WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    -

Default the AT as a "sucky trail"

this came up on another thread, but I think it is more a separate topic -

My slant to this is a "what if "

so what if this trail that is within a few hours of a 100 million people was well graded/ fully developed - had a huge maintenance budget/ crew - ample convenient parking, public transportation access/ bathroom, lodging, laundry, food services - had the sight lines open for every possible view - a nice wide natural corridor

so basically an "idealized" situation free of many common (present) complaints

what would it mean? - I think it would become somewhat a clone of the situation at other big volume park areas ie - south rim of the grand canyon - much of Shenandoah park

the usage would increase possibly tenfold
    much of which is now free would be fee based
    there would be little challenge
    any sense of "community" would be replaced by administration

personally, I prefer it as it is and think the whole package of management/ maintenance level / access decisions have been damn good to keep the AT as a more unique experience

what about the rest of you?

Images

I like it just the way it is.......
    Hiking - Where would I rather be??
    Coolness aka Coffee Pot

Journal Entries

I think what it is works pretty well today.
    But it already is not what it once was.

Cell phones, computers, gps, PLBs, have made our world much smaller and less exciting
    The numerous hiker services, free food, and generally excellent trail maintenace, guides, and signage have made it much easier also
    Its not the adventure it once was.

Images

Yep I agree with Muddywaters. If you read walking with spring and then go for a hike it has drastically changed. It's it's going to get worse I'm afraid.
    can't never did

The Appalachian Trail brought to you by Verizon.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I think what it is works pretty well today.
    But it already is not what it once was.

Cell phones, computers, gps, PLBs, have made our world much smaller and less exciting
    The numerous hiker services, free food, and generally excellent trail maintenace, guides, and signage have made it much easier also
    youre right but it doesnt have to be.go sobo. less hiker feeds, less crowds, less crap.
    ps without computers we couldnt argue/debate about this stuff, nor coud we give good/bad advice to the newbies. so are we part of the solution or part of the problem?

Journal Entries

Never said it was bad.
    Just different.
    In 50 more years, it will be more different still.

Will that be good, or bad, is the question.

I think all the trees and bushes and foilage should be manicured like Palm Beach FL.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

The only thing that annoys me is places where the trail is obviously routed to create a false wilderness experience. You know the places, like where the trail parallels a road but the trail is thrown off in the woods a hundred yards. I just wish it would be more honest about the fact that town exists.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsirocco View Post
    The only thing that annoys me is places where the trail is obviously routed to create a false wilderness experience. You know the places, like where the trail parallels a road but the trail is thrown off in the woods a hundred yards. I just wish it would be more honest about the fact that town exists.
    i dunno, the towns are marked on maps, and listed in both the at guide and the companion, as well as most of the atc guidebooks. and many of those parallel trails actually replace actual roadwalks.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

The AT is an awesome trail - I love it.

But it's not the ONLY trail. If you're looking for another, or should I say - different, experience - hike another trail.

so glad i walked the AT a few times in the days before internet, cell phones, AT videos and know-it-alls

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    so glad i walked the AT a few times in the days before internet, cell phones, AT videos and know-it-alls
    I wish I could say that. I had my chance. I'm glad I got the sections in that I did way back when. I'm gonna make the best of it the best I can.

So we should not make major improvement to the trail so as to not encourge more hikers to come out and enjoy what you have almost to yourself today? A might selfish don't you think? We should strive to improve the trail so more people will come out to enjoy it. It should be the ATC's job along with the trail clubs to do just that.

Mostly the internet version sucks. The bad parts of everything are multiplied 1000 times.

Actually only multiplied 10 times but it's the internet.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    The Vermont mud has not changed much.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    The Vermont mud has not changed much.

True! And as far as I can tell, the Long trail hasn't changed much in the 50+ years I've been hiking on it. A few more people in the popular spots, more gadgets (I'm not fond of electronics on the trail, but they don't particularly bother me, either) and more female hikers, which I'm all for! Near as I can tell, the rocks haven't moved much.

Images

seems like everything was better when we were younger.
    maybe were just younger

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I think in some ways the trail is better today than it was years ago. It's been moved away from towns, road walks have been reduced to practically nothing and the corridor is protected from development almost its entire length. Also the trail is longer and better maintained. Yes there's more people hiking but I see that as a good thing. More interest means the trail will continue to get the funding it needs to continue.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    ...from a know it all. By the way are you on the internet posting this? No hard feelings but you know you're troll-ing to throw that out there.

P.S. call me on your cell phone any time.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++