WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water, fire, and camping for the first ~20 miles of the AT? Springer to Woody's Gap

Hey, all. Soon enough, me and some buds are going on a Friday-Sunday hiking trip on the AT. From the Springer Mountain parking lot to the Woody's Gap parking lot.

We will be arriving at Springer around 6pm or so. Our goal is to do a small bit of night hiking, and setting up camp when we decide that we've gone far enough. We'll knock the majority out Saturday, then take it easy Sunday.

To the questions:

Water. I am trying to figure out the spots that we will be able to harvest water, so we can determine how much to carry on our person at all times. I, personally, have one 24 fl. oz. water bottle, and a military issue aluminum canteen of unknown capacity. I have room for one or two more bottles, with hopes that I don't need to pack more than the two I have. How much would you carry?

Fires. I have heard that some sections of the AT do not allow fires to be made outside of current fire rings. I have not been able to verify if the section we are hiking allows fires or not. I ask because I can't guarantee that we will find a campfire ring where we will decide to camp. I agree with the low-impact state of mind, but what are the rules and regulations just in case?

Tents. Just as the fire questions, I can't guarantee that we will be able to camp at a shelter, as we aren't predetermining our mileages just yet (The answers in this thread may determine our miles/day). I have heard that you have to be so many feet off of the trail to pitch a tent. Is this true, and if so, how far?

Thank you, all!

plenty of water, fire rings and tent/campsites in the stretch you'll be walking

I always carry 2 qts of water. If you are trying to minimize this, you can get by with 1 qt with one exception. The stretch between Springer and Hawk Mtn is one of the easiest sections in GA and has plenty of water. Many people assume what lies ahead is more of the same. However, the 6 mile stretch from Hawk to Justus Creek is dry and many people find this section difficult. I would leave Hawk with 2 qts in case you decide to camp in this section.

No fire restrictions in this section.

You will see plenty of camping spots on this section. As long as you are not ON the trail you are fine.

Thank you guys. I'm going to write that down. Are the mountains and creek areas labeled so we will know what to look for?

Nothing is "labled". You need to get a trail map or a guide book or both. The only exception is trail junctions and there will be a sign telling you the name of the shelter your standing in front of. Reliable sources of water are located near the shelter. It's up to you if you want to drink out of creeks or puddles in between.

Shelters are located close together in that section and there is really no reason not to stay at them. You don't say when you plan this hike, but I assume in the near future, so it's not like there will be a zillion people around. There are some campsites in between, some with fire rings, usually located in the gaps.

Trying to find a place to put up several tents in the woods off the trail, in the dark and build a fire is not as easy as you think. Please don't even try. Especially the fire part. The woods are very dry this time of year and you run the risk of starting a forest fire if you don't do things right. Stick to established camping spots (preferably at shelter sites) and fire rings, which have all flamable matterial cleared for at least 5 feet all around.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

The Data Book or the Georgia/NC Trail Guide (an excellent resource for planning hikes) have thousands of data points. The GA/NC Guides have narrative descriptions of the trail.

Water sources that are not visible from the trail are generally reached via a blue blazed trail. Sometimes this blue blazed trail has signage, sometimes not.

Not sure if this is the guide you guys were talking about or not:

http://joomla.georgia-atclub.org/pub...ide_110310.pdf

The fires will be made responsibly, and all precautions will be taken. This isn't my first time in the woods, just the first time on the AT. I just don't want to break any rules!

This is the GA/NC book I was referring to:

https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalo...id=62&compid=1

Any outfitter should have them in stock; some libraries also have them.

Ohh okay. Thank you!

Here's what I did. Arrive near dusk at Spring er FS 42 parking lot. Hiked the 0.7 to the Springer shelter. Spend the night there, you should be able to find space for tents or just sleep in the shelter there should be room unless its March or April. Day 2 eat breakfasts,b reak camp, hike to Springer Plaque, take a picture then turn around and start north. Eat lunch on the trail, I'd reccomend Long Creek Falls just off the trail (mile 4.9, most people bypass it, don't, it's beautiful). When you get to Hawk Mtn Shelter, if you have 2 or more hours of daylight left, fill up your water and keep going to the top of Sassafras Mtn 2miles further. There's some nice tent spots up there, but no water.

I always carry one of these in my pack so I can camp away from crowded shelters if I want and still have lots of water for camp and some to start the next day.
    http://www.rei.com/product/626195/na...ntene-96-fl-oz

Thanks for the suggestion! That is something we may be interested in doing. Any other places that would be interesting to visit within our hiking area?

++ New Posts ++