WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Chris McCandless Supertramp - Animal Planet on right now New video

SuperTramp is his trail name on right now.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

into the wild , cool movie
    see the path cut by the moon for you to walk on

Images

the movie was better.watched this last night.

I'm actually reading Into the Wild right now. My favorite quote so far:

“So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.”

Rings so true.

Ever so often an idiot like Timothy Treadwell comes along. McCandless met and maybe exceeded this type of stupidity.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    Ever so often an idiot like Timothy Treadwell comes along. McCandless met and maybe exceeded this type of stupidity.
    neither idiots nor heroes, simply living the lives they wanted to live.social misfits more comfortable living (and dying) outside of "civilization".
    many of us have pushed the limit or made a poor decision that nearly cost us our lives, some just didnt make it. mccandless was not stupid. he made mistakes that cost him his life, but he was not stupid.

Default #1 idiot

#1.
    Christopher McCandless

What He Tried to Prove:
    That he didn't need the shallow comforts of modern life, damnit.
    The Method:
    Everyone, at some point in their life, has had the desire to just leave it all behind. For some people, this involves starting over in another country, for others, it involves cancelling their World of Warcraft subscription. Christopher McCandless decided, **** it, he'd just leave his family, and all of civilization, behind.
    McCandless had a strong contempt for the "empty materialism of American society," and just took off to live in the wild of Alaska, with little to no food or equipment. Just the way nature intended!
    What He Actually Proved:
    That the corrupt, capitalist society he so loathed was pretty much the only thing keeping him alive. Though the book on McCandless's life and the movie it spawned were sympathetic to the whole situation, many Alaskans believe that he was foolish to embark on such a lifestyle without the appropriate skills or equipment, such as a map or compass. Or common sense.
    Alaskan Park Ranger Peter Christian has said,
    "When you consider McCandless from my perspective, you quickly see that what he did wasn't even particularly daring, just stupid, tragic, and inconsiderate. First off, he spent very little time learning how to actually live in the wild. He arrived at the Stampede Trail without even a map of the area. If he [had] had a good map he could have walked out of his predicament [... ] Essentially, Chris McCandless committed suicide."
    Ouch. The man who set out to prove we didn't need frivolities like houses and electricity wound up being the poster child for staying indoors. Good job, Chris.

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_16760...#ixzz2EW4PhCgh

to each their own!
    see the path cut by the moon for you to walk on

Images

i agree with the rangers assessment that he committed suicide.
    not stupid.like i said no hero either. inconsiderate, absolutely, and again wanted to live and die outside of civilization.i dont believe he had any intention of ever returning.
    he made very deliberate choices and hurt just about everyone he came into contact with. and suicide is the ultimate selfish act.

You're right about that HB... suicide is the ultimate selfish act. We don't understand the issue's that drove him to that place tho. I agree that stupidity wouldn't be one of his issue's.

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

suicide...the ultimate selfish act
    ...or...
    perhaps the epitome of freedom?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus View Post
    suicide...the ultimate selfish act
    ...or...
    perhaps the epitome of freedom?
    suicide is not freedom, its death.
    no, selfish

Images

my brother in law committed suicide on july 30th,2011.on his sisters and mothers birthday.

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

hb...totally not trying to make it personal

but no one who has ever lived has asked to. and some don't want to.

Images

in most cases suicide is a very deliberate act intended to hurt.. I believe I had a death wish myself when I was young and I didn't care who I hurt while I was living my life to the fullest. sooner or later you learned that life isn't all about you it's about what you can contribute.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus View Post
    hb...totally not trying to make it personal

but no one who has ever lived has asked to. and some don't want to.
    i really do understand what you're saying, but if you really want to experience the very best that life has to offer, yoou have to look outside yourself. look we're all hikers here, we all indulge in a hobby that in itself has little to contribute to society , but i believe as well that we do come back from the woods all the better for it and i believe it makes us better contributors. hey we all come back to share our experiences right here on wb, even those like mr gault and mr monkey to claim to hate people. we come back to lecture/educate/argue because we are social animals.
    and its all good.

I read the years ago and got disappointed with the carelessness of mccandless and his overall lack of virtue. Unprepared, and rejecting materialism he settles not too far from the.road and lives in a product of materialistic Society _ a broken crappy littering bus. And stays there doing basically nothing. Miserable.

So I didn't go watch the movie when it came out in theaters. I know he is gonna die, and make mistakes that Piss me off so why would I pay money to watch it?

It is a coincidence but a while ago someone asked if I saw the movie saying it was good.

So I got it via Netflix. Watched first 20 minutes and turned it off due to lack of interest.

Im a grumpy old man I suppose.

People in survived over the ages because they lived in groups and communities.they needed to rely on each others support especially when moving into harsher environment. Living in Alaska people first needed the support of commemorated shared materials before they.acquired the knowhow to survive year round. At that point there are rare individuals who manage to survive on their own but it is so very hard to do so. The warmer months are spent with hard work every day preparing for the winter and then in the winter doing the.l best you can to survive and then the cycle repeats. It is a fun and games until you get old and can not put in the hard work to prepare for the hard Alaskan Winters. At that point you need a community and kindness of people and their materials.

It is painful to read what mccandless did.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    Let me go

Crappy autocorrect and Tapatalk doesn't allow me to edit. Commemorative = community

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    Let me go

Images

Why would you go into Alaska of all places in the winter with nothing but a bag of rice and a .22 rifle? What can you kill to eat in Alaska with that small of a rifle? A bag of rice? At least take a bag of pintos or something. Im not sure why everyone romanticizes this guy and what he did. It was irresponsible to say the least, and just plain stupid. I'm sorry the guy is dead but he could have walked out. He wasn't far from anything. He didn't seem to know anything about his surroundings, he might as well been in the desert with a quart of water. I don't get it. And, if he wanted to live off the land so bad why was he living in a bus?
    can't never did

Images

Not sure how you can call what Chris did - suicide. Unprepared? Yes. Stupid? Maybe. But suicide? Absolutely not. His intention was not to die it was to live. To call this suicide means you would have to call every death where folks are unprepared for their situation suicide and clearly it's not. "Everything needs to be called by its proper name."

I liked the movie, Eddie Vedder's soundtrack is outstanding.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++