WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Ridge's SouthBound Question

The website below has a huge amount of information and describes in detail where they have searched. It might take a bit to see it all as it's in many different posts. I think they have looked south but not exactly sure as I don't know the areas they are describing. If you're hiking, have hiked the PCT and know the area then maybe you can verify here if they have.

[email protected]

Default Ridge's SouthBound Question

The previous was an incorrect address

http://www.archivum.info/[email protected]/2005-05/

Thanks, but you didn't need to apologize. John is a very good friend of yours, and you're right, I only hiked with him on occasional group hikes. I was hoping searchers would find John safe and sound, but so much time has passed. He did love the trail more than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by chooked
    I was too harsh and over the top with my reply to Abby. I was trying to remind everyone that John's intent was good and that he wanted nothing more than to be on the trail. It seemed like the conversation had turned away from the loss of his life to "no wonder he's lost" discussion. I shouldn't have been so aggressive towards you Abby and I too apologize for the way I came reacted.

Someday, we'll all walk together.....

Section Hiker Shot Gun from GA to NH Deerleg's Avatar
    Images

This is very sad…has anyone heard any new news since the beginning of the month?

Below is a quote from an e-mail I received from Brian Barnhart an SB AT thru hiker from 2001 who is currently on the PCT. Sounds like conditions have been tough this spring.

“"The Khaki Crew" took a short rest, and
    bought some new equipment. We were transported from "Kennedy Meadows"
    California in the southern Sierras to Manning Park in Canada. This
    would have been the end of the Pacific Crest Trail if we had been
    able to cross the Sierra Mountains. Unfortunately, they were snow
    and ice covered; the trail was not passable.”
    Kevin

Journal Entries
    Images

<TABLE cellPadding=10 width="90%" bgColor=#ffffff border=1><TBODY><TR><TD><CENTER>Riverside County Sheriff's Department
    MISSING HIKER

</CENTER> <CENTER>Hiker John Donovan, age 60, of Virginia.
    5'08" stocky build.
    </CENTER>

Began hiking the Pacific Crest Trail in April and was last seen near the junction of Highway 371 and Highway 74 east of Anza on May 2nd. He was expected to pick up supply packages at the Cabazon Post Office 3 to 5 days later, but has not arrived. Consequently, he is expected to be located on or near the Pacific Crest Trail in the San Jacinto Wilderness area of the San Bernardino National Forest.

Additional Identifying information:

Uses a green tarp for shelter, which also serves as a poncho; gray windpants; light beige or possibly yellow pack; typically remains clean-shaven during long hikes.

Anyone with information relating to his possible location is being requested to contact the Riverside County Sheriff's Hemet Station at (951) 791-3400. <CENTER>Printable flyer - Adobe pdf format </CENTER>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Default Missing hiker

Apparently they haven't found him yet?
    mini-m.

Default Any news on the search efforts?

My husband, currently on the PCT, has asked me to check on the latest info. Does anyone know if the search is ongoing? Any info at all?

I thought I read that the search was ended. It was suspected he walked into a snow storm so he may not be found 'til next spring, the body I mean. Correct me if I am wrong someone.

Here is what I had read right on this site.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9377

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikeLite
    Here is what I had read right on this site.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9377
    well, i think they're going to continue looking, i mean there is just no sign of him at all? i don't think anyhow?

Default Found his campsite...

...and he unknowingly helps two hikers a year after disappearing:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/10/los....ap/index.html

Thanks for posting this update, I've often wondered about his fate. I sort-of hope that they do not find his remains, so that he will always be apart of something he loved, and an object of folklore.

[QUOTE=RancidI sort-of hope that they do not find his remains, so that he will always be apart of something he loved, and an object of folklore.[/QUOTE]
    But... it would be nice, and possibly useful, to know exactly where that camp the two hikers ran across was. It could help answer questions like how did he get there from when he was last seen, and does there need to be more/different signage, etc.

-BSquared

Seems like he was almost there- to the side trail, but ended up on the other side of the mountain. I've heard people predicting this would happen ever since ultralight was marketed and became popular. Kinda surprised it hasn't happened more often. Another hiker died a few years ago in bad conditions on the PCT, now that I think about it. Don't know if his gear was a factor though.

..........came onto 'Fuller Ridge' which would have been fine if it had of stayed on the western side of the mountain, but 'Fuller Ridge' was just caked in snow on the Northeast side and decided for some reason to follow the footprints that went straight down and got down a couple of hundred feet no change in the montain it went straight down, so I looked at the maps again , again no visual reference because of poor visability, looked at maps and saw I was heading down North face of 'San Jacinto' so decided to turn straight around headed back up and studied maps some more and decided if I was on 'Fuller Ridge' to follow the ridge line as far as possibe and lucky enough someone else had been in that direction which was helpful in a lot of areas cause I didn't have any crampons, kept checking the baring off the footprints and kept heading Northwesterly, sure enough came to fire service road and met up with the couple whose footprints I had been following and shook their hands and thanked them pretty much for getting me through 'Fuller Ridge'.............

this is part of my journal entry for the 9th of may 2005. those footprints went straight down. its around the time when Donovan went missing. i have the worst feeling thinking they could be Donovans. they only went down. and they were not fresh enough to be made on the 9th, but no older than a few days.

visibility was very poor but i am sure the footprints went down from the start of fuller ridge

Journal Entries
    Images

wow, i sure do hope they find his remains............was there a road near there???????

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++