WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

A fourier transform would be a hard way to get an answer to a question which is actually asked occasionally... In this context, it would be something like looking at the number of days in which the hiker hiked a certain number of miles.

One time domain view of a hike would be to look at each day's mileage a la trail journals. One frequency domain analysis would be to to tablulate how many days were 0 mile days, how many were 1 mile days, how many were 2 mile days....

However I really had to grin when I saw the topic!

It took me 6 months of my Electrical Engineering master's to conceptulise what a Fourier Transform was. Once the idea stuck, it became a reasonably handy tool for thinking.
    Walk Well,
    Risk

Author of "A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike"
    http://www.wayahpress.com

Personal hiking page: http://www.imrisk.com

There's no doubt about it: LaPlace was an arrogant arrogant guy. A giant equation for modeling the entire Universe? He said it, not me. Crazy Leibnizian philosophy: calculemus! No need for that kind of stuff on the trail (and with quantum mechanics in high gear, it couldn't be done anyway). It's more fun to analyze the hike after the fact, anyway.

Sorry to post twice here; I'll try hard not to do it again. Anyway, as long as we have guys doing Fourier Transforms, why don't we do FFTs and derive pi to many places after the decimal? I mean, imagine the untapped computing power of those brains of the (non-altered-state) thru-hikers!

Quote Originally Posted by hiker5
    The Laplace transform transforms a real-valued function into a function of a complex variable.

In engineering Laplace transforms allow you to take differential equation in the time domain and transform it into an algebraic equation in the Laplace domain. All of this is of course subject to certian conditions. The function must be linear (exhibits superposition and homogeneity).

In my field this is often done to make solving the equation much easier. Also plotting the results in the laplace domain often makes it much easier to analyze dynamic systems (vibration and control theory).
    David Krumholtz and "NUMB3RS" are looking for you!

Section Hiker ~ 125 miles adh24's Avatar
    Images

Laplace Transform Yikes. I thought I left that behind in Sophomore year of college in my systems 1 & 2 class. I think I'm going to be sick

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by adh24
    Laplace Transform Yikes. I thought I left that behind in Sophomore year of college in my systems 1 & 2 class. I think I'm going to be sick
    The philosopher Geo. Carlin once considered offering a continuing education course in what you remember from college 20 years after graduating. It would necessarily be a short course.

All I remember are Lip****z constants. Can't remember a single thing about them, but I do remember that name. Funny how the auto-censor picked that up, isn't it?

But I'll confess that I use Fourier Transforms every day.

I also have a prepared lecture which clearly demonstrate the wave / particle nature of the electromagnetic spectrum and in particular the operating principles of infrared and ultraviolet analytical detectors using juggling. You get the dough, I'll do the show.
    Last edited by Dances with Mice; 05-20-2006 at 12:09.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

So, How has "The Place" changed. I kinda' liked it like it was.

Hacksaw

uggh

just finnished my calc class in high school, and i thought i was a calc king. all those formulas, and even more ugly symbols, like the delta over the equals sine. gross.

hey guess what?

e^(i(pi))-1=0

the proof involves taylor series and pain

for some reason as i keep seeing this thread title, i keep thinking it says 'lapdance.'

My head freaking hurts just from reading this. I first thought someone was referring top "The Place". I was sadly mistaken.

I think I'll go read about crotch rot instead.
    Semper Fi and 73's,

G. L. Cooper
    K0OPG (Amateur Extra)
    Mountains of WV

Images

Quote Originally Posted by baerbelleksa
    for some reason as i keep seeing this thread title, i keep thinking it says 'lapdance.'
    Great minds think alike. Obviously these guys are too smart for me. See you at the club!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by baerbelleksa

is this a lapdance neo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by neo
    Doesn't work the same for me. BTW, Neo, good threads lately and I'm not talking about your clothes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++