WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Wide-brim Hat

I often use an Amish made staw hat. Light weight, super wide brim and holds up rain or shine. Paid less than $20 from the Amish family making them in Gordonville PA. Stay away from the tourist hats though, not Amish made and flimsy. There real thing is a study in durability.

Might not be too hard to find near Port Tobacco MD either as there is a large Amish community in Southern MD.

Rif

Journal Entries
    Images

Hey Rif, that sounds like a good hat. Hats off to you!
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Journal Entries
    Images

Hey Gambler, I looked at the hat you recommended. Nice that it's crushable. It would be better than a straw hat. While I am talking about a SunBody.com hat please understand that these hats are not straw hats. They are made of Palm leaves and insdestructible, it seems. Other advantages: 1) Shed rain. 2) Shapable-get the hat wet (the portion you wish to shape), whle its wet you will notice it comes "hard". Shape it while it is wet to the way you want it. When it dries it is soft as a feather and will retain the shape you put it in. Really neat. Also you are helping a third world business. They are made by hand and the person who made it hat, they sign the hat on the inside on the label and its pretty neat. Very affortable, along the lines of your hat price Gamber.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)

Get a Tilley! It's a durable umbrella/wallet you can wear on your head!

Journal Entries
    Images

I need to apologize. My comments were in the context of a thru hike of the CDT wherein a hiker will be in the direct sunlight much more of the time for a longer and continuous journey. If I was hiking the AT I'd probably go with some kind of baseball cap!! ha, ha! Let's see, I know WORLDS GREATEST BASEBALL TEAM, THE T-E-X-A-S--R-A-N-G-E-R-S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For the high and mighty priviledge of wearing such an exalted hat I would gladly suffer in the rain. On the AT. Now If I was on the PCT I would have to wear a wide Brim hat for CA and then when I began to hit trees It would be a hat of the Seattle Supersonics. Or If I was really desperate i'd wear the team hat from a certain Univ/College in Texas Team wherein the team is the "Frogs"!! Ha, ha. Havin' fun, HYOH.

Images

How about this one................http://www.kavu.com/Product/176-04-/...ba-Pyrite.aspx. Its not waterproof, but light-weight. Was thinking some DWR to help with H2O repellency. Whatcha think?
    South MS Patriot

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++