WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Esbit Stove

Images

Default Esbit Stove

I'm working on a system for burning solid fuel Esbit cubes. Seems like there is an increase in interest in this type of fuel. I decided to see what I could come up with. You might be able to get some ideas from the videos that I've done in the past few days. I was able to find the right size tins on ebay. The addition of carbon felt increased it's user friendliness.

Any of you now using esbit on your adventures?

Images

Two more videos that may help a little:

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Esbit has been my fuel of choice since early 2010.. I use a Caldera Cone w/ Graham cracker stove - great setup.

Images

That smoke not only smells bad,it's highly toxic.I'd say any residue left on pots or pans is too...

I love Esbit for short hikes. Use one of those titanium tri-wing stoves, heavy foil for a windscreen, and my SP-600 ti-pot.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

What I like about it is that it doesn't spill, doesn't require a special container, and when it's gone - it's gone - and there's no trash to carry.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    What I like about it is that it doesn't spill, doesn't require a special container, and when it's gone - it's gone - and there's no trash to carry.
    +1. I have been using Esbit since 2009.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Images

"Any of you now using esbit on your adventures?"

I carry esbit as a back-up! Cool stove! Maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Images

Although it may not be the fuel of choice for trail gourmet cooks,it's one thing I've never found any trace of at a shelter.Seems like over the years I've packed out lots of butane/propane fuel canisters left behind by selfish/lazy hikers.I guess the hikers who leave these canisters must think that someone who comes behind them will find a use for them.....

i have used the fuel tabs before, too, but i wasnt a fan of the residue they leave. if they could find a way to make a tab that burns clean without the mess i'd be a convert.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    That smoke not only smells bad,it's highly toxic.I'd say any residue left on pots or pans is too...
    If that is the way you feel then don't use it, it is on par with your underarm deodorant. Don't inhale and don't swallow it. It carries that warning on the box and MSDS. Swimming in your average public pool is more toxic.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Default Esbit Stove

Also some of the alcohol people use is highly toxic, like Heet etc.

Images

Residue comes off pots easily by just rubbing pot bottom on the ground. Sit it down, twist it a couple of times, put in a stuff sack or ziplock, pack it up and go.

Esbit has been my fuel of choice since early 2010.. I use a Caldera Cone w/ Graham cracker stove - great setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    +1. I have been using Esbit since 2009.
    What have your experiences been with regards to finding/buying it? On paper, esbit seems better than alcohol, but I just worry a bit about availability and cost. On the AT, did you buy in bulk online and then maildrop all your fuel, or were you able to find it along the way?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hosaphone View Post
    What have your experiences been with regards to finding/buying it? On paper, esbit seems better than alcohol, but I just worry a bit about availability and cost. On the AT, did you buy in bulk online and then maildrop all your fuel, or were you able to find it along the way?
    I'm a section hiker so I usually carry all that I need when doing a small section. When I did the 100 mile wilderness White House Landing had both alcohol and Esbit. Last year when doing Monson, ME to Gorham I mailed some to myself in Stratton. I an't speak for any other situations. Maybe 10K will post some info as he has done a thru hike.

Images

This is one of the Esbit systems that I use. It pretty much eliminates the residue problem. The bottom of the pot is covered when not in use by the Esbit pan. I modified mine with a shorter pot and different wind screen.

http://ultralightoutfitters.com/the-...pot-stove-kit/

Images

Interesting comments, thank you for your imput.

I have found if you let the esbit burn itself out comletely there will be no residue and smell to the burner.

Esbit is not readily available here where I live in a city of many kmarts and walmarts plust many sprting good stores. I purchased 10 boxes online to have enough for my testing purposes. I'll be doing water boil tests throughout the day.

I remember southmark being an alcohol stove user back when...... why did you switch?

I'll be back later this evening with some test results.

Images

Zeph, being an experimenter I decided to test esbit out back in 2009 when I did the 100 mw. I liked it so well on that trip that I have ben using it every since. I agree with 10K, it is simple, requires less hassle. I find that it seams to burn hotter than alcohol. With the stove kit that I linked above I can snuff out the burn when my water boils and save it still in the stove for later (easier than the alcohol systems). I don't have to carry a fuel bottle and be careful of spills. I don't have to worry about measuring out the correct amount of alcohol. Bottom line is that it just works for me. I try and keep all my hiking gear and techniques as simple as I can. The less the better. When it comes to alcohol your ROF was my favorite for the same reasons. Just couldn't get much more simple and trouble free with alcohol and I have tried just about every kind.

Journal Entries

I like my esbit cooker. Less vol, less wt, and easy to use. Dont get it about using all these expensive toys when the esbit works just as well.

Images

Although having a campfire is not always possible this titanium grill only weighs about 4ounces and I've had it since 1981.I don't think any gram weanie stove can do this...003.JPG

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++