he is still doing shuttles. I think you can get a list of shuttlers from the Rockfish Gap Tourish Information Center, but don't have that info handy either. Perhaps someone from the area can provide more help.

Quote Originally Posted by Saluki View Post
    .... Now, anyone know of a shuttle service in Charlottesville, to get to Rockfish Gap?
    http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs...sm-11-6-12.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Saluki View Post
    Well 20 miles along a nice road ain't bad.
    I've done it a few times myself, it's a nice walk but if you do it at night the cops will most likely stop and want to talk to you (happened every time for some reason). I guess you can try not looking like a hobo, but that's not always so simple.

Images

every time i read something like this or make a half hearted attempt to use public transportation myself i cant help but conclude its just not worth it. a shuttle from HF to rockfish gap is easily found and will probably run you about $250 tops. is that really that much more than the cost of the 2 train tickets and the shuttle from the train station to rockfish gap for it be worth the hassle? i cant imagine itd save you more than $100, and it will require you to probably spend an extra day or more futzing around with meeting schedules when you could be out hiking. not at all worth it to me.

Wow, for $250 I'd walk the whole way back.

Images

Default re: Transport from Harpers Ferry to Rockfish Gap?

Have you considered hiking south from Harper's Ferry?

If you leave your car at Rockfish Gap and get a shuttle to Charlottesville, you could Greyhound to Union Station DC and catch the afternoon commuter into Harpers Ferry. From there you walk south to your vehicle.

If you purchase your ticket 28-days early and for mid-week, you should be able to get to DC cheaply. There are several shuttlers in the Rock Fish Gap area including some folks down in Waynesboro. Might even be able to arrange to drop the night before and get couch space somewhere.
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

Images

Hitchhike? We picked up a couple of hikers and their dog who were heading back to their car in SNP from HF. They said it was an easy hitch, they did it in less than a morning.

Not advising you to do so, of course, but for hikers who are comfortable with hitching, it is a viable solution.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'd give you a ride back, but in May I'll be likely at my job, sorry. Check with Rockfish Gap Outfitters in Waynesboro for shuttle options.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

just hitch it. no one sees many hitchhikers any more bc they're all getting picked up

++ New Posts ++